• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AAC 762-SDN-6 Pin & Weld

Old Bear

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2014
Tennessee
I already built the 300 Blackout with a 16" barrel and have the suppressor mounted. I have decided that shortening this rig up is the smart thing to do. My original plan was to do a pin & weld it onto a 11.5" barrel with my TIG welder, and I asked Advanced Armament if I should do two pin & welds (adapter & suppressor individually) or one and lock down both pieces with one pin. They came back with "neither," as they "have seen where silencers become off center and misalignment happens causing damage to the silencer as a whole" and is now unrepairable.
As we have well-versed professionals on here, I thought I should ask for additional thoughts on the matter. Getting another tax stamp isn't going to kill me, but I like to feel confident in my final decision!

If you dont have an issue getting a stamp I would SBR the lower, sell the 16" barrel and get a new barrel in the length you want.

I agree with @Bacarrat that P&W suppressors make cleaning a PIA. If your stuck on it, I would do one of two options to make it a direct thread:

1) send the SDN6 in to ECCO Machine and have him free you of the 51T and then you can add a myriad of direct thread mounts. I would weld the mount to the threads on the barrel and weld the mount to the can.

2) Send your SDN6 back to AAC (new company) and they will cut out your serial number and weld it into the core of a new Ranger 7. You effectively get a new lower back pressure can on the same tax stamp. You go from 21oz to 17oz and 8" to 6.75" and it frees that can to go direct thread or use any other mounts like PLan B or Nox. But at this point you have a new can that you may no longer want to weld on.

If you dont have an issue getting a stamp I would SBR the lower, sell the 16" barrel and get a new barrel in the length you want.

I agree with @Bacarrat that P&W suppressors make cleaning a PIA. If your stuck on it, I would do one of two options to make it a direct thread:

1) send the SDN6 in to ECCO Machine and have him free you of the 51T and then you can add a myriad of direct thread mounts. I would weld the mount to the threads on the barrel and weld the mount to the can.

2) Send your SDN6 back to AAC (new company) and they will cut out your serial number and weld it into the core of a new Ranger 7. You effectively get a new lower back pressure can on the same tax stamp. You go from 21oz to 17oz and 8" to 6.75" and it frees that can to go direct thread or use any other mounts like PLan B or Nox. But at this point you have a new can that you may no longer want to weld on.
Nope, not stuck on it at all. I was on the fence about which to do to begin with. I was not aware of the "upgrade" option on the can. And for the rest of this month AAC will cover the cost of a new Ranger anyway. Too bad I can't swing that! I guess first things first, I'll get the SBR stamp, which will leave me with more options.

Thanks for sharing, this old goat learns something every day - with a little help!

They're actually putting pieces of old SDN-6 cans with the SN on a new tube/core? If I wasn't married to a half dozen pinned and welded 51T mounts on uppers I'd look into that, but I thought some different manufacturers have gotten in hot water over the years doing exactly that.

Have you had this done yourself? Might look into it as the SDN-6 is a very high back pressure can....

@the monk

They're actually putting pieces of old SDN-6 cans with the SN on a new tube/core? If I wasn't married to a half dozen pinned and welded 51T mounts on uppers I'd look into that, but I thought some different manufacturers have gotten in hot water over the years doing exactly that.

Have you had this done yourself? Might look into it as the SDN-6 is a very high back pressure can....

@the monk
Yes. I originally sent in my AAC cans to ECCO to have them freed of 51t. But I never used my SDN6 because it was so heavy. For the price of a new can they will use your existing serial number:

No issue with the ATF as its just like if you had catastrophic damage, they salvage the SN and rebuild the can. Since they no longer make that can they are just upgrading you to the new product line.

I am a pre 41F rule guy so this was music to my ears. The Ranger 7 is a good can. I would probably put it in the same category as a SiCo Omega now with a little less backpressure. Still heavy but and by no means a Huxworks or the new Knights or Sig cans but I'm fine with that.

I am hoping they come out with a new K can like the mini 4 and and I will send those in as well.

