• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AAC 260 Barrel

AJBello

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2008
Salem, OR
I recently picked one of the AAC 260 barrels up. When I was trying to do some research on it, it didn't seem like there was much out there yet. A few specific question threads but not much else. So here's some compiled links and info, and some pics of the barrel as received from MidwayUSA.

AAC Page

AAC 260 Barrel on Midway

PDF Install Instructions

Some miscellaneous quotes from rsilvers regarding the barrels (from SilencerTalk):

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers (source = SilencerTalk)</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It is actually a straight taper and very rigid. The weight is where it matters, near the back. We did finite element analysis. The last 3 inches are not tapered so you can use an over the barrel can.

I consider these premium barrels. They are made to AAC engineering drawings on CNC equipment which is why the price is not high considering their features (I paid $796 for an AI barrel with a thread protector). They benefit from us having access to Remington drawings for fit but the chambers do not use Remington reamers. They also benefit from our knowledge to hold threads concentric to the bore, and the drawing requires it.

Bolt guns barrels are 4140, AR barrels are 4150.
Because you are asking - that makes me think I need to clarify - CM is better for barrels which are nitrided. Stainless is only barrel for raw barrels.

The medium barrel is heavier than an OEM varmint contour near the action (but makes up for it later on with the taper), and so unless you get an M24 type stock, you can expect to need some inletting.
</div></div>

Another quote from here on SH regarding throat length:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you load a Sierra 142 or Lapua 139, they won't touch the lands if loaded to SAAMI OAL. But yes, if you want to load beyond SAAMI length (but less than full mag length), you can touch the lands. Pressure goes up when you touch lands though.
</div></div>

All that said, it seemed like an intriguing option to me, and an easy way to spruce up my LTR. Here are some pics as the barrel came from Midway:

DSCN1334.jpg

DSCN1335.jpg

DSCN1333.jpg

Side by side with factory LTR barrel (which was cut to 18.5" and SAS brake added):

DSCN1331.jpg

Resting on McM HTG with Rem Varmint barrel contour (LTR, SPS Tac, etc contour):

DSCN1328.jpg

The barrel actually ends up pretty thin at the end, .750" for the last three inches I believe. The taper is straight though and fairly heavy, requiring some inletting on common Rem varmint contour stocks.

So it's with a local 'smith right now getting installed. More to come with a range report which should tell if these are a good option or not. AAC won't say who the blanks come from so I'm interested to see how they shoot...

Re: AAC 260 Barrel

midway put them up for 375 a few nights back and I almost bought one for my aging LTR/infant AAC Cyclone...

If they do that again I just might!

Got it back from the 'smith today all installed. I like it... it balances nicely with the generous taper. 'Smith said he only had to take off about .002" for it to headspace, "barely had to touch it". Range report soon...

2603.jpg

2602.jpg

Can this be done on any SA REM action, or do you have to buy the Rem 700 AAC rifle and take the 308 barrel off for the AAC 260 barrel.
If this can be done on any Rem SA, I will start looking for one, as I have wanted a 260, but did not want to go to the expense of a custom build.

Very interested to hear how this performs. Has the action of the LTR been trued or had any other non cosmetic work performed?

Got it out to the range Thursday evening but got a late start. Was fighting sunset and only had time to shoot a few proper groups before visibility got poor. It shot a touch over 3/4 MOA with the one load I had on hand. That was: virgin Rem brass, 140 amax, CCI BR2, 43.0 H4350, 2.810" OAL. According to one chrony that load ran 2670 fps. I had absolutely zero pressure signs there so I'm going to work it up a bit. Would love to get around 2800 FPS with the 140 amax, but not really sure if that's realistic with the 24" barrel and H4350. I will not switch to RL17 due to the temp sensitivity. The extra velocity just isn't worth it to me.

A couple things...

-I don't believe I was shooting at my best due to fighting daylight and being pissed about getting to the range late, it is what it is.

-I'd call that load a 3/4 MOA performer, which was my goal out of this barrel. If I can get it down to 1/2, well even the better.

-I am going to tweak the load to chase a little velocity. Who knows where the group size will go with some more load development.

-I don't consider this a range report by any means. I saw there were some replies so I just wanted to give a small update. More feedback / pictures here withing the next couple weeks.

-The barrel cleaned up more like a factory barrel than a premium. My Rock 338 tube is done in about 10 patches of wet / dry alternating. This one took about 40+ patches after 50 rounds. I don't know what that says if anything, just an observation.

-Was pleased with the Viper PST on it's first range trip. The shim zero stop was easy to set up, the scope seemed to track true to its reticle based on zeroing, the glass was really pretty good, and I got to try the illum out during the twilight (it's very nice). Had it next to scottishtornado's NXS and you could definitely tell a difference during fading light. However we both agreed for the money it is a hell of a bargain and didn't give up a whole lot to the NXS. After looking through it he said he'll probably order one for his 308...

At this point I'm happy with it and am excited to see what kind of performance will come with some load development. More to follow!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cegorach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very interested to hear how this performs. Has the action of the LTR been trued or had any other non cosmetic work performed? </div></div>

No work on the action, straight factory.

It has been pillar / devcon bedded in the McM HTG by wnroscoe. He also tuned the 40X trigger beautifully. That's the only work I can think of that would have any effect on accuracy.

