• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors AAC 762 SD Poa/Poi Issues...Help

Inzaneriderz

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2011
Mechanicsburg, PA United States
Hey everyone, so I took my first precision bolt gun to the range today for the first time today and started off the day shooting unsuppressed to get some range time with my new gun but also get my Nightforce zeroed... after shooting some 50 rounds unsuppressed, the gun is dialed in and is a freaking laser so I decided to throw on my AAC 762 SD on my 51T ratchet flash hider and go to town....Shooting suppressed is obviously way nicer with less recoil and sound signature HOWEVER... it seems like any time I switch to my can I am getting the first two-ish shots to be way higher than my POA, like 2-2.5 inches higher. After that the groups do seem to tighten up and then the poa /poi gets more consistent, However shooting with the suppressor is way less accurate than without... can anyone tell me why this is? For what it is worth I am shooting Federal Gold Match 175Gr. BTHP out of a 1/10 twist Kreiger Barrel #8 profile, Thanks

Re: AAC 762 SD Poa/Poi Issues...Help

The QD aac cans are not know for accuracy. You might have a loose mount, some of the other guys can help you with that.

If your quest calls for accuracy, might want to start shopping for another brand.

I shot my AAC 762 SDN today for the first time too. I had read the stories of people with cans that didn't lock up tight having some accuracy issues. I must be one of the lucky ones as mine locked up tight. After shooting a few rounds un suppressed I mounted it on and ran some rounds through it. After getting re-zeroed with the initial POI shift it shot as well as or better than the rifle did without the can.

I did find that shooting suppressed changed the feel of the shot. I know it reduces recoil but the major reduction in felt muzzle blast made it feel like it was kicking harder. After a few shots I found that it wasn't so much increased recoil as it was the elimination of the muzzel blast that only really left the recoil.

Now that I have gotten used to the different feel it is actally shooting tighter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RFtinkerer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should be able to solve accuracy issues by reading this thread. At least I hope.

http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2669308&page=2 </div></div>

RF thank you so much! After reading this post I did find that two of my 51T mounts do have a significant wobble if I tighten the suppressor until it stops then without hitting the unlock tab try to rotate it off... there is a definite "slip" backwards until it catches the previous tooth on the mount I am going to try polishing the surface the post talks about to get the suppressor to catch the next tooth on the mount... my thoughts are that I thought the suppressor was tight on the mount, but it actually wasn't, and upon firing a few shots it loosens to that previous tooth giving me an essentially loose fitting suppressor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inzaneriderz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RFtinkerer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should be able to solve accuracy issues by reading this thread. At least I hope.

http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2669308&page=2 </div></div>

RF thank you so much! After reading this post I did find that two of my 51T mounts do have a significant wobble if I tighten the suppressor until it stops then without hitting the unlock tab try to rotate it off... there is a definite "slip" backwards until it catches the previous tooth on the mount I am going to try polishing the surface the post talks about to get the suppressor to catch the next tooth on the mount... my thoughts are that I thought the suppressor was tight on the mount, but it actually wasn't, and upon firing a few shots it loosens to that previous tooth giving me an essentially loose fitting suppressor </div></div>

Well, let's just hope it works. I have one of these waiting for the ATF (hopefully November) and I've got my fingers crossed hoping for either a tight fit or that I can fix it with this...if you have any reports post-grind, let us know. It'd sure be nice to get another report of returned accuracy.

For anyone interested... I did the modification to the flash hider in the link above using a dremel tool, with the flash hiders both installed on their prospective rifles while using the dremel. I used a green cone shaped grinding stone on low speed (around 15K rpms) and lightly applied pressure until I began to take little material off the Flash hider. I just kept installing/removing the suppressor then removing material slowly until I did get the suppressor to click on to the next ratchet tooth on the hider... the 762SD is WAY tighter on the mount now and I can't wait to get to the range to see if my accuracy/consistency has improved...

I had a machinist spin the Brakeout and remove a bit of material from the seating face until the N-6 locked up with no wobble. No more vertical stringing!

This group is from my SDN-6 suppressed GA Precision 300 Win Mag, 190 Gr SMK's, at 600 Meters. Full size USPSA steel. I am by no means a long range shooter. Only about 100 rounds of long range shooting so far. I'd say the seat lapping solved the problem!

file-2.jpg

I made it to the range today to test my modifications to the 51 tooth flash hider. The suppressor mounts to both weapon platforms very tightly now with no movement. I am now shooting a consistent grouping with the suppressor, much better than without the modification. However those groupings are impacting about 2"-2.5" high and 1" left of my POA all of this being shot at 100 yards. I dunno if I am going to be able to get the suppressor to perfrom much better than that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inzaneriderz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I made it to the range today to test my modifications to the 51 tooth flash hider. The suppressor mounts to both weapon platforms very tightly now with no movement. I am now shooting a consistent grouping with the suppressor, much better than without the modification. However those groupings are impacting about 2"-2.5" high and 1" left of my POA all of this being shot at 100 yards. I dunno if I am going to be able to get the suppressor to perfrom much better than that? </div></div>

As long as it's repeatable and you can get decent grouping is all that really matters. Every can will cause a POI shift some more than others. Changes the barrel harmonics, being repeatable is the important factor.

