• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors AAC lifetime warranty doesn't mean "lifetime".....?????.....

BigBoss0311

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2009
Allen, TX
I have an Evolution .40 currently sitting in repair. I was sent an email today which asked me to call today. I was told my can is "unrepairable" due to them not having parts. I was told my options were:

1. Sign a waiver stating can is unsafe to fire and have can sent back to me unrepaired and unable to use
2. Sign a form stating that Remington will destroy my can and remove from registry.

That is it. Only options given. When I stated the warranty is repair OR replace, they told me it was only if it is a manufacturer defect and the main repair person determines that. Nowhere in the warranty does it say that. They told me they will discuss with that person and get back to me. So far, not impressed with the service received, and I am not hopeful this will turn out well.

Back story on can:

Took it to my local indoor range to shoot. Was using it on my USP .40 Tactical (with correct piston) and after about 5 shots, the end cap (which is not removable) flew off downrange. No baffle strikes seen by me or reported by CS. Indoor range (DFW Gun Range in Addison) stated they would grab endcap for me at end of night after they closed (Endcap was visible about 15 yards downrange in the next firing lane and pointed out to RSO). Called the next day, they said they forgot and would do it that night. Called next day they said they forgot again and would do it that night. Called next day and they said they couldn't find it (go figure). Shit out of luck with that range. Called AAC and was promised multiple times to have warranty repair info sent, 3 weeks and multiple calls later, warranty form was emailed to me. Fast forward to today.

This can has seen normal use and was not abused by me in any way. I was using factory Federal Champion 180gr ammunition. Can was checked for tightness prior to shooting, and even checked again after first few rounds were fired. Not sure why I am being given the run-around, but if this is the standard for AAC service, I am very disappointed.

Link to warranty:

http://www.advanced-armament.com/Warranty-Information_ep_50-1.html

Wow... that SUCKS. That said, I would think that it could be repaired by any machinist, but the hitch would be that you'd have to be there the whole time (assuming that the machinist isn't part of your NFA trust).

On the other hand, I have to wonder if a properly licensed manufacturer could repair it for you... it'd likely cost a few bucks (which sucks, given that AAC should handle it), but perhaps the folks at TBAC or Liberty Suppressors, or one of the others could help you out.

One other option might be to get a lawyer after 'em... I hate advocating that course of action, but when companies do things like pull out "surprise" verbiage or unwritten policies in their warranties, then ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

While this situation sucks, read the "Limitations" section of the warranty more carefully. It basically gives them the power, in their sole discretion, to determine if damage is the result of user error. The warranty stacks the deck in their favor because, basically, all they have to do is claim it's your fault and they're off the hook. Just one question: why didn't you make it your mission to retrieve the end cap from the range? Not for nothing, I would have been right back there 30 minutes before closing time to get my hands on it if I were in your shoes. I have NEVER met a range employee who had an IQ over 75 and gave a damn about anything other than selling over-priced paper targets to people who are completely unqualified to handle a BB gun. Let alone count on them to retrieve a specialized part from a suppressor that cost several hundred dollars and took over 9 months to receive. Just saying.

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
AAC cannot condition the return of your can on signing a release, send them a letter (certified) demanding the return of your property.

Reactions: LSUbeatUby40
Good luck with AAC, keep arguing with them, be a pest but don't be a dick. Take it to the top, especially if you think it's covered under warranty and isn't in a gray area. They are pros at turning down warranty work and I suspect at this point, after the bankruptcy of Remington (likely due or in part due to the acquisition of AAC!) they are just trying to "CYA" everything sent to them by making you sign that paper releasing them of anymore duty essentially. Wow. What a fucking stellar show, AAC! I have four 51T models, two SDN6's and two 556SD's. Got good deals on 'em, only $450 ea. for the 556SD's. Luckily I have good mounts, but still worry about an issue and having to deal with AAC afterwards.

Looking for a small shop that'll take the work and make the part is probably best if you can't get them to do their fucking jobs at AAC. Not having the part. They're the mfg.! And it's not like they have a massive product like, phasing complex designs in and out! I also happen to know they have assloads of CNC gear and that part likely takes all of fifteen seconds to make once the program is selected and executed, and they probably have at least ONE they keep off the line for making custom parts, small parts, one off parts, etc. Wow, what a class act.

At this point you can't really threaten to trash 'em online... Honey over vinegar, man, and good luck!

Yea I gave up on AAC over the whole "DAmn the man" $200 certificate fiasco (buy a can, get a $200 gift certificate for our web store). Took over a year to use the certificates as they never had ANYTHING in stock to use them on, couldn't even get pistons for the pistol cans. Finally gave up and got some clothing and lucked out and got a geissele trigger. AAC went downhill when Freedom group took over and ran off the original founders.

Take a few Tums or Alka-Seltzers.......as to the "run-around".....can only imagine the why-fors!
Probably not going to end well. Apologies for the CNN link......

