• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors AAC - am I screwed?

at4rxj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I've had my eye on an AAC 762-SD for awhile. I went so far as to accumulate 4 muzzle devices with the 51T attachment in anticipation of getting it.

I finally am ready to pull the trigger on the suppressor. I call the dealer, and they don't have any. The 762-SD has been discontinued.
frown.gif

So there's the 762-SDN-6 which costs a couple hundred more, or the 90T models coming out who knows when this year.

Advice?

Should I sell off the flash hiders/brakes and go with something different? Does anyone know who has a 762-SD in stock?

Is the SDN-6 worth the extra cash?

Re: AAC - am I screwed?

The N6 will still work on your muzzle devices. I would save up the extra couple hundred and use it. I have one that I sometimes put on my 300 blackout and other times it goes on a 260. I still have my 762SD and its just as good as most other QD style cans. They are just upgrading all their locking mechanisms and need to let obsolete models go away. Doesnt make the 762SD a bad can....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or this guy
http://xtremegunsandammo.com/advanced-armament-corp-762-sd-silencer.html

I'd likely try Byron first.

http://www.major-malfunction.com/maj_malf_5u_013.htm </div></div>

His name is Bryon..... and I don't believe he is dealing in individual sales anymore. He told me at SHOT Show that he was going to become a stocking dealer to supply small stores and what not.

You just can't wait until they perfect the 365 tooth ratcheting QD mount?

Actually, I've got the 762-SDN-6 on a 51T mount and find it's solid. Compared to my M4-1000 with the 18T mount which sucks and I'd happily join a class-action lawsuit against them for defective product and not answering fracking emails or phone calls.

They actually sent me a suppressor (Evo-9) WITHOUT washers. I had to order the damned things before I could use it.

Yeah, you're screwed.

The 51T is not going anywhere as the military has chosen not to adopt the 90T mount. I have a 51T 762SD and I think the mounting system is fine.

Seeing the mount issues that plague aac cans, I'd go with a Gemtech or YHM for a conventional QD can.

I bought 2 of the 51T mounts after thinking my element was the hot sheet. After a while of researching I sold those mounts and decided aac was not going to be my choice for another can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seeing the mount issues that plague aac cans, I'd go with a Gemtech or YHM for a conventional QD can.

I bought 2 of the 51T mounts after thinking my element was the hot sheet. After a while of researching I sold those mounts and decided aac was not going to be my choice for another can. </div></div>

You could ignore user reviews and listen to this guy, or get an N6 - or chase down an SD. I like the shorter, more durable N6. Mine will clear in few weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seeing the mount issues that plague aac cans, I'd go with a Gemtech or YHM for a conventional QD can.

I bought 2 of the 51T mounts after thinking my element was the hot sheet. After a while of researching I sold those mounts and decided aac was not going to be my choice for another can. </div></div>

You could ignore user reviews and listen to this guy, or get an N6 - or chase down an SD. I like the shorter, more durable N6. Mine will clear in few weeks. </div></div>

Would this guy be one of the users you suggest?

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2665649#Post2665649

If you want to sell any mounts I'm interested!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seeing the mount issues that plague aac cans, I'd go with a Gemtech or YHM for a conventional QD can.

You could ignore user reviews and listen to this guy, or get an N6 - or chase down an SD. I like the shorter, more durable N6. Mine will clear in few weeks. </div></div>

Honestly, If I could do it over again I would go with Surefire for a fast attach can. I have used them both. My SD-N6 is quiet enough but the blow by that ends up on my scope objective really disappoints me to say the least. From my experience, the Surefire does not have this problem.

There may be other fast attach cans out there that do not have blow by issues but I have not had the opportunity to see them in use.

If I can't get the blow by to stop by "tuning" the brake to the suppressor the can will only get used on AR type rifles where the hand guard blocks the scope from the gas or on rifles with no scope at all.

If this is the case, I will buy the TBAC for my bolt gun.

My $.02.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BRDTX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to sell any mounts I'm interested! </div></div>

nevermind, read it wrong

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BRDTX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to sell any mounts I'm interested! </div></div>

That's a real good way to get yourself banned from the site </div></div>

Really, why? He posted he was thinking of selling them or getting different can. I posted if he decides to sell I am interested. That's a bannable offense?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BRDTX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BRDTX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to sell any mounts I'm interested! </div></div>

That's a real good way to get yourself banned from the site </div></div>

Really, why? He posted he was thinking of selling them or getting different can. I posted if he decides to sell I am interested. That's a bannable offense? </div></div>

Nevermind, I read that wrong. was on the cell phone at the time. need better glasses apparently

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seeing the mount issues that plague aac cans, I'd go with a Gemtech or YHM for a conventional QD can.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2665649#Post2665649 </div></div>

