• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AA batteries in your Coyote Call (Amazon Basics?)

FieldGaugeFailure

Dry firing at fridge magnets
Minuteman
Feb 29, 2024
Southern Colorado
Has anyone tried the Amazon Basic AA batteries in their call? Unlike stuff like my PVS14, I don't use lithium batteries in my call, so I'd prefer them to not leak/foul. Given that they're so cheap, I was wondering if anyone tried them in their calls and experienced issues with them (aforementioned potential leaking, really short life, etc).

Has anyone tried the Amazon Basic AA batteries in their call? Unlike stuff like my PVS14, I don't use lithium batteries in my call, so I'd prefer them to not leak/foul. Given that they're so cheap, I was wondering if anyone tried them in their calls and experienced issues with them (aforementioned potential leaking, really short life, etc).
Get these…they don’t leak and they are not some last bin sorted crap.

Energizer Ultimate No Leak Lithium

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Islander
Other than being very expensive, why not use lithium? They perform much better, especially in the cold. I don't get out a lot, but a set of Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAs last me pretty much an entire season. Not sure how many sets of cheap alkaline I would go through, but total price might not end up being much different.
Not sure what caller you have, but many of them make rechargeable lithium packs.

Agree, L91s go in a ton of stuff, even some kids toys. The power drain curve means lithium chemistry of all sorts power electronics notably longer than alkalines, and lithium primaries are much more effective in the cold, so I'd 100% use them in anything like the call that goes outside.

Reactions: 1911hombre
Buy good batteries/change once

=

Buy mound of cheap batteries change lots

I’m to poor to buy cheap stuff more often

Reactions: 6.5SH and Baron23

=

I can see your point, but with the frequency that I use my caller, it wouldn't be cost effective. Battery changing, unfortunately is inevitable very regularly.

I am on the expensive-and-rarely-change side also. Here's one summary of studies actual EEs and so on do where it indicates how unit price cost is not a true measure, and cost per hour is lower for lithium primaries.

Also, can keep batteries in things like high dollar electro-optics as no chance they leak, explode, whatever. So, ready to go at any moment.

=

Is more that something changed for the worse with alkaline batteries regardless of brand. ALL of them leak, even in the package after a short while.
About 20+ years ago Kirkland batteries were great, never had one leak. Then they turned to crap as did the brand names.

For me it isn't about how long the battery provides proper output, it is about the battery leaking inside an expensive or hard to replace device.

Its cheap battery they may not necessary foul or leak ,but I wouldn't count on them lasting very long.

Cheap Dollar Tree Store AA's is the only batteries I buy for the E-Caller. I just toss them and refill fresh ( 10 AA's ) battery carriage after every time I go out .
Also I make a rule of never leaving Battery Pack plugged-in to E-call if not using. I think there a slow drain with the huge slew of inboard programed features the foxpro's run now.

All my other NV items I run Lithium or Recharge on 18650's

Went from using alkaline batteries in my cams and changing them 2-3 times a year, to buying lithium and changing them once a year.

HOWEVER... lithium battery prices being what they are, it's now cheaper to change them 3-4 times year. :(

For a call, where there's really no good reason to leave them in all the time, leaking would be the least of my concerns.

Cheap Dollar Tree Store AA's is the only batteries I buy for the E-Caller. I just toss them and refill fresh ( 10 AA's ) battery carriage after every time I go out .
Also I make a rule of never leaving Battery Pack plugged-in to E-call if not using. I think there a slow drain with the huge slew of inboard programed features the foxpro's run now.

All my other NV items I run Lithium or Recharge on 18650's
FP and Lucky Duck both have a parasitic drain on batteries, can confirm from first hand experience. I have five callers, only two of them are currently in use. I pulled out the other three to loan out to friends, and they all said my batteries were dead/near dead.

For a call, where there's really no good reason to leave them in all the time, leaking would be the least of my concerns.

I use my callers 3-4 times a week. I stopped taking batteries out a long time ago.

So you must go through them quickly, and leaking shouldn't be an issue.
I do, battery changes are quite often, however, I've never used AB batteries, hence why I'm asking. I don't know how far down the bottom of the barrel they are, and if they leak just by looking at them.

Went from using alkaline batteries in my cams and changing them 2-3 times a year, to buying lithium and changing them once a year.