Yep, shift is normal. I just rezero with the suppressor on and make a note of the shift WITHOUT the can.

Post like these amaze me that people still buy these.... With several other cans on the market that hands down offer a better product, people STILL are lab rats for AAC.

Hope you get your issues lined out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Post like these amaze me that people still buy these.... With several other cans on the market that hands down offer a better product, people STILL are lab rats for AAC.

Hope you get your issues lined out. </div></div>

I am kinda bummed by the performance of the suppressor and the fault is mine. I had been asking my CLEO to sign my form 4 paperwork for 2 years and finally he agreed to sign it, so before I gave him a chance to change his mind I went to my local shop and all they had was YHM and AAC.... being new to the suppressor scene I didn't get to do the amount of research I should have... I talked to AAC today and they say a 4 MOA shift is acceptable... maybe to them, but when I am shooting 3/8" MOA 5 shot groups unsuppressed, I may expect that group to open up a little bit but IMHO 4" shift and "acceptable" shouldn't be in the same sentence.... guess I will just have to make sure when shooting suppressed to change my zero from the get go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inzaneriderz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Post like these amaze me that people still buy these.... With several other cans on the market that hands down offer a better product, people STILL are lab rats for AAC.

I am kinda bummed by the performance of the suppressor and the fault is mine. I had been asking my CLEO to sign my form 4 paperwork for 2 years and finally he agreed to sign it, so before I gave him a chance to change his mind I went to my local shop and all they had was YHM and AAC.... being new to the suppressor scene I didn't get to do the amount of research I should have... I talked to AAC today and they say a 4 MOA shift is acceptable... maybe to them, but when I am shooting 3/8" MOA 5 shot groups unsuppressed, I may expect that group to open up a little bit but IMHO 4" shift and "acceptable" shouldn't be in the same sentence.... guess I will just have to make sure when shooting suppressed to change my zero from the get go. </div></div>

So are you getting a consistent 4" shift and the can still groups fine? If the can groups and the shift is repeatable who cares if its 4" or 4'? I have dope for for both suppressed and unsuppressed for my rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: springer01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inzaneriderz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Post like these amaze me that people still buy these.... With several other cans on the market that hands down offer a better product, people STILL are lab rats for AAC.

I am kinda bummed by the performance of the suppressor and the fault is mine. I had been asking my CLEO to sign my form 4 paperwork for 2 years and finally he agreed to sign it, so before I gave him a chance to change his mind I went to my local shop and all they had was YHM and AAC.... being new to the suppressor scene I didn't get to do the amount of research I should have... I talked to AAC today and they say a 4 MOA shift is acceptable... maybe to them, but when I am shooting 3/8" MOA 5 shot groups unsuppressed, I may expect that group to open up a little bit but IMHO 4" shift and "acceptable" shouldn't be in the same sentence.... guess I will just have to make sure when shooting suppressed to change my zero from the get go. </div></div>

So are you getting a consistent 4" shift and the can still groups fine? If the can groups and the shift is repeatable who cares if its 4" or 4'? I have dope for for both suppressed and unsuppressed for my rifles.</div></div>

This. If you don't know the correction factor, what difference does it make if it's 1/2" off or 4" off? If you DO know the correction factor, then there's no reason to complain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inzaneriderz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I made it to the range today to test my modifications to the 51 tooth flash hider. The suppressor mounts to both weapon platforms very tightly now with no movement. I am now shooting a consistent grouping with the suppressor, much better than without the modification. However those groupings are impacting about 2"-2.5" high and 1" left of my POA all of this being shot at 100 yards. I dunno if I am going to be able to get the suppressor to perfrom much better than that? </div></div>

Good to hear the report it's doing much better. As some others said, if it's a consistent shift it doesn't matter that much. At least not to me. Once I get the suppressor, I highly doubt I'll shoot without it. Assuming accuracy is still good!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Post like these amaze me that people still buy these.... With several other cans on the market that hands down offer a better product, people STILL are lab rats for AAC.

Best suppressor I could find in KC at the time. I should have waited for a TBAC or something, admittedly, but I was in the hurry up and wait mode.