Yes, I suggest that you ignore the "wiggle issue." It's blown out of proportion, and easy to deal with if you DO care. It's like saying that, because a new truck is better than an old truck, then the old truck must be crap and no good AND the company should upgrade everyone for free - or at least apologize for not making the new better truck up front. It's goofy. Is the 51 tooth mount better than the 18? Yes. Is the 90 tooth better/tighter than the 51? Yes. Big deal. Hold out for an unknown amount of time for the "better" mount if you like, but the 51 tooth is a good system. The vast majority of N6 AND M4-2000 owners are off enjoying their suppressors, while a noisy few (and a BUNCH of folks who've never even held one) whine about a wiggle problem. I bought a random mount and tried it with my N6 at the shop - it's tight as a tick. If yours isn't, try a few mounts and select the one that mates best with your particular can. Surprisingly little drama.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seeing the mount issues that plague aac cans, I'd go with a Gemtech or YHM for a conventional QD can.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2665649#Post2665649 </div></div>

Yes, I suggest that you ignore the "wiggle issue." It's blown out of proportion, and easy to deal with if you DO care. It's like saying that, because a new truck is better than an old truck, then the old truck must be crap and no good AND the company should upgrade everyone for free - or at least apologize for not making the new better truck up front. It's goofy. Is the 51 tooth mount better than the 18? Yes. Is the 90 tooth better/tighter than the 51? Yes. Big deal. Hold out for an unknown amount of time for the "better" mount if you like, but the 51 tooth is a good system. The vast majority of N6 AND M4-2000 owners are off enjoying their suppressors, while a noisy few (and a BUNCH of folks who've never even held one) whine about a wiggle problem. I bought a random mount and tried it with my N6 at the shop - it's tight as a tick. If yours isn't, try a few mounts and select the one that mates best with your particular can. Surprisingly little drama. </div></div>

If you mean "blown out of proportion" as in blown all over the objective of my scope, I suppose you are correct in your statement.

If you mean "blown out of proportion" as in I'm part of the noisy bunch who has never owned one, you are incorrect in your statement.

I do own on and I am sadly disappointed.

The fact of the matter is, with muzzle devices costing $100+ and a suppressor costing $1k with no way to sell it due to the transfer costs, it makes sense for the ANY of their cans should fit ANY of their muzzle devices perfectly ISO 9000-2001 style. The end user should not have to sift through any number of attachments to find the one or two that will work with their can. PERIOD.

It is a good thing however that AAC is working to resolve the issue. Apparently they felt that it is was an issue worth addressing due to the fact that they are responding to the market with devices that have increased tooth count.

This being said, the noise you are referring to is free market economics at work. Without it we would all be shooing SKS's, or more realistically, throwing rocks. Bagging on folks for pointing out the flaws within a particular design stifles the innovation that produces the products and services you, me and everyone else enjoys.

Toodles.

Surprisingly little drama.

Old trucks get fewer miles to the gallon - companies "resolve" that by making more fuel efficient vehicles....but you aren't clamoring at the dealership for free upgrades or how disappointed your are in the MPG you are getting. Products improve.

I sold my old 762SD 18 tooth suppressor just fine right here on the hide. About the time my new can clears, the buyer's paperwork will clear, too. I'll get my new can, and he'll get his. I lost money on the sale, just like I lose money every time I sell a used car. The guy that buys my used car even has to pay taxes, more than the $200 tax stamp of a can, too. If you don't like your setup, sell it and upgrade to a newer truck...I mean, suppressor.

I've been shooting AAC cans for years now, and they work fine. My 18 tooth can worked fine on my bolt gun. My buddies 18 tooth 762SD works fine on his OBR. The N6 is shorter and stronger, so I upgraded. While I am waiting for my papers to clear, they drop the 90 tooth mount on me. Cool, wish mine was 90 tooth....but the 51 tooth will work just fine.

By the way, I challenge you to tune a muzzle device and your rifle's muzzle threads so that it hits the mating surface at top dead center. Then do that over and over on a mass-production scale. That's what you are asking for if you say that every latch should be positioned on every can so that it clicks into place JUST at the same time as EVERY mating surface hits.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
His name is Bryon..... and I don't believe he is dealing in individual sales anymore. He told me at SHOT Show that he was going to become a stocking dealer to supply small stores and what not. </div></div>
Correct - just tried to order a can from him and was told the same & referred to Silenced America, LLC.

I haven't used Silenced America yet, but will next time I buy. He's an asset to the community.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By the way, I challenge you to tune a muzzle device and your rifle's muzzle threads so that it hits the mating surface at top dead center. Then do that over and over on a mass-production scale. That's what you are asking for if you say that every latch should be positioned on every can so that it clicks into place JUST at the same time as EVERY mating surface hits.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Been done. Its called a Surefire...

