• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors AAC 51T Flash Hider problems

gkmiami

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2010
I have a situation with a customer's rifle that sports an AAC 51T flash hider. It's a 6mm Creedmoor and shoots well. With my own can screwed directly on the bbl it shot a solid 3/8"group. When I replaced my can with the AAC flash hider the group opened up to over 1-1/2". The bore of the flash hider had been opened to .264" and appears to be concentric. I am not testing the customers AAC can.

My first question to Hide members who have experience with AAC on a precision rifle would be; is this normal performance for this flash hider?

Yes the 51tooth is crap and will wobble like crazy unless you sand the shoulder down to time it to catch a tooth when actually tight or buy an bunch to find one that tightens up properly. Its a battle can, not a precision can. Lots of threads on it sucking for the most part.

Yes the 51tooth is crap and will wobble like crazy unless you sand the shoulder down to time it to catch a tooth when actually tight or buy an bunch to find one that tightens up properly. Its a battle can, not a precision can. Lots of threads on it sucking for the most part.
I have not shot it with the AAC can. The performance I'm describing here is with the flash hider only. Could, it being a battle set up, still give this poor accuracy?

Reactions: spife7980
Ah, I do see the distinction you made, I just assumed it was with the can on it too, nvm sorry.
No problem, it's a reasonable assumption. I personally wouldn't have a set up like this on my precision rifle for the very reason you stated.
Just trying to get a little info to make a recommendation to him.

I have a situation with a customer's rifle that sports an AAC 51T flash hider. It's a 6mm Creedmoor and shoots well. With my own can screwed directly on the bbl it shot a solid 3/8"group. When I replaced my can with the AAC flash hider the group opened up to over 1-1/2". The bore of the flash hider had been opened to .264" and appears to be concentric. I am not testing the customers AAC can.

My first question to Hide members who have experience with AAC on a precision rifle would be; is this normal performance for this flash hider?

One of My Remington 700s wears an AAC 51T flashover/muzzle brake (it has one brake chamber and a set of shorter 3 prongs for the flash hider portion). I have never experienced any change in precision (group size) with it on, off or with another brake in its place. It typically will group 1/2 MOA or less to 300 (I don’t measure groups beyond that distance)

I confess, have absolutely no idea why your customer’s rifle would shoot differently (worse) with the AAC muzzle device vs any other unless the AAC muzzle device’s bore was way out of concentricity (maybe); you mentioned it doesn’t appear to be non-concentric but did you measure and verify?

Also, the brake doesn’t show any bullet strikes?

Interesting case....

Last edited:
One of My Remington 700s wears an AAC 51T flashover/muzzle brake (it has one brake chamber and a set of shorter 3 prongs for the flash hider portion). I have never experienced any change in precision (group size) with it on, off or with another brake in its place. It typically will group 1/2 MOA or less to 300 (I don’t measure groups beyond that distance)

I confess, have absolutely no idea why your customer’s rifle would shoot differently (worse) with the AAC muzzle device vs any other unless the bore was way out of concentricity; you mentioned it doesn’t appear to be non-concentric but did you measure and verify?

Also, the brake doesn’t show any bullet strikes?

Interesting case....
Thanks much for your observations.

The best way I have of measuring the concentricity is to insert my best fitting precision ground cylinder into the muzzle and visually observe the clearance. It looked fine and I could see no indication of any strikes.

So now for the rest of the story. Since I have good testimony for the muzzle device I can reveal that this 51T had been modified by the customer by removing the prongs. ??? Sorry for withholding information but I was hoping for an unbiased opinion on it first and thank you for that. I don't really understand all the dynamics of the escaping gases behind the bullet but ignorantly chopping the device in half was a little bit rash.
I'm thinking this guy just didn't like the looks of the prongs on his pretty hunting rifle. And obviously AAC will not be warranting it.

That could be the problem. The prongs make a distinctive ringing sound whenever the rifle is fired; removing them breaks the harmonic resonance and eliminates the sound, which many find annoying....He prob didn’t do any fine measurements before making the cuts so changed the harmonics an an undesirable way...That change in sonic harmonics may also impact the way the barrel itself vibrates creating inconsistent barrel harmonics when a bullet passes through. This alone would explain the inability to hold expected level of precision.

Mine also makes the ringing sound but I don’t care.

tell him to buy another 51T Mount - they are relatively cheap...just hope its teeth are timed right to properly and completely lock up the suppressor, assuming he has one.

Last edited:
That could be the problem. The prongs make a distinctive ringing sound whenever the rifle is fired; removing them breaks the harmonic resonance and eliminates the sound, which many find annoying. Since he prob used some crude cutting tool to make the cuts; it’s likely a hack job instead of a precision-machined modification to the mount...That change in sonic harmonics may also impact the way the barrel itself vibrates creating inconsistent barrel harmonics when a bullet passes through. This alone would explain the inability to hold expected level of precision.

Mine also makes the ringing sound but I don’t care.
That's it. I recall the complaint of the ringing. Having never shot one myself I passed it off as nothing.

Harmonics or adverse gas interference it sure changed things for the worse. Piss poor reason to butcher a $100 part.

Reactions: nn8734
That's it. I recall the complaint of the ringing. Having never shot one myself I passed it off as nothing.

Harmonics or adverse gas interference it sure changed things for the worse. Piss poor reason to butcher a $100 part.

edit: tell him to buy the muzzle break instead of the flash hider. The brake’s chambers will help mitigate recoil as well as wear/tear on the can itself as they serve as a “prebaffle” to bleed off some of the pressure. Not to mention, it won’t sing anymore when fired, lol.

Absolutely agree...Some of the shit people do to their stuff (guns, cars, houses) is mind numbing.

Reactions: Alarka
Would it make any difference flash hider vs muzzle break(double), or the combo, flash/muzzle break (single)?

Would it make any difference flash hider vs muzzle break(double), or the combo, flash/muzzle break (single)?

Difference in what way? If you are referring to the ringing sound made when the weapon is fired, I have only observed it with pure flash hiders (AAC and Surefire Socom three prong for me personally)

NN8734, AAC has three versions, the flash hider (does have the ping sound), the muzzle break/flash hider or the double chamber. I would concur with buying one other than the flash hider. I have actually had pretty good consistency with both mounts.

NN8734, AAC has three versions, the flash hider (does have the ping sound), the muzzle break/flash hider or the double chamber. I would concur with buying one other than the flash hider. I have actually had pretty good consistency with both mounts.

Lol, I know - I have examples of all three. Of the 5 I own, only one (the hybrid flash hider/brake) actually has teeth that are timed correctly so the can locks up tight.

Edit: I will say AAC makes great cans but the 51T mount system leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited:
I purchased the 7.62 can before the SD version, at that time the 51 tooth was an "upgrade" from an older version with 18 tooth I believe.

I use this 762sd on my 308. The gun shoots one hole groups no matter which aac51t adapter is on. So i can not get on this can and set up are innaccurate.

there was a hige point of impact, from using the can to shooting with out tho