• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes A Vortex Customer Service Experience

Doc1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2009
Orlando, FL
<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">See UPDATE below</span></span>

I was looking for an economical Spotting Scope (SS). I normally use a Zeiss, however for the 300 yard range and under I decided to set up an economical SS – as several people normally use it. This way I could save the Zeiss for the longer ranges and for my personal use.

Friends suggested Winchester, Nikon, and Leupold. One suggested trying a Vortex. I decided on a Vortex Skyline 20-60x80 (straight). I received the SS and at first it functioned fine for our 300 yard range. While it is not even near the Zeiss quality (fit, function, glass, etc.), neither is it the Zeiss $$$’s. However, on about my 6th outing the SS began to not range and focus correctly. The image quality became poor. After allowing another person to evaluate it and concurring with my opinion, I decided to contact Vortex.

I e-mailed Vortex and they advised me to ship it to them for a warranty evaluation. They even sent me a Fed-Ex call tag! Upon delivery at their factory, they stated it was performing to factory standards. I was rather surprised as that was not the case on the user’s end – but perhaps I was expecting a Zeiss at $500 (I had been using the Zeiss for 4 consecutive days prior to going to the range with the Vortex this last time …)? However, since I had been dissatisfied with the SS, Vortex offered to send me – for FREE – a Vortex Skyline 20-60x80 ED (angled). Free ED glass and angled eyepiece! I decided to try it.

Upon delivery I examined the new SS. I was attempting to set it up on the Skyline Tripod that came with the original unit I had sent back – and the Tripod broke! This is a not a high-quality Tripod. It is mostly plastic and one of the plastic knobs snapped. For a $500 SS I did expect something a little better. However, I e-mailed and called Vortex and they responded by sending out an upgraded Tripod (VX Summit Shooting Stand). It arrived app. week later. The optics were sent 2 day and the tripod – ground. Vortex paid for all shipping!

Finally, at the range, the ED version revealed a definite improvement over the standard Skyline – indeed getting closer to my Zeiss (but still very short – outer edges not as clear, the adjustments not as fine, the knobs not as firm and precise (too much play), etc.) – BUT at not near the cost. The angled version, as on my Zeiss, added consistency in my SS viewing, but the focus knobs on the Vortex were rather lose. They presently work, but I can see possible future problems with the focus knobs. The Tripod (VX Summit Shooting Stand) is excellent – metal (not plastic), better adjustments, and more versatility, etc. Vortex has other tripod offerings that I feel assured would function even better than this one – but for its intended use – it works well.

While the ‘standard’ Skyline is not for me (the $200 Winchester is better IMO and comes with a kit – better tripod and it includes a hard case and better tripod) – as I am spoiled by a Zeiss quality – Vortex’s Customer Service is EXCELLENT! I’m impressed.

Let me summarize:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Vortex upgraded the standard Skyline model to an ED model at no charge.

2. Vortex upgraded the straight eyepiece to an angled at no charge.

3. Vortex upgraded the Tripod to a VX Summit Shooting Stand at no charge.

4. The values of these upgrades total over $320 retail list price.

5. Vortex paid shipping BOTH ways.</div></div>Vortex’s Customer Service and Warranty in one of the BEST in the weapon industry that I have experienced. Even when one of their scopes meets their “factory standards,” Vortex is not satisfied until they exceed their “customer’s standards.” Vortex’s Customer Service is a step above many! I know of an optics company where I may buy with confidence. However, while I will use some Vortex products for my lower-end optic needs – at present I will not consider them for my upper-end needs, as in the field I need more than just a company’s customer service to work. A good warranty is needed, but optimum optics and accessories are as well.

PS: This was sent to Vortex prior to posting. Here was their reply (edited for names, etc.):

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.... It's very rewarding to know that one's actions and efforts are appreciated. Vortex Optics welcomes all feedback (both positive & negative) from our customers. Hearing from our customers helps us to continue to improve our products and our service.

I'm glad to hear that the ED Skyline and the new tripod are doing a better job for you. I felt confident that they would, but what matters, is what you think, not what I think.