Yes. I originally sent in my AAC cans to ECCO to have them freed of 51t. But I never used my SDN6 because it was so heavy. For the price of a new can they will use your existing serial number:

No issue with the ATF as its just like if you had catastrophic damage, they salvage the SN and rebuild the can. Since they no longer make that can they are just upgrading you to the new product line.

I am a pre 41F rule guy so this was music to my ears. The Ranger 7 is a good can. I would probably put it in the same category as a SiCo Omega now with a little less backpressure. Still heavy but and by no means a Huxworks or the new Knights or Sig cans but I'm fine with that.

I am hoping they come out with a new K can like the mini 4 and and I will send those in as well.

Thanks for the info. I picked up a SiCo Saker 556K to get a shorter/lighter 5.56 can to use on my 10.3" Colt 6945, but I wasn't a fan of SiCo's 51T Charlie adapter.

I may end up biting the bullet and having the 11 51T mounts I have on AR barrels removed, but I'd be looking at over $1,200 just in new mounts before smith costs to remove those that are pinned and welded on. And then the question becomes, which new QD mount system do I switch them all over to, haha?

Kinda wish I'd picked up a couple more SDN-6s when they were getting blown out at a few places. I'd at least have been fully married to them at that point, haha.

FYI AAC is making a new 51t adapter for threaded cans like Saker and Omega - https://advanced-armament.com/shop/accessories/adapters/51t-s-t-a-m-p-mount/

You can find it much leass from dealers.
Thanks. I came across that when I found the SiCo 51T Charlie mount for the Saker wasn't as secure as the OEM version in the SDN-6. I picked up a Bravo to Charlie adapter from ECCO and the Bravo (1.375-24) threaded STAMP from Black Ankle Munitions, but it then made the Saker 556K as long as the SDN-6, haha.

I'm not against QD, far from it, in fact, but I didn't like the idea of introducing so many threaded and QD adapters (51T mount -> STAMP -> B to C adapter -> Saker) on what I was hoping would be a much lighter and shorter suppressor for my SBR.

In the end I picked up a 1/2x28" direct thread adapter for the Saker 556K and use it on my SBR'd PS90. I'll probably pick up another short 5.56 can in the future and ensure it has the Bravo (1.375-24) threads so I can have the STAMP threaded directly on it.

Thanks again for flagging. I just didn't pick correctly and had the Charlie (1.375-32) threaded Saker 556K waiting on a tax stamp while the industry settled on the Bravo (1.375-24) thread pitch for most 5.56 and .308 cans. First world problems...

dang! I already had both my SD cans converted by ecco machine…. Awesome work btw… but this is a fantastic, outside the box thinking option! Gives me hope for the new company.

Gonna reach out to them to see if they’ll re-core my TiRant .45. That one was actually at AAC (the old company) to be recored when Remington went tits up. I was just happy to get it back…even with the worn out innards.

dang! I already had both my SD cans converted by ecco machine…. Awesome work btw… but this is a fantastic, outside the box thinking option! Gives me hope for the new company.

Gonna reach out to them to see if they’ll re-core my TiRant .45. That one was actually at AAC (the old company) to be recored when Remington went tits up. I was just happy to get it back…even with the worn out innards.

I had my SDN-6 converted by ECCO machine and I just sent it off to AAC to get the Retro conversion to Ranger 7. It was way too long and super heavy.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
I had my SDN-6 converted by ECCO machine and I just sent it off to AAC to get the Retro conversion to Ranger 7. It was way too long and super heavy.
That’s a good point…. I have an SD, as well as an SDN-6. The -6 is actually a very workable length for me, but the regular SD can is a bit unwieldy. Here they are right after I got ‘em back from the hub mount conversion at ecco machine; -6 is the black one, regular SD can is burnt bronze.

i-4qNNd73.jpg

My Dead Ar Wolfman in raw titanium for comparison.

