• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A tale of three Larue's (Large frame review Part 3 - Switch Barrel PredatOBR- Complete 04APR24 )

bigjake83

Golden Shellback
Minuteman
  • May 19, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    The PredatOBR

This thread will be a Evolving Thread as new Large Frame Barrels come in, to include Craddocks new RTR barrel line which will be arriving next week.

As many of you know with the 2013 release of the Larue PredatOBR it's claim to fame is it's ability to be broken down into a compact package with multiple Calibers and quickly assembled, you know incase you need to have a Airplane drop to shoot down those pesky drones. 🙄

The idea behind a Switch Barrel Modular Rifle System with the renowned Larue quality machine work sounded pretty damn enticing, and would definitely give the LMT MWS a good run for it's money.

Because I already have the other two Larue Large Frame Gassers dialed in I wanted to do something different with the tOBR.

It's no secret that I enjoy testing and reviewing Large and Small Frame rifles and barrels from various manufacturers, and what better platform to conduct Large Frame Barrel testing on but the PredatOBR with its quick change barrel system?

I wanted to make the tOBR as versatile as possible so a purchased both Handguard length of 12.4" and 14.5" gives me the capability to run multiple barrel lengths.

Getting tired of the old reliable Black Rifle look I decided to have the tOBR Cerakoted in Midnight Bronze to compliment the FDE furniture.

Screenshot_20240403_164618_Gallery.jpg
    20240403_164757.jpg

Current Build Sheet is as follows:

Paul Ross 20" 6.5CM Bartlein / 1-8 Twist / 4 Groove / Rifle Length +1 Gas System / .800 Gas Block Journal / Medium Weight M110 Contour / 5/8x24 Threads.

20240215_195352.jpg

Paul Ross 16.5" .308 Bartlein / 1-10 Twist / 4 Groove / Intermediate Length Gas System / .800 Gas Block Journal / Medium Weight M110 Contour / 5/8x24 Threads. (STILL AWAITING DELIVERY)

As of two days ago I had a place holder for the 16.5" .308 Bartlein and have been using a like new (2011) Take Off 16" LW-50 Pre XTRAXN OBR Barrel that I've had for years, definitely the best Larue Barrel I've ever Scoped and a absolute pleasure to shoot in it's compact configuration. The Precision Armament Hypertap Muzzle brake is extremely effective with the shorter .308 Barrels, easily reducing the recoil by over 50-60% and giving a very linear straight to the rear recoil impulse.

20240404_101326.jpg

I had it cut down to 14.5" opened up the gas ports and Pin And Welded a Precision Armament Hypertap muzzle brake. The barrel is in pristine condition that is used mostly for plinking cheaper factory ammo, but it's no slouch in the accuracy department. I've never seen it shoot FGMM 168 over .75 MOA, usually averages .60 MOA or less.

Screenshot_20240215_214833_Gallery.jpg

Magpul FDE PRS Lite Stock.

JP H2 SCS.

Raidian Ambi Charging Handle.

Magpul MOE K2-XL Grip.

Battle Arms Development 60/90 Ambi Saftey.

Triggertech AR10 Diamond 2 Stage Trigger.

JP Left Side Magazine Release.

Strike Industries Enhanced Bolt Catch and Extended Right Side Magazine Release.

Larue HP Bolt.

Precision Armament. 308 Hypertap / Area 419 Hellfire Muzzle Brake.

So far testing with the 20" Bartlein 6.5CM Barrel has mirrored most of the same results as the OBR and Ptar.

The dots on the targets are 1/2"

20230922_133633.jpg
    20230925_143922.jpg

20231109_131753.jpg
    20231109_131814.jpg

So let's talk about some of the unique characteristics of the tOBR.

The tOBR has a Quick Change Barrel and Handguard system that allows for a variety of Caliber options and Handguard lengths. The handguards latches have adjustable tension set screws that allow you to adjust the alignment and how tight you want the handguard to mate up to the upper receiver.

20240401_092451.jpg
    20240401_092434.jpg

The max inner diameter of the OBR and Ptar are the same at 1.525" which allows for a generous amount of room to install up to a .875 adjustable gas block.

20240403_163601.jpg

The tOBR has a very generous maximum Internal vertical of 1.928" but is restricted to a limited narrower maximum Internal width of 1.256". This leads to a more slimline feel but restricts your Adjustable Gas Block options to .800 or less.

20240401_092611.jpg

20240401_103833.jpg
    20240401_093616.jpg

There are in fact some subtle differences between LaRue Barrel extensions and your standard DPMS extensions, that you should know before rebarreling your Larue rifles.

20240403_173614.jpg

The Larue Barrel extensions are .011" longer than SD DPMS barrel exstenions. If you're OCD as shit like I am there are 3 options to address this compatibility gap. When ordering a custom barrel you can have your smith turn down the barrel extension flange .011" on the side that mates up against your receiver face allowing the barrel to sit deeper, this is the route I take with all my custom ordered Bartlein barrels for my Larue rifles.

20240403_174452.jpg

Or you can turn down the receiver face .011", the only issue with this approach is if you decide to run your old Larue barrels you'll have to use a .011" shim to bring the Larue exstenion back up.

Now I have ran multiple off the shelf barrels in my Larues over the years, Proof Research JP, Craddock Precision.. And have never had an issue with those barrels and not turning anything down, the Carrier just simply sits .011" further forward inside the upper receiver and when running JP SCS you can use a 5/8 shim washer to make sure the rear of the carrier and the face of the Buffer come together without a gap between the two.

As of right now the tOBR has a new Craddock Precision Rock Creek RTR 22" .308 barrel Installed, again without turning anything down. With my Custom Order barrels I have them Headspaced to the new Larue HP Bolts, but for this setup I'm running a Lantac Full Mass Carrier and JP HP Bolt.