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bass Ackwardz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By the way, I challenge you to tune a muzzle device and your rifle's muzzle threads so that it hits the mating surface at top dead center. Then do that over and over on a mass-production scale. That's what you are asking for if you say that every latch should be positioned on every can so that it clicks into place JUST at the same time as EVERY mating surface hits.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Bill </div></div>

That's incorrect. Surefire uses a different mounting system altogether. A good, but different system. An extremely expensive system, apparently, based on the prices.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bass Ackwardz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By the way, I challenge you to tune a muzzle device and your rifle's muzzle threads so that it hits the mating surface at top dead center. Then do that over and over on a mass-production scale. That's what you are asking for if you say that every latch should be positioned on every can so that it clicks into place JUST at the same time as EVERY mating surface hits.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Bill </div></div>

That's incorrect. Surefire uses a different mounting system altogether. A good, but different system. An extremely expensive system, apparently, based on the prices. </div></div>

People are going to pay for products built right. When you see as many mount issues with aac, that is a problem. I'm not saying thier products are crap(I own a element), I just don't and won't recommend any of their QD cans until they can get their shit together. 18T, 51T, 90T mounts? Not for me...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When you see as many mount issues with aac, that is a problem. I'm not saying thier products are crap(I own a element), I just don't and won't recommend any of their QD cans until they can get their shit together. 18T, 51T, 90T mounts? Not for me... </div></div>

I'm pretty sure that the ratio of satisfied to dissatisfied is heavily on the satisfied side.

The problem is that, for the most part, the only people who get online and post threads about it are the folks who feel like there is a problem. And then sheeple "buy a few mounts" do some reading online and decide that AAC mounts have problems. And then THEY get online and post about AAC mounts having problems, when they've never owned a 51 tooth can and don't know anything about it except what they've been spoonfed by a few posters. If their mounts were really that bad, there would be WAY more feedback about it and they wouldn't be one of the biggest companies in the industry. Seriously...recommending Gemtech and YHM over AAC?

Now, is there room for improvement? Yes. As with any good company, they aren't resting on their laurels - they are innovating and improving. Did the Acme thread allow some blowback from the mount area? Yes. It bothered the precision crowd with their nice glass - hence the more angled mating surface of the new 90 tooth mounts for a better, more positive and consistent mate. Did some folks experience 18 tooth cans loosening during semi-auto fire? Yes, hence the 51 tooth ratchet mount. Then some folks experienced more "slop" in the can than they liked (although as far as I can tell that didn't come up until the SD and SD -N6 went to the 51 tooth mount and some of the precision shooters noticed the movement) So, they've addressed that with a new 90 tooth system that locks up as rock solid as a tightened surefire, but with fewer moving parts and a fraction of the price.
Would you prefer that they not innovate once they've built your can, so you always have the latest version? Or would you insist that a company build the most advanced product that will ever be available, and do it the first time? Probably not....
I mean, seriously, my 87 chevy truck didn't even have a tape player in it. I had to put one in myself. THEN I had to get an adapter so I could play my CDs in a Walkman and hear them through the truck system. And my 2000 Dodge only had a CD player, no XM Satellite Radio - I had to go to a dam stereo shop and get XM radio installed, including a new head unit. That sucks. Those two truck makers are not for me until they get their dam stereo problems worked out!

Hell, the folks who bought cars before air conditioning and power steering shoulda started a Class Action lawsuit.

Word it however you want, doesn't change the issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Word it however you want, doesn't change the issue. </div></div>

You mistake a correct and logical relation of facts for spin and "wording." I didn't "word it how I wanted." I simply stated facts and presented a parallel example that brings clarity to the discussion. Take it however you want, it doesn't change the facts.
smile.gif

I love my AAC cans - great workmanship and nil poi shift, once fitted. I'm gonna keep buying them and fitting my 51 tooth mounts to them...no reason not to. Can't wait to get a couple of Mini7's. I think those will become my favorites on my sbr's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bass Ackwardz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By the way, I challenge you to tune a muzzle device and your rifle's muzzle threads so that it hits the mating surface at top dead center. Then do that over and over on a mass-production scale. That's what you are asking for if you say that every latch should be positioned on every can so that it clicks into place JUST at the same time as EVERY mating surface hits.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Bill </div></div>

That's incorrect. Surefire uses a different mounting system altogether. A good, but different system. An extremely expensive system, apparently, based on the prices. </div></div>

So, what you are saying is, you get what you pay for?

Maybe Surefire uses a different system altogether, but it works. Have you ever seen a post on any forum about how the suppressor attaches to one of their brakes having any issues what so ever? I havent, and believe me, I looked long and hard. Its a different system altogether for a reason. It works. AAC's has issues. The point is after spending $1000 on a suppressor and $150 on a brake, it shouldnt need to be "tuned" to work. But hey you all love your AAC cans, I have no problem with it. I like my Surefire. Thats why there are all kinds of companies that make suppressors. Everyone can choose the flavor they like...

