• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AAC Barrels?

UnitedFan

Private
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2011
West Chester, Pa
I tried to find info on AAC barrels. Found tons of stuff on their cans. Can anyone comment on the quality of their barrels. I have a 700P. Not unhappy with the performance. I just want a shorter barrel with threads. What are the suggestions? Spend $400 for a drop in barrel or send my gun off to GAP for a custom barrel install? If I do the custom route is it necessary to have the action trued to extract maximum accuracy. My 700P actioned barrel is in an AICS 1.5 chassis. My go to gun is a GAP built .260 on a Surgeon action. The 700 is my gun out to 600. Not worried beyond that.

Re: AAC Barrels?

If you decide to rebarrel your 700 rule of thumb is to have it trued and if you have the funds for it send it to gap. I have been saving for GAP rifle. If not cut your barrel and have it threaded cost around $250.00 in SA TX. Just my .2 cents

I'm thinking that the AAC barrels are actually Remington barrels. They are owned by the same conglomerate. I was looking at the 300 blackout barrel. Even the thread protector is the same as the factory Remington threaded rifles.

Not sure about the barrels. I had to replace mine. I had a bad one. @ 100 the best group I could get was 3 inch. I sent it to GAP and they could only get 2 inch. Had the action trued, barrel replaced and stock bedded. Good luck!

If you're going to replace the barrel, you might as well have the action trued at the same time.

The most cost effective option has been mentioned with cutting the barrel and threading if that's the OP's sole objective.

The aftermarket AAC barrels are an interesting proposition and I'm considering one if I ever shoot through my original one.

Curious as to which barrel cajunshooter had that was the bad one: the 24" .260 or the 18" .308 and why it was bad?

If you're going to get a new barrel, and pay a premium for it, you might as well true the action to get your money's worth. Speaking of, I wouldn't put an "AAC" barrel on it either, as Tricky said it's probably a plain jane Remington barrel. Instead, I'd go for a Lilja, Rock, Bartlein, or something of that nature.

I believe you are right. Started giving it some more thought. A new custom barrel is approx $300 plus the cost of cutting the chamber. Instead of buying the AAC I may as well go ahead and put the money into a custom barrel and spend a bit more and have the action trued. Doubt there is any negative to doing so. At least then I will have a solid build. I will use GAP as they built my .260.

Thanks to everyone who took time to comment.

From what I have heard from AAC their barrels are not Remington barrels and are not cut with Remington reamers.