If you ever need anything else, just let me know. ....</div></div>

Re: A Vortex Customer Service Experience

Hopefully some of these things you mentioned will be easy for Vortex to remedy without adding much cost (e.g. loose knobs). While others, like the type of tripod, I would guess are a case of matching the competition. It's hard because lots of shoppers just look at the feature set rather than quality and might choose another scope just because it came with a tripod. I tested a Bushnell scope and the tripod was so bad I'd rather they knocked $10 off the price to put towards something decent.

Overall, Vortex more than did right by you. However, it would be great if they could charge $50-100 more (and have consumers accept that higher cost) for a product that didn't have to have these problems.

I somewhat agree. The knob that is too loose may just be on this one SS - not sure. The other one (less expensive) that was returned had better knobs (focus ...). However, I am not too worried about it as it can be returned/repaired later - if needed. Right now it is not effecting funtion.

I do think they should get rid of the complete plastic tripod. I think they will have a lot of returns on it....

I couldn't agree more about the tripod that comes with the Vortex Skyline 20-60x80 scope. I didn't expect much to begin with and will replace it asap with a decent one, but wish they would just leave it out of the package and put the (minimal?) cost of the tripod to better use.

It is good to hear their c/s is excellent. Thanks for the report.

Wow, you don't get that often. It's great to hear about companies like this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _RJ_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, you don't get that often. It's great to hear about companies like this. </div></div>

+1

It's stories like this that helped me decide to go Vortex over other, comparable companies. Well done guys!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _RJ_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, you don't get that often. It's great to hear about companies like this. </div></div>

+100

They don't claim to be the end all be all of optics like Pistol Pete's Counter Snipers (LOL) but to back up their product like that is by far the main reason I will be spending some of my money with them. For an inexpensive optic with great features and a Stand Up Warranty they are well worth it in my book..

I got a new Razor HD scope, and didn't want to bother with mounting it to find out whether it does or doesn't have the "locktide" problem.

I contacted Vortex support, and they offered to replace it with a new one that is certain to be free from that problem. I chose instead to have my scope repaired (had my reasons) - and they did it within one week. Vortex paid shipping both ways, of course.

Needless to say, I am happy with the scope and with the service. (No I haven't mounted it yet, just checked "by hand" - but the mounting will come soon.)

I agree, Vortex has excellent customer service. I had problems with a Strikefire red dot, and they took care of me quickly.

They are just as great to deal with from a dealer’s perspective too. They bend over backwards to do anything and everything they possibly can to make things go smoothly. If any problems arise they are never concerned about determining whose fault the problem is they only want to resolve it as quickly and professionally as possible.

They are resetting the gold standard that Leupold established.

I probably wouldn't expect them to offer an upgrade to anyone in your situation. It would be WAY too easy to take advantage of that.

Well, believe it or not I have something else to add.

I had the scope mounted for about 10 hours on its new bipod (Vortex Shooting Stand). The bipod is well built, but the HD SS is heavier than the original Skyline SS. Therefore, this is too much scope for this particular Tripod.

I e-mailed Vortex and asked for my options. They are exchanging it for a "sample model" Ridgeline. Though it is heavier (by 2 lbs) - I think it will work better.

This company is amazing!!!

Doc...I'm glad you had a good experience with Vortex with your Vortex 80. I'm sorry to report I am having an opposite experience so far with the same scope--and with Vortex--but it's still early in the process for me.

I bought a Vortex Skyline 20-60x80 non-ED spotter a few days ago and took it to the range on a mostly sunny but cool day. Mirage not a factor. I wanted something that would let me see .223 holes at 220 yards with my less-than-perfect eyesight. I had tried some real cheapies and as you might expect was very disappointed. I was hoping this more expensive ($450) scope with 80mm objective from a company receiving rave reviews for its optics was the answer to my prayer. Wrongo!