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When you see as many mount issues with aac, that is a problem. I'm not saying thier products are crap(I own a element), I just don't and won't recommend any of their QD cans until they can get their shit together. 18T, 51T, 90T mounts? Not for me... </div></div>

I'm pretty sure that the ratio of satisfied to dissatisfied is heavily on the satisfied side.

The problem is that, for the most part, the only people who get online and post threads about it are the folks who feel like there is a problem. And then sheeple "buy a few mounts" do some reading online and decide that AAC mounts have problems. And then THEY get online and post about AAC mounts having problems, when they've never owned a 51 tooth can and don't know anything about it except what they've been spoonfed by a few posters. If their mounts were really that bad, there would be WAY more feedback about it and they wouldn't be one of the biggest companies in the industry. Seriously...recommending Gemtech and YHM over AAC?

Now, is there room for improvement? Yes. As with any good company, they aren't resting on their laurels - they are innovating and improving. Did the Acme thread allow some blowback from the mount area? Yes. It bothered the precision crowd with their nice glass - hence the more angled mating surface of the new 90 tooth mounts for a better, more positive and consistent mate. Did some folks experience 18 tooth cans loosening during semi-auto fire? Yes, hence the 51 tooth ratchet mount. Then some folks experienced more "slop" in the can than they liked (although as far as I can tell that didn't come up until the SD and SD -N6 went to the 51 tooth mount and some of the precision shooters noticed the movement) So, they've addressed that with a new 90 tooth system that locks up as rock solid as a tightened surefire, but with fewer moving parts and a fraction of the price.
Would you prefer that they not innovate once they've built your can, so you always have the latest version? Or would you insist that a company build the most advanced product that will ever be available, and do it the first time? Probably not....
I mean, seriously, my 87 chevy truck didn't even have a tape player in it. I had to put one in myself. THEN I had to get an adapter so I could play my CDs in a Walkman and hear them through the truck system. And my 2000 Dodge only had a CD player, no XM Satellite Radio - I had to go to a dam stereo shop and get XM radio installed, including a new head unit. That sucks. Those two truck makers are not for me until they get their dam stereo problems worked out!

Hell, the folks who bought cars before air conditioning and power steering shoulda started a Class Action lawsuit.

</div></div>

Be careful with the use of the word "sheeple". You are talking about people on here complaining because they actually have had these issues, not some internet cowboys sitting in their mom's basement in their underware posting on here. With what you just said above, I would have to compare your take on AAC to my take on the company named Microsoft. Putting out products they know full well have issues and then putting out updates later, and charging for them. They arent innovating anything, they are making ithe product they put out earlier actually function like it should have in the first place. But again, there are several flavors of suppressors, choose the one you like...

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Seriously...recommending Gemtech and YHM over AAC?
</div></div>

Yup, two companies who know how to build a QD mount. I would rate GT cans above aac anyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Saying aac is better is just retarded.

Keep up the aac fan boi attitude though, if you were one of the many who had/has shitty mount issues, you would be singing a different tune.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Seriously...recommending Gemtech and YHM over AAC?
</div></div>

Yup, two companies who know how to build a QD mount. I would rate GT cans above aac anyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Saying aac is better is just retarded.

Keep up the aac fan boi attitude though, if you were one of the many who had/has shitty mount issues, you would be singing a different tune.</div></div>

I haven't seen any issues first hand with the AAC mount. Although, I have read online of people having those issues. I don't know if I would recommend GT over AAC though. I think it's all personal preference. It's like anything else you buy. If you get burned by a company, you most likely won't buy from them again. Like in your case with AAC.

I know it's another truck analogy, but I was burned by a Dodge and therefore refuse to own anything made by Chrysler. However, I know there are people that swear by them and wouldn't own anything else. Preference coupled with your own experience is what is going to weigh in on your decision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Seriously...recommending Gemtech and YHM over AAC?
</div></div>

Keep up the aac fan boi attitude though, if you were one of the many who had/has shitty mount issues, you would be singing a different tune.</div></div>

I haven't seen any issues first hand with the AAC mount. Although, I have read online of people having those issues. I don't know if I would recommend GT over AAC though. I think it's all personal preference. It's like anything else you buy. If you get burned by a company, you most likely won't buy from them again. Like in your case with AAC.

I know it's another truck analogy, but I was burned by a Dodge and therefore refuse to own anything made by Chrysler. However, I know there are people that swear by them and wouldn't own anything else. Preference coupled with your own experience is what is going to weigh in on your decision. </div></div>

I like your approach much better. That is good that you have not experianced problems and are aware they are out there. My aac burn is from a element but when I was in the market for a QD 7.62 can, all of the acc issues turned me off. GT makes a better product and stands behind them, that wins in my book any day over what some call "X company is more popular, so X is better".

