• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AA2230 and XM193

planalpha

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2010
PNW
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to match the XM193 with AA2230 and if so, how many grains did you use.
TIA

Re: AA2230 and XM193

I get the same performance, as measured on my Chronograph, with 25.5 gr of AA2230. From a 16" bbl I read 3015 fps which is exactly what a commercial box of XM193 reads when fired from the same rifle. 55 gr Montana Gold bullets in LC brass.

Thanks Deadshot2!
I'm using the same bullet/brass so this ought to work great.

I stuck with "magazine length" for my finished OAL as the powder filled the case fairly full. Didn't want to play with pressure issues a shorter OAL might have brought on. Don't know why I worry though as all my AR's are 5.56 chambered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadshot2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I stuck with "magazine length" for my finished OAL as the powder filled the case fairly full. Didn't want to play with pressure issues a shorter OAL might have brought on. Don't know why I worry though as all my AR's are 5.56 chambered. </div></div>

The 55s are a shorter bullet and being such, they can be seated deeper to get you to that 2.220" COAL. There's no harm in cheating them out a little bit. If you're crimping and want to be on the cannelure, you're probably going to have to go shorter, but I'm not a big crimping fan, even for my two ARs, because my die puts enough neck tension on the bullet, for the RP brass that I mostly use.

I now have bushing necks sizers in tandem, so I don't even worry about different headstamps any longer.

AA-2230 is a great powder for the 55s/223 combo.

Chris