20240404_095522.jpg

20240403_152636.jpg

As I said in the beginning the tOBR is going to be my main barrel testing foundation for this evolving thread. I will be making regular updates in this thread on whatever Large Frame Barrel I'm testing at the moment, so feel free to follow along and ask questions starting off with Craddocks new RTR barrel line.

Thanks again for reading, below are the up coming reviews.

(1) Big Brother 6.5CM, Little Brother .223 / JP LRI-20 and JP SCI-20 Matching Set.

(2) Craddock Precision RTR Barrels, starting with .308 With Precision Armament Hypertap Muzzle Brakes.

(3) V SEVEN. 14.5" .223 barrel

(4) Larue OBR in 6mm ARC With Precision Armament Hypertap muzzle brake.

Jake.

Last edited:
    Looking forward to # 3
    It will be interesting to see how that will compare to a JP barrel

The JP Rifles are both rocking the Paul Ross Bartlein Barrels as well.

The JP in house barrels are high quality and very accurate but I prefer the heavier contoured barrels for my PRS Gas Guns.

Reactions: Ernest 5.56
    I have a 16” tOBR in 308. I haven’t hardly shot it in the 6 years I’ve owned it. I’m almost finished doing load development with my 6.5CM Aero Proof. Going to focus on that LaRue next, hopefully the barrel is worthy.

I have a 16” tOBR in 308. I haven’t hardly shot it in the 6 years I’ve owned it. I’m almost finished doing load development with my 6.5CM Aero Proof. Going to focus on that LaRue next, hopefully the barrel is worthy.

Well if for some reason you're not happy with its performance, send me a PM.

Reactions: ZA206
    As a like minded Larue fan, I really enjoy these threads and will probably have to PM you soon about barrels. My 16" PredatAR 308 will probably need one once i'm done using it as a NV hog fun.

Really interested in hearing about this Larue OBR in 6mm ARC.

As a like minded Larue fan, I really enjoy these threads and will probably have to PM you soon about barrels. My 16" PredatAR 308 will probably need one once i'm done using it as a NV hog fun.

Really interested in hearing about this Larue OBR in 6mm ARC.

I wouldn't say I'm a LaRue "FAN" , I'm just making the best out of a very outdated design..

Truth be told, a lot of Larue barrels that have been coming my way for a long time now have substantial issues. Accuracy starts dropping off and they can't seen to understand why?

So the obvious solution is to upgrade the barrel. First step I always take is bore scope the barrels in question. There seems to be a trend lately of heavy corrosion by people who swear they diligently maintaining thier barrels.

IPC_2023-08-19.17.49.27.8000.jpg
    IPC_2023-08-19.17.50.10.4930.jpg
    IPC_2023-08-19.17.51.28.5850.jpg

I haven't sent any barrels out to test what this mysterious "REARDEN STEEL" is but just by paying attention and watching the oxidation process over time on a few barrels in the spare part bin that have had the outside barrel coating warn off and a few grinding/Spark and acid test I'd say it's a type of Chrome Moly Steel.
    20240331_090327.jpg

Last edited:
    I wouldn't say I'm a LaRue "FAN" , I'm just making the best out of a very outdated design..

Truth be told, a lot of Larue barrels that have been coming my way for a long time now have substantial issues. Accuracy starts dropping off and they can't seen to understand why?

So the obvious solution is to upgrade the barrel. First step I always take is bore scope the barrels in question. There seems to be a trend lately of heavy corrosion by people who swear they diligently maintaining thier barrels.

View attachment 8385632View attachment 8385633View attachment 8385634

I haven't sent any barrels out to test what this mysterious "REARDEN STEEL" is but just by paying attention and watching the oxidation process over time on a few barrels in the spare part bin that have had the outside barrel coating warn off and a few grinding/Spark and acid test I'd say it's a type of Chrome Moly Steel.
    View attachment 8385655
    The whole Rearden Steel thing was snake oil.

That being said, I was skeptical when Mark started making his own barrels but I’ll admit they do well.

Scratch the "fan" part. like-minded Larue owner... ha. I've got a few Larue factory rifles and have found similar results as you. I'm thinking about swapping out one of my 16" 5.56 PredatAR barrels to a 6.5 Grendel barrel.

ETA: Might talk myself into 6mm ARC instead once i end up reading about yours.

Reactions: bigjake83
    Scratch the "fan" part. like-minded Larue owner... ha. I've got a few Larue factory rifles and have found similar results as you. I'm thinking about swapping out one of my 16" 5.56 PredatAR barrels to a 6.5 Grendel barrel.

ETA: Might talk myself into 6mm ARC instead once i end up reading about yours.

I've done both, if you need any help send me a pm. Currently have a 18" Noveske 6.5G in a 5.56 OBR and having exceptional results.

First 5rds out of the Veske.
    Factory Hornady 123 Black

20240316_164248.jpg

Jake

As many of you know with the 2013 release of the Larue PredatOBR it's claim to fame is it's ability to be broken down into a compact package with multiple Calibers and quickly assembled, you know incase you need to have a Airplane drop to shoot down those pesky drones. 🙄

That's not what it was designed for but I know you're just being cheeky. I guess if you don't know, you can just have some fun with it. But if you want to compare it in it's original purpose, grab a Rem MSR, and Surgeon CSR...chamber your 308 barrels in 1:8" and test the limits of subsonic and supersonic ammo out one barrel, in a gun that can be easily concealed but retain RTZ when reassembled.

Regardless, great review so far. Look forward to seeing more. Mainly how those barrels perform but I'd be curious how you view the Tobr's quick takedown lock up and return to zero when disassembled and reassembled, hundreds of iterations, over time. Does the system loosen and induce slop over time? Or does still remain tight and conducive to zero retention?