Funny you mention Dodge, I could care less for any Chrysler product. I hear the diesel guys swear by the cummins, they are no better than the Powerstrokes or Duramax. I run all 3 and have not seen where a cummins is any better. More AF support but not better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Seriously...recommending Gemtech and YHM over AAC?
</div></div>

Keep up the aac fan boi attitude though, if you were one of the many who had/has shitty mount issues, you would be singing a different tune. </div></div>

I disagree. Gemtech is decent but I have never seen or owned another can that had such bad first round shift and their only idea of a fix was..... It needs 500 rounds to break in.

None of my AAC cans required a break in period.

My tundra went back twice because the tube would spin when I screwed it on the pistol.
Everyone has their minor issues. Welcome to machining.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bass Ackwardz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Be careful with the use of the word "sheeple". You are talking about people on here complaining because they actually have had these issues, not some internet cowboys sitting in their mom's basement in their underware posting on here. With what you just said above, I would have to compare your take on AAC to my take on the company named Microsoft. Putting out products they know full well have issues and then putting out updates later, and charging for them. They arent innovating anything, they are making ithe product they put out earlier actually function like it should have in the first place. But again, there are several flavors of suppressors, choose the one you like...

Bill </div></div>

This is the point I'm trying to make. My SDN-6 is my first suppressor. I bought it having zero experience with cans. The expectation I had in my mind when buying was that it was going to quickly attach to my guns and quiet them while not causing me any problems. As I have clearly stated, that is not the case. Now, in order to alleviate that problem, have to purchase another brake at a cost of $150 +.

Having experienced first hand the functions of both the AAC and Surefire I wish I had spent more money for a product that works every time out of the box. Instead I have to do one of the following:

1. Go to my gun dealer and sift through their brakes to find the on that works with my can. (Read: Spend more money.)

2. Buy the 90 tooth brake, when it is released. (Read: Wait to spend more money.)

3. Tune my brake. (Read: Employ time and effort which = money.)

Of those options I am going to choose #3. I'm done giving money to AAC until they fix what I consider a problem.

For the record, my SDN-6 shifts the point of impact ~3-4" up and ~3-4" right when it is used. Not that it bothers me. But it happens.

The overall workmanship is great. My only complaint is their fast attach system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And then sheeple "buy a few mounts" do some reading online and decide that AAC mounts have problems.
</div></div>

And finally, is it really necessary to bad mouth folks on the forum for asking questions and/or giving answers? I realize this is the internet and we are all infinitely cooler here than we are in real life but man, get a grip.

The point of the sheeple comment is that the guy doing the posting had never experienced any problems or even owned a centerfire AAC can...he was following someone else's post. Thus, "sheeple." You know, a sheep...

You (Pete Saker) are not who I was calling a "sheeple." You are one of the few who actually have what you consider to be a problem. Really it's a tolerance issue - and that IS a problem for a precision shooter.

The 18 tooth mounts had tons of tolerance and didn't reliably stay tight for some folks.

The 51 tooth mounts have less tolerance, because there are more teeth.

The 90 tooth mounts reduce tolerance even more.

Tolerance in the mounting system is not the result of evil or dishonest intentions, it's a result of the type of mount.

I wish mine was a 90 tooth SR7, but it's just not that much trouble to make sure my N6 mounts are tight. The "issue" has been blown out of proportion, partially by SHEEPLE. It's an appropriate use of the word.

Most folks with bullet hoses who go kill tin cans and hogs don't have a problem with the amount of slack involved - they just like the ability to fast attach - but the precision guys do. For them, tuning a mount, selecting a mount, or getting the 90 tooth version are all potential ways to get tighter fits that please them.

These and similar discussions are what drive companies to refine products. As more companies put out more, tighter, lighter, quieter, more versatile cans, the more the older designs are surpassed. (You know, the old truck/new truck parallel?) That doesn't mean that they were put out with dishonest intent or knowingly sub par. They are sub-par by today's standards. Once the 90 tooth is actually on the market, I would never recommend that one buy the 51 tooth - the 90 tooth has tighter tolerances. Until then, the 51 tooth is a great setup for most folks, and if you want a really tight fit (and your mount and can combo don't already have it) then it's an easy fix.

AAC isn't Microsoft. You are free to select a mount, tune a mount, not worry about it, or pre-order an SR7. There's no deception involved. If you feel like there is excessive slop and you run it by Mers and he agrees, they take the can back and check it out for you. Several folks have sent their's in.

Folks gotta use a little logic when you contemplate the tolerances that are achievable with a mass-manufactured ACME thread ratchet mount. It was designed for FAST ATTACH, and does that job admirably. As we all start trying to shoot tiny groups with our old can, we are going to start noticing and placing importance on other features such as sealing blowback, tight lockup, etc. That's when a manufacturer starts refining the original design to suit the market. 51 tooth for tighter lockup and staying tight during semi-auto use. Now, a 90 tooth for even better lockup. It's normal, not evil, subversive, or surprising.