Chromatic aberration was pretty strong and gave me erroneous readings on the Champion VisiShot target I was using (similar to Shoot-N-C but orange hit marks on black background instead of fluorescent pea green). Very distracting and misleading because It wasn't until I walked the 220 yards to retrieve my target did I see I hadn't done nearly as well as looking through the Vortex indicated I was doing. The CA was reddish orange around the thicker white lines that make up the center diamond of the target, making it look like multiple hits in that area. So of course, thinking I was already near the center, I hadn't made the proper riflescope adjustments, and have that to do all over again. Also, I found the looseness in the fine focus knob you mentioned and the same crappy tripod. I expected the tripod and used my own sturdy one, but the other things were a real surprise.

I emailed Vortex about the CA problem 2-3 days ago. No bomb-throwing rant, just an explanation of the CA problem I had encountered and asking if there were any steps I could take to lessen it. Use less contrasty targets, shoot at different times of day or less sunny conditions, etc. At the same time, I posted this same report on the Opticstalk forum. I got many knowledgeable,informative and helpful responses from the OT forum; but sad to say, Vortex has not even given me the courtesy of a reply to my email to them.

So...I'm glad you had a good experience. I'm not trying to hijack your thread, just wondering how you got such a happy and willing resolution to your problems with this scope when I seem to be having trouble getting any response at all.

Thanks for listening. Not trying to rain on your parade.

baseleg,

I am sorry to hear you are having this experience. You probably need the ED model. The past time we were at the range we were shooting 223s. It is a MUCH better SS.

It is a possibility that your e-mail did not get thru. I would call (800-426-0048) Vortex and ask to speak to Brian Widder, Customer Care Manager, or e-mail him at [[email protected]]. He normally returns e-mails within 24 hours.

Baseleg,
I am extremely sorry that you are having this experience. I would have to say that our server must not have let your email through to us, this happens sometimes
Please contact us at your earliest convenience. Like Doc1911 said ;"contact Brian Widder at bwidder@vortexoptics" he will get you taken care of. His direct line is
1-800-426-0048 ext 328.

If anyone ever does not receive a response from an email sent to us within 24hrs (on business days) <span style="font-weight: bold">PLEASE</span> call us immediately.

Again we are very sorry that this has happened.

Scott

Update:

This new SS has been working well UNTIL this past weekend. Now 4 of us, including me, is having difficulty with it showing clear images (308 hits) at "300" yards (worked well at 100 and 200 ...). Maybe it was just the weather and mirage (more to contend with now ...) - I don't know - but seeing holes at 300 yards was impossible yesterday ... (I could see them thru the S&B at 16x, but not though the Vortex? Someone asked yesterday, if glass quality (i.e. coatings, etc.) deteriorate over time (two months or so)? I'm going to try it again during this week.

Frankly, I get tired of shipping a SS off for repairs and then waiting for another to arrive (I did this once for the scope and then had to do it again for their tripod ...BOTH replaced with 'better' (? - more expensive models). Moreover, I really can't expect Vortex to replace it with something better (next step up is a Razor HD ...). So, if it DOES NOT work well again - I will be junking it as a mid-range Spotter. Therefore, I 'presently' cannot recommend the Vortex w/ED -

At Vortex's suggestion, taking the eyepiece out of the Vortex and immediately re-installing it worked. The SS cleared up at 300 yards. Though this SS has not been abused - at all - now I know I have a problem that can reproduce itself any moment. However, at this point in time it probably cannot be reproduced by Vortex ...

I'm sending Vortex and e-mail to see what they say ... I wonder if the construction of all Vortex SS are the same - concerning the eye-piece ...

Doc,

What does just removing-reinstalling the eyepiece do to clear up the vision?

Even if that fixes the problem every time I'm not sure I would want to be removing the eyepiece out in the field or on the range. Wind + blowing dust and dirt might give you a bigger problem.

Let us know how it turns out.

Baseleg

Vortex suggested that: (1) there may have been fog in the lens and/or (2) the eyepiece was not on correctly (loose). That was the purpose of removing and reattaching it. However, none of us remember any type of foggy lens and the eyepiece was on correctly - firm. I agree with you though - "I would want to be removing the eyepiece out in the field or on the range..."

Vortex has offered to accept the present SS for a trade-in on a Razor (different eyepiece) or insure I get the funds I paid for it back from the place of purchase.

So, I need to make a decision ...