Reactions: Docsherm
Just sent in the contact form asking about sending in my SD, as well as asking about recoring my TiRant. Thanks again @the monk for posting that link for AAC resto-mods! Very, very cool option.

Just sent in the contact form asking about sending in my SD, as well as asking about recoring my TiRant. Thanks again @the monk for posting that link for AAC resto-mods! Very, very cool option.
If you wouldn't mind letting us know what they tell you as far as price and turnaround time I'd appreciate it. Might go this route to get a can with less blowback that I can still use all my 51T mounts with.

If you wouldn't mind letting us know what they tell you as far as price and turnaround time I'd appreciate it. Might go this route to get a can with less blowback that I can still use all my 51T mounts with.

Finally heard back from AAC and sending off one of my SD’s for the resto-mod conversion, as well as my OG TiRant 45 to be recored. $1100 for both, and 3-5 weeks turnaround time.

Very pumped for this!

I really, really, really like the hub conversion ecco machine did on my SD can, but getting all new baffles, a removable/replaceable end-cap, and about 4 oz weight loss with no sound performance loss…without the year+ wait for another tax stamp...is too good of a deal to pass up.

IMG_4941.jpeg

IMG_4940.jpeg

Reactions: towerofpower93
UPDATE:
AAC received my SDN-6 on 06/21/23. I got the call today and they finished it. I already have the UOPS tracking number and it ships today also.

@91Eunozs 🤯
LoL I was literally logging in to make a similar post!

Sent a little over a week ago, they received them last Thursday and already complete! Ours must have been done in the same batch; mine were probably among the last ones in this round.

IMG_2344.jpeg

Both of mine will be home by Thursday… so 1 week actual door-to-door turn around. I know it’s probably not the usual experience, but that’s a hell of a lot better than the 3-5 weeks they put out there for getting the resto-mod completed.

Under promise, over deliver … looks like the new AAC is off to a good start!

Nope, not stuck on it at all. I was on the fence about which to do to begin with. I was not aware of the "upgrade" option on the can. And for the rest of this month AAC will cover the cost of a new Ranger anyway. Too bad I can't swing that! I guess first things first, I'll get the SBR stamp, which will leave me with more options.

Thanks for sharing, this old goat learns something every day - with a little help!
Yeah, SBR is great ACCEPT... you then have to ask nanny gubment if you want to go across state lines with it. That's what keeps me from doing any SBR

Yeah, SBR is great ACCEPT... you then have to ask nanny gubment if you want to go across state lines with it. That's what keeps me from doing any SBR
Crossing state lines is a bigger deal to some than others. If you travel out of state frequently with your firearms, this might be an issue. (I think I’d just have a dedicated 16 inch “travel carbine” it that were my case.) But, I’d wager that most firearms stay within a few counties radius of where they are stored; and relatively few regularly cross state lines. And, in those areas where frequent state line crossing is most likely (Mid-Atlantic and NE?), prospective SBR owners have bigger fish to fry than the potential to cross state lines with their firearms.

And, “except…”

I got my AAC "SDN-6" back yesterday. That new Ranger 7 is great.
Dammit, I emailed them asking about this yesterday and they immediately got back to me. Might be sending them the info for an RMA after I hit post on this reply, haha.

ETA: I'm in. You all are a bad influence :)

• Haha
It’s baaaaaaaaack!

IMG_5050.jpeg

very happy with the work, and looks good with the upper it’ll be paired with most often.

IMG_5053.jpeg

IMG_5054.jpeg

I’ll be using Keymo adapter mounts 99.9% of the time, but the resto-mod included a nice direct thread mount with a built-in brake:

IMG_5052.jpeg

And getting my OG TiRant .45 re-cored is a nice relief too. The new baffles are very similar to the old design, but the locating tabs/slots are inside the cup vs. a cut out and tab arrangement. Same end cap design (at least it looks the same to me), just got a new one included with the recore.