In fact, if you are going to use it as your Precision Gun can alone, then you might want to consider a suppressor that was designed for Precision guns...not fast attach and durability under heavy volumes of fire.

I ordered mine as a suppressor for a 16 inch AR10 that will see mostly precision use out to 500 and less, as well as a short .300BLK upper and several 5.56 rifles. Loose, fast-attach mounts on the .300BLK and the 5.56 uppers, and a nice tight mount on the AR10 makes the N6 a fantastic choice for me.

If you want a dedicated precision bolt gun can, I think your choice of a TBAC is spot on. Their "mounting system" was designed from the very beginning to be absolutely a precision gun can. Only now are they acknowledging the market for a QD, multi cal can - which is great, I'd like to have one. That was not their primary market when they started, though. It will be interesting to hear how your N6 works after you tune your mount. Do let us know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The point of the sheeple comment is that the guy doing the posting had never experienced any problems or even owned a centerfire AAC can...he was following someone else's post. Thus, "sheeple." You know, a sheep...

You (Pete Saker) are not who I was calling a "sheeple." You are one of the few who actually have what you consider to be a problem. Really it's a tolerance issue - and that IS a problem for a precision shooter.

The 18 tooth mounts had tons of tolerance and didn't reliably stay tight for some folks.

The 51 tooth mounts have less tolerance, because there are more teeth.

The 90 tooth mounts reduce tolerance even more.

Tolerance in the mounting system is not the result of evil or dishonest intentions, it's a result of the type of mount.

I wish mine was a 90 tooth SR7, but it's just not that much trouble to make sure my N6 mounts are tight. The "issue" has been blown out of proportion, partially by SHEEPLE. It's an appropriate use of the word.

Most folks with bullet hoses who go kill tin cans and hogs don't have a problem with the amount of slack involved - they just like the ability to fast attach - but the precision guys do. For them, tuning a mount, selecting a mount, or getting the 90 tooth version are all potential ways to get tighter fits that please them.

These and similar discussions are what drive companies to refine products. As more companies put out more, tighter, lighter, quieter, more versatile cans, the more the older designs are surpassed. (You know, the old truck/new truck parallel?) That doesn't mean that they were put out with dishonest intent or knowingly sub par. They are sub-par by today's standards. Once the 90 tooth is actually on the market, I would never recommend that one buy the 51 tooth - the 90 tooth has tighter tolerances. Until then, the 51 tooth is a great setup for most folks, and if you want a really tight fit (and your mount and can combo don't already have it) then it's an easy fix.

AAC isn't Microsoft. You are free to select a mount, tune a mount, not worry about it, or pre-order an SR7. There's no deception involved. If you feel like there is excessive slop and you run it by Mers and he agrees, they take the can back and check it out for you. Several folks have sent their's in.

Folks gotta use a little logic when you contemplate the tolerances that are achievable with a mass-manufactured ACME thread ratchet mount. It was designed for FAST ATTACH, and does that job admirably. As we all start trying to shoot tiny groups with our old can, we are going to start noticing and placing importance on other features such as sealing blowback, tight lockup, etc. That's when a manufacturer starts refining the original design to suit the market. 51 tooth for tighter lockup and staying tight during semi-auto use. Now, a 90 tooth for even better lockup. It's normal, not evil, subversive, or surprising.

In fact, if you are going to use it as your Precision Gun can alone, then you might want to consider a suppressor that was designed for Precision guns...not fast attach and durability under heavy volumes of fire.

I ordered mine as a suppressor for a 16 inch AR10 that will see mostly precision use out to 500 and less, as well as a short .300BLK upper and several 5.56 rifles. Loose, fast-attach mounts on the .300BLK and the 5.56 uppers, and a nice tight mount on the AR10 makes the N6 a fantastic choice for me.

If you want a dedicated precision bolt gun can, I think your choice of a TBAC is spot on. Their "mounting system" was designed from the very beginning to be absolutely a precision gun can. Only now are they acknowledging the market for a QD, multi cal can - which is great, I'd like to have one. That was not their primary market when they started, though. It will be interesting to hear how your N6 works after you tune your mount. Do let us know.

</div></div>

You are still not getting it, making the suppressor attach to the brake tight enough so that there is no blowback of carbon and gas isnt an "upgrade". Making the suppressor lighter, or more quiet through a new baffle design, thats an "upgrade". Switching gears and saying the N6 isnt a precision suppressor is no more than back pedaling. Sure the TBAC is more suited to it, but i use my Surefire on an LMT 260 out to 1k plus. It has no issues doing what i want it to do without mounting problems.

Again, you shoot your flavor and enjoy it. Others will shoot other flavors. Theres no need to argue about it on the internet. Still you cant deny theres an issue with the mounting system from AAC. To do so is bordering on fanboyism...

