• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A191 Chamber?

G

New barrel is being chambered to A191 specs for a few reasons. Will accuracy be that much different than a match chamber, everything else the same?

Re: A191 Chamber?

Great, that is what I was hoping for.
Was your brass life any different?

I was sending 190SMK's at 3125-50 via the chamber I had and was getting 6-7, but had to flame the necks after 3.

Do you know what kind of pressure the A191 ammo runs as normal?

I don't the pressure off the top of my head. I'm sure it is in the high 50', low 60's. I never saw pressure signs at the load I was running, which was at 3050.

The thing from my understanding about the A191 (The Navy 300wm load) is it is essentially a chamber made for the 190smk specifically, I believe that is where the big difference lies. With a standard match chamber, as you know, you can run longer bullets. I wouldn't be surprised if faster velocities with the 190 would be obtainable. It would just depend on your requirements.

fwiw,
The particular rifle Mike shot was mine first. It averaged, by Oehler 35P, 3149 FPS with either FCC 93or WCC 95 and later. As a point of interest TRUE A191 chambers, those cut for NAVSPECWAR, were solid pilot reamers without a ton of attention. Recently they've gone to live pilots...fwiw & imho

Regards, Matt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt in Virginia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fwiw,
The particular rifle Mike shot was mine first. It averaged, by Oehler 35P, 3149 FPS with either FCC 93or WCC 95 and later. As a point of interest TRUE A191 chambers, those cut for NAVSPECWAR, were solid pilot reamers without a ton of attention. Recently they've gone to live pilots...fwiw & imho

Regards, Matt.</div></div>

I rifle that I should never have gotten rid of.

I had factory black hills 190 smk loads touching 3000...from what the guys at Crane have told me the a191 loads are zingers..IIRC 3150 is what they expected on average (and seems about consistent with what was mentioned already)

A191 runs about 2975 fps out of a Mark 13 at 75 degrees, but the powder is very temperature sensitive, and at 100 degrees they're probably running around 3050.