HOWEVER... lithium battery prices being what they are, it's now cheaper to change them 3-4 times year. :(

For some devices rechargeables are great. Lithium chemistry so get all the life and safety expectations but if freezing weather is possible, I avoid them. The electrolyte in lithium batteries is still prone to freezing. They make low-temp batteries but all other considerations aside, they don't do them in AAs! Anyway, when the electrolyte freezes it works less well AND freezing causes permanent damage.

Maybe 1% life reduction per freeze/thaw cycle so who cares for primary cells, but for rechargeables, your battery is slowly dying if it freezes occasionally.

Just good to keep in mind.

Reactions: FieldGaugeFailure
For some devices rechargeables are great. Lithium chemistry so get all the life and safety expectations but if freezing weather is possible, I avoid them. The electrolyte in lithium batteries is still prone to freezing. They make low-temp batteries but all other considerations aside, they don't do them in AAs! Anyway, when the electrolyte freezes it works less well AND freezing causes permanent damage.

Maybe 1% life reduction per freeze/thaw cycle so who cares for primary cells, but for rechargeables, your battery is slowly dying if it freezes occasionally.

Just good to keep in mind.
Yeah I don't touch anything rechargeable that gets exposed to elements for extended/frequent periods of time, it's a severe waste. I also carry double the amount of batteries I need, just in case anyone on my team needs some spares, and I'm not going to start handing out rechargeables.

Reactions: shoobe01
I use Energizer Lithium in just about everything that uses AA or AAA. It saves the annoyance of more frequent battery changes that I experienced when I used mostly Duracell - and it saves money as they last much longer.

Paying twice as much for batteries that last 3 times as long saves money in the long run if cost is an issues for you.

I am running Tenergy Premium rechargeable AA in my trail cameras. What is weird is you can charge them up and put them in the camera and it only shows 2/3 on the battery gauge on the camera. But then they seem to last a few months.

One thing to look for is how big around they are. They fit in the trail camera fine, but they will not fit in my feeder or my weasel ball.

I think the OP had his mind made up prior to posting. Just looking for confirmation.

I think the OP had his mind made up prior to posting. Just looking for confirmation.

Yeah, OP had his mind made up so much, that OP went with some Energizer Industrials.

I really was asking about AB batteries. If someone told me they used them and they leaked all over the place and had horrible battery life, that would have been useful information.
Screen Shot 2024-04-02 at 09.57.48.png

Couldn't one safely assume that extremely inexpensive Amazon batteries are sourced from whichever Chinese manufacturer offered the cheapest price? I can't help but doubt that quality was ever considered.

Couldn't one safely assume that extremely inexpensive Amazon batteries are sourced from whichever Chinese manufacturer offered the cheapest price? I can't help but doubt that quality was ever considered.
Yes, that's why I was asking to see if anyone had experiences that differ from the assumption of quality. But you know, here we are, 23 posts into a topic where the subject wasn't discussed at all, and that's how asking questions on the internet works.

You were given sound advice but it was not what you wanted to hear..
“If you need to ask the question, you already know the answer”

You were given sound advice but it was not what you wanted to hear..
“If you need to ask the question, you already know the answer”

lol, my man, don't get so butthurt that I don't care about peoples opinions on lithium batteries. I didn't ask about lithium. Yeah, I know they're good, and I use them, but I wasn't asking about them.

Not trouble at all. Amused. I’ve seen enough threads here over many years to know exactly where this one was headed.
Good luck with whatever you use.

An older video, but I doubt much has changed in the non rechargeable battery world.

Saw that video while looking for battery tests on YT. There is also a good video from a dude doing tests on trail cameras in the cold overnight, where he measured the voltage in the morning as well as the amount of minutes recorded.

Nope. Amazon wants their Basics to be considered baseline-but-quality so get pretty good to as-good-as-it-gets quality for many things. Their rechargeables, for example, at least used to be from the same factory as Eneloops. Anecdotally, I have had crazy good results, and their lithium 9v is my standard because the Energizers are weirdly squared off, so do not FIT into some devices I own! (I wish they made a lithium primary AA).

As for the above video, you don't need to break in pick locks on file cabinets but can use specific ways they do stuff like discharge to identify what's inside the battery, so therefore who made it.

I run energizer rechargeables. My caller sees a lot of hours and lithiums would break me.

Theyll last all week in the summer (using it every morning for 2-6 hours usually).

They’ll run a whole day in the winter, even at -20.

Reactions: Herb Stoner