Bill

See "original purpose of the mount." A little leakage of gas past the mount just doesn't seem to be an issue for the fast attach purpose. I'm going to use mine for a "precision rifle." With the right mount, it will work fine. It was never designed for that, nor is it something the OP asked about. You can look at how it's constructed and tell the purpose for which it was designed. Shoe-horning it and it's mount into a precision role CAN be done, but you will need to get the right mount or tune the one you have.

For the record, I had an old 18 tooth SD on a 20 inch Remington 5R. I never had any problems with it OR any blow-by.

The OP didn't ask for advice about using it on precision rifles. He asked if the N6 was worth the extra money over the SD. The correct answer to that is, "It depends." If he wants shorter, or a more durable can for high volume of fire, then it probably is. If he just wants quiet, then maybe not.

The fact that he bought 4 mounts indicates that Fast Attach and QD are a feature he wants. Not usually a precision rifle thing. The Surefire mounts lock up great, and are basically the best of both worlds - but with the arrival of the 90 tooth units then the quality of an AAC with the solid mountup of the Surefire makes for a pretty good deal compared to the Surefire pricing. So, I suggested the SR7 if that mattered to him.

It's amazing how a simple, quiet, logical explanation can result in so many sandy vaginas. It would be interesting to find out how many folks posting about the topic actually have experience with it.

OK, straight out of the 2012 AAC book, picked up from the counter at SHOT on my way by their booth..

<span style="font-weight: bold">"51T Ratchet mount...users are able to securely install the silencer on the weapon in under 3 seconds without the use of tools and with no moving parts. The ratchet latch prevents the silencer from loosening during use."</span>

Notice the purpose that they describe for the 51 tooth. FAST ATTACH.

<span style="font-weight: bold">"90 tooth Ratchet Taper Mount..based on feedback from customers...AAC designers configured...a 90 tooth gear and a silencer bearing interface with a low angle taper. A finer pitch ACME thread draws the taper on the flash hider against a mating taper in the suppressor mount, resulting in a rock solid flash hider-to-silencer interface.."</span>

Notice the refinement in the new mount?

<span style="font-weight: bold">"762-SDN-6...is a compact fast attach sound a flash suppressor...features a fully welded all-Inconel baffle stack and front end cap to maximize durability on select fire 7.62mm SBRs....also functions as a superb multi-caliber suppressor for multiple hosts.."</span>

Notice the purpose described for the N6. Pressing it into service on a precision rifle requires a selected or tuned mount - but it will work fine for that role with the RIGHT mount.

<span style="font-weight: bold">"SR7..the new for 2012 SR7 is a multi-use fast-attach suppressor ...the SR7 can be eually useful on a 10 inch 5.56mm, a 12 inch 7.62mm, and a 24 inch .308 bolt gun...When the situation calls for a long shot, use the 90 tooth Ratchet Taper Mount to install the SR7 on a Blackout muzzle brake equipped precision rifle. The rock-solid interface of the Ratchet Taper Mount enhances practical accuracy and minimizes point of impact shift.."</span>

That one is just self-explanatory. Again, I wish I had an SR7 on order...but I'm going to run my N6 on a tight mount and not worry about it.

Dam..I disliked typing off a page in high-school and I still don't like it...
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, straight out of the 2012 AAC book, picked up from the counter at SHOT on my way by their booth..

<span style="font-weight: bold">"51T Ratchet mount...users are able to securely install the silencer on the weapon in under 3 seconds without the use of tools and with no moving parts. The ratchet latch prevents the silencer from loosening during use."</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">"90 tooth Ratchet Taper Mount..based on feedback from customers...AAC designers configured...a 90 tooth gear and a silencer bearing interface with a low angle taper. A finer pitch ACME thread draws the taper on the flash hider against a mating taper in the suppressor mount, resulting in a rock solid flash hider-to-silencer interface.."</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">"762-SDN-6...is a compact fast attach sound a flash suppressor...features a fully welded all-Inconel baffle stack and front end cap to maximize durability on select fire 7.62mm SBRs....also functions as a superb multi-caliber suppressor for multiple hosts.."</span>

Notice the purpose described for the N6. Pressing it into service on a precision rifle requires a selected or tuned mount - but it will work fine for that role with the RIGHT mount.

<span style="font-weight: bold">"SR7..the new for 2012 SR7 is a multi-use fast-attach suppressor ...the SR7 can be eually useful on a 10 inch 5.56mm, a 12 inch 7.62mm, and a 24 inch .308 bolt gun...When the situation calls for a long shot, use the 90 tooth Ratchet Taper Mount to install the SR7 on a Blackout muzzle brake equipped precision rifle. The rock-solid interface of the Ratchet Taper Mount enhances practical accuracy and minimizes point of impact shift.."</span>

That one is just self-explanatory. Again, I wish I had an SR7 on order...but I'm going to run my N6 on a tight mount and not worry about it.