IMG_5051.jpeg

What did they charge you for the recore?
$400

Not cheap, but it now has a new warranty with the ’new’ company, so future recores or repairs will be covered. And frankly, the old baffles (the aluminum ones anyway) were so corroded, I didn’t want to shoot this one at the range anymore anyway, so it’s like I got a another can to use for all my handguns.

Reactions: the monk
Finally heard back from AAC and sending off one of my SD’s for the resto-mod conversion, as well as my OG TiRant 45 to be recored. $1100 for both, and 3-5 weeks turnaround time.

Very pumped for this!

I really, really, really like the hub conversion ecco machine did on my SD can, but getting all new baffles, a removable/replaceable end-cap, and about 4 oz weight loss with no sound performance loss…without the year+ wait for another tax stamp...is too good of a deal to pass up.

View attachment 8173410

View attachment 8173406

So the ranger 7 is shorter, lighter and as quiet as my SDN-6? I had the ECCO treatment done to it a few years ago and it lives on a 300 blackout sbr but I wouldn’t mind a much improved version.

Definitely shorter and lighter with far less back pressure. I don't think I would say its as quiet but it has a similar tone.

Reactions: Jnull
It’s baaaaaaaaack!

View attachment 8182743

very happy with the work, and looks good with the upper it’ll be paired with most often.

View attachment 8182744
View attachment 8182745

I’ll be using Keymo adapter mounts 99.9% of the time, but the resto-mod included a nice direct thread mount with a built-in brake:

View attachment 8182749

And getting my OG TiRant .45 re-cored is a nice relief too. The new baffles are very similar to the old design, but the locating tabs/slots are inside the cup vs. a cut out and tab arrangement. Same end cap design (at least it looks the same to me), just got a new one included with the recore.

View attachment 8182748
Very cool that they threw in a direct thread Bravo mount as part of the resto mod. I presume it's 5/8x24?

I'll be using the 51T STAMP as that's the mount I have on most ARs, but venturing out into other QD mounts will be nice in the future.

So the ranger 7 is shorter, lighter and as quiet as my SDN-6? I had the ECCO treatment done to it a few years ago and it lives on a 300 blackout sbr but I wouldn’t mind a much improved version.

That is exactly what I did. I had my SDN-6 converted to a KeyMo mount by ECCO and just sent it off to AAC to become a Ranger 7. It is back on my 300 BO now. So much lighter and shorter.

Reactions: Jnull
That is exactly what I did. I had my SDN-6 converted to a KeyMo mount by ECCO and just sent it off to AAC to become a Ranger 7. It is back on my 300 BO now. So much lighter and shorter.

How would you say sound compares between the two?

Very cool that they threw in a direct thread Bravo mount as part of the resto mod. I presume it's 5/8x24?

I'll be using the 51T STAMP as that's the mount I have on most ARs, but venturing out into other QD mounts will be nice in the future.
Yes, the one included with mine was 5/8-24, but they also make a 1/2-28 version…. I’m sure you could get either one included.

I’d have picked the 1/2-28 version myself if I’d have given it any thought; I wasn’t expecting any muzzle device so didn’t ask. I have more uppers chambered in .223/5.56mm than the rest, and while most already have Key-mo muzzle devices, there are a few with just thread protectors for direct-thread mounts.

Reactions: towerofpower93
Anyone have experience with the Ranger 7 they can comment on in terms of performance ? Doesn’t look like there are many reviews out there on the web or YouTube.
I’m debating on having my SDN6 converted as well… I know financially it may not make much sense but I have an SDN6 that I haven’t used much in years on a pre-41F trust, would be a little added convenience to change it to a more modern can.

Anyone have experience with the Ranger 7 they can comment on in terms of performance ? Doesn’t look like there are many reviews out there on the web or YouTube.
I’m debating on having my SDN6 converted as well… I know financially it may not make much sense but I have an SDN6 that I haven’t used much in years on a pre-41F trust, would be a little added convenience to change it to a more modern can.