EDIT - Just for clarification sake, roscoe did NOT install the AAC barrel. I had a local guy screw it on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got it out to the range Thursday evening but got a late start. Was fighting sunset and only had time to shoot a few proper groups before visibility got poor. It shot a touch over 3/4 MOA with the one load I had on hand. That was: virgin Rem brass, 140 amax, CCI BR2, 43.0 H4350, 2.810" OAL. According to one chrony that load ran 2670 fps. I had absolutely zero pressure signs there so I'm going to work it up a bit. Would love to get around 2800 FPS with the 140 amax, but not really sure if that's realistic with the 24" barrel and H4350. I will not switch to RL17 due to the temp sensitivity. The extra velocity just isn't worth it to me.

A couple things...

-I don't believe I was shooting at my best due to fighting daylight and being pissed about getting to the range late, it is what it is.

-I'd call that load a 3/4 MOA performer, which was my goal out of this barrel. If I can get it down to 1/2, well even the better.

-I am going to tweak the load to chase a little velocity. Who knows where the group size will go with some more load development.

-I don't consider this a range report by any means. I saw there were some replies so I just wanted to give a small update. More feedback / pictures here withing the next couple weeks.

-The barrel cleaned up more like a factory barrel than a premium. My Rock 338 tube is done in about 10 patches of wet / dry alternating. This one took about 40+ patches after 50 rounds. I don't know what that says if anything, just an observation.

-Was pleased with the Viper PST on it's first range trip. The shim zero stop was easy to set up, the scope seemed to track true to its reticle based on zeroing, the glass was really pretty good, and I got to try the illum out during the twilight (it's very nice). Had it next to scottishtornado's NXS and you could definitely tell a difference during fading light. However we both agreed for the money it is a hell of a bargain and didn't give up a whole lot to the NXS. After looking through it he said he'll probably order one for his 308...

At this point I'm happy with it and am excited to see what kind of performance will come with some load development. More to follow! </div></div>

One would think that any aftermarket barrel worth its salt, would shoot in excess of .5moa after it is bolted on a trued action with a bedded stock. Is this gun just straight factory or has it been trued?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mmtuning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
One would think that any aftermarket barrel worth its salt, would shoot in excess of .5moa after it is bolted on a trued action with a bedded stock. Is this gun just straight factory or has it been trued? </div></div>

From my post, directly above yours:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
No work on the action, straight factory.
</div></div>

Reading Is Fundamental

Got back out to the range this evening with the 260. Wasn't rushed this time and was feeling much better about my shooting in general. Upped the load I was running to 43.5 gr of H4350 (Rem 1X fired brass, 140 amax, CCI BR2). Loaded 25 @ 2.810" and 25 @ 2.800". Still no pressure signs at all. Didn't have a chrony on hand today to see how fast they were running. I'm guessing low 2700s, 2725 range maybe. Hard to say but it seemed like maybe the 2.800" shot a touch better.

Here are four 5 round groups of the 2.800" at <span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">200</span></span></span> yards, about a 5 mile / hour somewhat gusty wind from 3 o'clock:

2011-04-09_20-52-53_206.jpg

(groups witnessed by scottishtornado)

By my math that's an average of 1.2125" 5 round group @ 200. Or, about .58 MOA. Yep, that'll work. I don't really intend to chase anymore loads... at least not for a while. That's good enough shooting for what I want it to do. Now it's time to actually shoot with it!

Needless to say I'm happy with the barrel at this point. I could probably chase loads some more and maybe get it to shoot even better, but I'm happy with it where it's at. Which isn't bad considering this is only the second load I've tried and all I changed was .5 grain of powder and .10" seating depth. For now, the AAC 260 barrel gets a thumbs up from me. I'll post up again if it goes to shit or gets even better.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks great! are you going to load subsonics for it too? </div></div>

No. While I have a 30 cal can (SAS stainless), it is a direct mount model for their brakes / flash hiders. I screwed the 30 cal SAS brake onto the end of the AAC barrel just to see what it looked like... it wasn't appealing. The heavy taper of the barrel made the larger diameter brake look like a big, cumbersome, silly, THING on the end. I've really decided I don't have much use for centerfire cans as everyone I shoot with doesn't own them. Thus, I always end up having to shoot with ears anyway. Will probably sell my 30 cal can down the road and buy a 22 can just for something cool to play with.

I do wish the barrel didn't have quite so heavy of a taper. They made the last three inches straight .750" to allow people to use over the barrel cans. While practical I suppose in that sense, it does look a little odd. I would have preferred a straight taper all the way to the end, having a muzzle diameter of around .80" or .85". But, for the price and convenience of it I'm happy.

Stretched its legs a little yesterday...

AAC 260 barrel (on a stock 700 action), Viper PST 4-16, Shooter ballistics = first round hits at 970 and 1437 yards. Went 2 for 3 on 1437 before the winds got nasty. Was consistently hitting the 970 target all day. The 970 yard target was roughly 14" X 24", and the 1437 is a full size IPSC steel. This spot is particularly challenging due to shooting across the draws and resulting F'ed winds...

260 Rem - 970 & 1437 Yards

Shooting 140 Amax @ 2750. Rem brass, CCI BR2, 43.5 gr of H4350, COAL @ 2.800".

grin.gif

<span style="font-style: italic">Safety Nazis: please, save the inevitable whining commentary about "shooting over the road" in the video. The targets are down dead end skid roads with long open patches to either side, and cars blocking access. Proper precautions were taken. Shut up and shoot...</span>

Bumping this cause I'm curious if anyone knows when these will be available again. Been checking the AAC website and Midway for about a few months now with no luck...

My build is nearly identical to yours.
Remington SA
AAC 260 rem barrel
Vortex PST 6x24x50

I will admit you ruined the suspense for me... But this is great news to see how well the barrel shoots. I have not been able to shoot mine yet because I am still waiting on my AICS stock.

While I wait I need to find a place to stretch out to 500+ yards.

Great shooting, best of luck and thanks for the range reports.