smile.gif

</div></div>

So why then did AAC partner with Remington to introduce the Remington 700 AAC-SD? QCB perhaps???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Sake</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, straight out of the 2012 AAC book, picked up from the counter at SHOT on my way by their booth..

smile.gif

</div></div>

So why then did AAC partner with Remington to introduce the Remington 700 AAC-SD? QCB perhaps??? </div></div>

Remington owns AAC.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Sake</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, straight out of the 2012 AAC book, picked up from the counter at SHOT on my way by their booth..

smile.gif

</div></div>

So why then did AAC partner with Remington to introduce the Remington 700 AAC-SD? QCB perhaps??? </div></div>

Remington owns AAC..... </div></div>

I understand that. Was the R700 AAC-SD introduced before Remington bought them? I'll be honest, I haven't been paying that much attention to that aspect of their product. I've unfortunately been focusing on the blow by that is on my objective lens.

Either way, if the SD/SDN-6 and its fast attach mount were not designed for long range work, why did they introduce a long range gun that implies that it is?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K8E_zMLCRNg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K8E_zMLCRNg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">See "original purpose of the mount." A little leakage of gas past the mount just doesn't seem to be an issue for the fast attach purpose. I'm going to use mine for a "precision rifle." With the right mount, it will work fine. It was never designed for that, nor is it something the OP asked about. You can look at how it's constructed and tell the purpose for which it was designed. Shoe-horning it and it's mount into a precision role CAN be done, but you will need to get the right mount or tune the one you have.

For the record, I had an old 18 tooth SD on a 20 inch Remington 5R. I never had any problems with it OR any blow-by.

The OP didn't ask for advice about using it on precision rifles. He asked if the N6 was worth the extra money over the SD. The correct answer to that is, "It depends." If he wants shorter, or a more durable can for high volume of fire, then it probably is. If he just wants quiet, then maybe not.

The fact that he bought 4 mounts indicates that Fast Attach and QD are a feature he wants. Not usually a precision rifle thing. The Surefire mounts lock up great, and are basically the best of both worlds - but with the arrival of the 90 tooth units then the quality of an AAC with the solid mountup of the Surefire makes for a pretty good deal compared to the Surefire pricing. So, I suggested the SR7 if that mattered to him.

It's amazing how a simple, quiet, logical explanation can result in so many sandy vaginas. It would be interesting to find out how many folks posting about the topic actually have experience with it.

</div></div>

So i have a sandy vagina now? Wow, and here i thought this discussion wasnt going to delve into high school rhetoric.

For the record, i work for a local gun shop that is an SOT holder and is selling 20-30 suppressors per month at the moment. We sell several brands, of cans, in many calibers and configurations. I have had more chances to shoot and demo the suppressors we sell than not. I am by no means an expert, but i know when a product is a sub par design and might have issues.

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Sake</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Sake</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, straight out of the 2012 AAC book, picked up from the counter at SHOT on my way by their booth..

smile.gif

</div></div>

Remington owns AAC..... </div></div>

I understand that. Was the R700 AAC-SD introduced before Remington bought them? I'll be honest, I haven't been paying that much attention to that aspect of their product. I've unfortunately been focusing on the blow by that is on my objective lens.

Either way, if the SD/SDN-6 and its fast attach mount were not designed for long range work, why did they introduce a long range gun that implies that it is? </div></div>

Actually the SDN6 was developed to take punishment of SBRs. Hence it's mostly inconel internals. It was also designed to be used as the mating suppressor for their 300 blackout series of uppers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Sake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Either way, if the SD/SDN-6 and its fast attach mount were not designed for long range work, why did they introduce a long range gun that implies that it is? </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Actually the SDN6 was developed to take punishment of SBRs. Hence it's mostly inconel internals. It was also designed to be used as the mating suppressor for their 300 blackout series of uppers. </div></div>

Ok.

1.The SD and SDN-6 use the same mounting solution, correct?
2. Remington/AAC produced a model of the Remington 700 called the Remington 700 AAC-SD, correct?
3. Remington 700's are used for long range shooting, correct?
4. Long range shooting is often referred to as precision shooting, correct?
5. Precision shooting implies that an individual will use a firearm to hit small things at long distances, correct?

Therefore, A rifle named Remington 700 AAC-SD suggests that a Remington 700 used in conjunction with an AAC-SD and its fast attach system that is shared with its shorter variant, the AAC SDN-6, will be used for long range precision shooting.

With this type of logic employed, one can conclude that the fast attach system that is used on the SD and SDN-6 was designed with long range precision shooting in mind.

What am I missing here?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YMdiKV6UjNk&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YMdiKV6UjNk&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Listen very carefully. Especially at 0:20, 0:33, and 1:47.

Guys, I make no excuse for Remington and AAC's lead engineer trying to piggy-back a goofy rifle package onto the marketing wagon.

The fact is that the N6 wasn't designed for precision use, but CAN be used for that if you take the time to select or tune a mount.