I have my new "Ranger7" SDN-6 mounted on a 300BO. The SDN-6 was on that upper before also. It is much shorter, and the weight difference is noticeable. As for the sound suppression, I have not tested it with any devices. Per my ears it is head to head quieter than my friends 300BO with a SND-6 on it when using subs and supers. With 220gr subs, it is ridiculously quiet..... I would even say Hollywood quiet. Noticeable difference compared to the SDN-6.

After that side by side test he sent his in to AAC to get converted.

Haven’t had time to shoot through it yet…. Will try to do so this weekend and give a report.

No time to search right now, but I’d wager The Silencer Shop or someone has done a test with decibel reduction, etc.
Were you able to test it out?

Does anyone have any regrets with having the recore to Ranger 7 done? I'm on the fence, but am leaning towards sending it in next week.

Happy I did my SD; not sure I’ll also convert my SDN6 though. I found the hub mount threading was very, very tight… Couldn’t even get the Q plan B to go all the way in after I took it off my LT, so put on one of my Key-Mo mounts:

IMG_2448.jpeg

Worked great… zero POI shift between the new Ranger and the old SD-N6. Much more pleasant tone with the Ranger too.

IMG_2455.jpeg

Hard to describe the difference, but the Ranger mod sounded deeper; almost like a mortar going off. Same supersonic crack with the 6.8SPC-II I was shooting today, but nicer tone.

Reactions: LRRPF52
Happy I did my SD; not sure I’ll also convert my SDN6 though. I found the hub mount threading was very, very tight… Couldn’t even get the Q plan B to go all the way in after I took it off my LT, so put on one of my Key-Mo mounts:

View attachment 8192390

Worked great… zero POI shift between the new Ranger and the old SD-N6. Much more pleasant tone with the Ranger too.

View attachment 8192395

Hard to describe the difference, but the Ranger mod sounded deeper; almost like a mortar going off. Same supersonic crack with the 6.8SPC-II I was shooting today, but nicer tone.
I learned the hard way that a Q Plan B cannot be reinstalled on a Nomad…..regular or TI….after taking them off after heavy use. I have both the regular and the TI and took off the Plan Bs on both and when I went to reinstall they would not screw all the way in. On both. Thinking it was carbon lock, I forced it on my regular Nomad and it got stuck before it seated. Had to send it back to DA for removal. Anyways chunked the old Plan Bs and got one new one as the TI is run DT. Put it on the regular and it screwed tight down no issues. Not sure what the problem was on the removed ones but it affected both Plan Bs I originally had on these cans….maybe got warped with pressure🤷🏼‍♂️……anyways my point being for anyone reading this don’t make my dumb mistake of forcing on a Plan B, especially one that has been used and removed.

My plan is to put the 51T STAMP on and just leave it be since I've been using the SDN-6 as my go to semi auto can and all of my uppers/rifles are already wearing 51T brakes or flash hiders. I have other direct thread cans for bolt guns, so I'll get the new Ranger 7/SDN-6 setup for 51T and leave it on in hopes of not having to deal with different Bravo/universal hub mounts getting locked in the can or locked out and unable to mount them again.

Having said that, I'm sure I'll buy another upper eventually that comes with a different mount already in place and I'll end up with a Bravo mount for it. My SDN-6 got to AAC last Friday so I'm hoping to have it back by late-Aug or early-Sep :)

They are doing mini 4 retro mods now. I just sent in my mini 4 (a week and a half turnaround) and they modded it to 5 baffles vs 4, which is shorter, and weighs less. I will let you all know how it sounds but I am super psyched about this one. This is a can I use all the time and beat the hell out of.

6rKgnNgl.jpg

e41PrbHl.jpg

They are doing mini 4 retro mods now. I just sent in my mini 4 (a week and a half turnaround) and they modded it to 5 baffles vs 4, which is shorter, and weighs less. I will let you all know how it sounds but I am super psyched about this one. This is a can I use all the time and beat the hell out of.

6rKgnNgl.jpg

e41PrbHl.jpg

Well shit...... there goes more money...... I have 2 I need to convert LOLOLOL

What is the length without the mount?