• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A5 buffer setup using A2 extension with spacer?

Casswick

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2024
Phoenix, AZ
Im in process of planning out a 6.5 Grendel AR that will have a fixed stock, either the Magpul PRS or Fab RAPS. I would like to use a rifle length system as I already have the spare parts, and would like to try a low weight carrier and buffer setup. My intention is to try to make a A5 buffer system with a rifle length tube. Based on what I have found online:

Carbine extension: 7 - 7.25"
A5/SR25 extension: 7.75 - 8"
Rifle extension: 9.5 - 10"

Sources:

So does it a fair assumption that putting a ~2" delrin spacer within a rifle tube would give it effectively the same internal depth as an A5 extension?

Brownells has some premade options that could work, however they may add an extra 1/2" or more to convert into a carbine length rather than A5.

Yes, you can use the rifle to carbine spacer and just cut it down for an A5 buffer. The length of the spacer would be the difference between a rifle length buffer and an Vltor A5 buffer. so approx. 5.92" - 3.995"= 1.925", but verify these dimensions and there are tolerances.