• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AAC flash supressor question

bassfishindoc

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2011
The Hills of East TN
Hey everybody, I have a quick question. I recently ordered a Noveske N6 .308 upper through DSG arms. I just got a call from them saying that Noveske called them and said they have a shipment of N6 uppers ready to go, however, they have run out of the vortex flash hider that normally comes on the rifle so they are giving their customers four options. I can either wait until they get more vortex flash hiders (which could take a while), have them install either an AAC Blackout or AAC Breakout flash hider (which they have in stock and which would not change the cost of my upper), or ship the rifle without a flash hider (with the cost lowered to compensate for the cost of the flash hider). I am unfamiliar with the AAC flash hiders and do not know how they compare to the Vortex so I am looking for some advice on what to do. Are the AAC flash hiders an upgrade from the vortex? Are the AAC's capable of mounting a silencer? Would it be better to just forget the vortex and the AAC and go with something else? Any info would be helpful. I have to call them tomorrow to let them know what I want. Thanks!

Re: AAC flash supressor question

In my opinion, yes, the Blackout flash hider is a better muzzle device for flash suppression. It can be used to mount an AAC suppressor but they also sell a non suppressor mount version.

I have an ACC Blackout with the ability to fit the QD type suppressor to it on my 14.5 6.8 Noveske. It works great. I compared it beside my friends Vortex that is mounted on his 16" RRA 5.56. It was the middle of the night out in the mountains and mine had slightly less flash.

I have no actual experience mounting the suppressor to it though as I live in California.
frown.gif

I wouldn't bother waiting on the Vortex. Not that the Vortex isn't a nice flash hider, but the AAC units are extremely nice and are an upgrade over the basic Vortex (both in terms of cost and performance).

Like Ty said...the AAC flash hiders and brakes can be used as suppressor mounts. AAC's 51 tooth cans (such as the 762-SD for example) are ratchet mounted directly onto the muzzle devices. The Blackout is the AAC pronged flash hider (vaguely similar in appears to the Vortex in terms of the prongs). The Breakout that you were offered is a "hybrid" of sorts that combines both a muzzle brake and the pronged flash hider like the Blackout.

Take a look at AAC's website for more information (the muzzle brakes/FHs are listed under Accessories).

Thanks for the quick replies! I had checked out AAC's website and liked what I saw, I just wanted to hear some experiences from people who have used these flash hiders. I did some more research and found out that the AAC's cost double what the vortex runs so that definitely plays to my advantage as the upper will not change in price. I have also found some other positive reviews of them along with what you guys have said. I think I am going to go with the Breakout as I think I will like having the break. Hopefully the upper will be here next week so I can take it to the range and post some pics and range results!

Just be aware that the Brakeout does not have the same flash hiding capabilities as the Blackout and is much more of a brake/compensator than a flash hider.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just be aware that the Brakeout does not have the same flash hiding capabilities as the Blackout and is much more of a brake/compensator than a flash hider. </div></div>

+1 on this. Because you have to compromise some on one ability to achieve another, you end up with something that works on both applications, but does neither as well as their dedicated counterpart (i.e. - the Breakout will not be as good a flash hider as the Blackout FH, nor will it be as good a brake as the specific Blackout brake).

The brakeout is great. I have one on my .300WM. They are pricey though. But I use it with a 7.62SD so it's worth it as a double use device.

But the blackout is not for everyone. It is very effective at eliminating the flash. But it rings like a tuning fork when you shoot. Not everyone likes this 'feature'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: colt933</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The brakeout is great. I have one on my .300WM. They are pricey though. But I use it with a 7.62SD so it's worth it as a double use device.

But the blackout is not for everyone. It is very effective at eliminating the flash. But it rings like a tuning fork when you shoot. Not everyone likes this 'feature'. </div></div>

Are you gys noticing any difference in accuracy with these flash hiders mounted on your AR's? I just bought a GAP10 and had them thread the barrel but I am unsure if I am going to put on a brake/hider because I want the best accuracy that I can get out of it???

I have seen some of the top builders use AAC muzzle devices on their full custom builds. I think that the accuracy is more to do with the crowining and thread job than any flaws in the muzzle device. I just looked at Terry Cross' new post about some recent builds and it doesn't look like he has any reservation when it comes to using the blackout.

High quality muzzle brakes or flash hiders (like the AAC units for example) that are built to appropriate tolerances, installed properly on a properly threaded/crowned barrel, will not adversely impact accuracy. You should NOT have any difficulties whatsoever with running an AAC Blackout or Breakout on a GAP-10.

Now, in contrast, if you have a barrel that is not threaded concentrically to the bore and you install a muzzle device, or you install a muzzle device that is a cheap piece of crap, then you may have issues.

Also note that AAC makes Blackout units without silencer mount capability for a lower price, so it is possible that is what they had in mind, but I think they are 5.56mm only, so probably they are giving you one which can mount a silencer. MidwayUSA has the full line of them.

But yes, the Blackout should also be stronger, because it has three wider prongs rather than four. The Army decided they needed them and recently airlifted 12,000 of them directly into combat.

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, I'm glad to see you went with a Brakeout for the same cost as the Vortex. That may be one of the best trade-ups I've seen. Pretty stand-up of <span style="text-decoration: line-through">DSG </span> Noveske to offer that. You will be WAY happier with the Brakeout than the Vortex.

ETA: Now I'm not surprised at all, Noveske is good people.

It was actually Noveske that did the trade up. They are out of Vortex, so rather than hold on to the uppers for who knows how long, they called DSG to see if it would be all right with them if they changed the muzzle device, and DSG called me as I had one backordered to give me the option of the Blackout vs. Breakout. I think that is pretty awesome of Noveske. DSG is also a fantastic company. They are always great when you call in, are easy to work with, and have a great military discount. I got $174 off the upper, and now an upgraded muzzle device. I just can't wait for it to get here!