• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A5 studs??

Canuck257

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2009
BC. Canada
I have just received an unfinished/inlet-ted McMillan A5 for my TRG-S 338LM. I plan to bed it (obviously), paint it, fit a 1" decelerator, two recessed studs for a sling and a front stud for a bi-pod. The rifle will mostly be shot from the bi-pod but will also be shot from a bench on occasions so I would like the fore-end to be as uncluttered as possible.
Questions:
Where should I position the recessed studs and how far back from the for-end tip should the bi-pod stud be?

Re: A5 studs??

I could use some measurements on this please guys. Would someone be kind enough to measure the locations of the studs on their A5 or similar stock to give me a guide?

Happy Christmas to all.

The front stud is anywhere from 2" to 2 1/2" back from the front/tip of the forearm and the rear is 1" to 1/2" from the rear edge of the fiberglass.

Personally, I'd have one bipod stud and three QD flush cups on the side of the stock. One flush cup front left, one rear left and one on the rear bottom.

What type of bipod? Reason I ask if you use an atlas you can mount a BT17 rail and it already has a flush cup mount built in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What type of bipod? Reason I ask if you use an atlas you can mount a BT17 rail and it already has a flush cup mount built in. </div></div>

Yes, if using the Atlas you'd need the rail instead but keep the flush cups. There is an Atlas rail with a flush cup built in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What type of bipod? Reason I ask if you use an atlas you can mount a BT17 rail and it already has a flush cup mount built in. </div></div>

I'm currently planning on using a Harris.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The front stud is anywhere from 2" to 2 1/2" back from the front/tip of the forearm and the rear is 1" to 1/2" from the rear edge of the fiberglass.

Personally, I'd have one bipod stud and three QD flush cups on the side of the stock. One flush cup front left, one rear left and one on the rear bottom. </div></div>

This sounds very sensible to me. Can you give me some guidance as to positions for the flush cups on the sides of the butt and forearm?

Not an A5, but I think you'll get a good idea of the flush cup locations on the side of this HTG McMillan:

DSCF0615.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Canuck257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This sounds very sensible to me. Can you give me some guidance as to positions for the flush cups on the sides of the butt and forearm? </div></div>

There really isnt a magic location for FC's, just place them in a thick secure location. On the rear/side of the stock, just be careful as to not install the FC under a stock pack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Canuck257 said:
This sounds very sensible to me. Can you give me some guidance as to positions for the flush cups on the sides of the butt and forearm? </div></div>

There really isnt a magic location for FC's, just place them in a thick secure location. On the rear/side of the stock, just be careful as to not install the FC under a stock pack. [/quote

Damn, just when I think I have all the answers!!! What's a stock pack and where are they located?

Duhhh! I thought it was some hidden support within the stock
confused.gif
I don't plan to use one so it should not be an issue.
Thanks guys.
grin.gif