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/25/news/companies/remington-bankruptcy/index.html

Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 6.29.23 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 6.29.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 6.29.23 PM.png
    184.4 KB · Views: 60
Yep. I had a slight end strike on a M4-2000. I was told instead of repair they would make me a hellava deal if I decided to let them destroy mine and sell me a new one. I did that and the deal was no deal. I was an idiot but new to NFA. That as years ago and many tens of thousands spent on cans since. Non of them aac products. They lost a lifetime nfa buyer because of terrible CS. KAC gets all my NFA money and I couldn’t be happier. I have spoken to Trey, Jack and KB back in the day. Awesome group of guys that always have time for their customers. Looks like AAC hasn’t changed.

Go with Elite Iron next time. I have an ACC and an Elite Iron. The few questions I have had for Elite Iron they were quick to respond. Good luck

They declined to honor the $200 from their damn the man sale for the suppressor I bought. Not a fan.

AAC is the Walmart of Suppressors...they are everywhere but you rarely want to buy from them if you can help it. Every gun shop has AAC cans and it is for a reason , they are cheap, and they give sweetheart deals to their dealers. I always tell new people to the NFA world that the majority of good suppressors are built by companies you have never heard of before; they only know AAC and Silencerco.

They got me on my first one - AAC M4-2000 - can sucks and I rarely use it because of the AAC 51T mount issues.

I have 2 AAC paperweights. I have called them several times, emailed them over and over and never do I get anywhere.

I would not care that I made a mistake (even though costly) if it were not for the fact that you are married to a can.

Don't know where you are from, but the other day I was in a little shop in Southern part of Missouri, 'Ozark Armory' and the make their own cans to sell. You would think there are similar shops around and they might be able to help you out. I'm thinking I will take my paperweights to this shop and let them try to make them shoot. They get 550-650 for a can and I feel I will have to pay full price, but hey then I will at least have something.

And if you are local to a suppressor builder you can drive to them if you need maintenance work vice never getting AAC to pick up the phone or answer an email.

As much as I enjoy a good round of "Kick AAC", I have to admit that I am really happy with my TiRant 9. My first can was an SDN-6, and like many, I had issues with the 51T mounts until I fitted them (which shouldn't be necessary). At that point, it's a decent enough can, though at this point it is fairly dated in design/capability. Full disclosure, I have since sold it, and replaced it with a Specwar 7.62.

The TiRant 9, though, I very much enjoy on a variety of hosts.

Reactions: Sharp Shooter
I have 2 AAC paperweights. I have called them several times, emailed them over and over and never do I get anywhere.

I would not care that I made a mistake (even though costly) if it were not for the fact that you are married to a can.

Don't know where you are from, but the other day I was in a little shop in Southern part of Missouri, 'Ozark Armory' and the make their own cans to sell. You would think there are similar shops around and they might be able to help you out. I'm thinking I will take my paperweights to this shop and let them try to make them shoot. They get 550-650 for a can and I feel I will have to pay full price, but hey then I will at least have something.
You can take the outer sleeve of the AAC can to a machinist with an 007 Mfg. license (like Ozark Armory) and make all new parts for it. Essentially all you have to keep is the sleeve with the OEM name, model, and serial #. It would be a completely rebuilt (not AAC) suppressor in the old housing and retain the name and the stamp linked to you. This is probably not a low cost option, but it would avoid another $200 and your time, and if you have a good guy you can make a crap AAC can into one that will last your lifetime. If it's a couple of hundred more it might be worth it.

I'm guessing you're the same person who posted on ARF.com? To update this thread:

To quote part of the post by Mike Smith at AAC on ARF.com:
"The Evo 40 in question was examined and found to have a bulge at the front of the tube where the end cap threads reside. This bulge constitutes damage to the serialized aluminum tube that cannot be repaired or replaced. Bulges of this nature are typically found when the silencer has experienced an over-pressure situation or had a front end cap strike that removes the front end cap..."

And the OPs latest on there was:
****update 3/28****
Mike sent my info to another csr and I have been offered 50% off MSRP for a tirant 45m not including shipping and taxes......so yeah. I'm going to take a day and think about it. I can get silencerco, deadair, and rugged cans for the same price so I might go that route since I will be out another tax stamp and almost a year of my life. Either way, I will make a decision soon as I deploy in a couple weeks and need to get some ball rolling.

No it's like having a problem with a product you spent a lot of cash on and a long time to get,
From a company that won't sevice it because they suck.
And then trying to badger people into signing off on thier shit.
Cant imagine any body buying new from them ever again!
My 223 m1000 shelled out because the mount on the can crapped out!

I have 308, 223, and 45 cans from aac, you can bet they will be the last from those crooks.
When did it become accepted to tell customers F U we dont service our shit!

Last edited:
I just looked at my tax stamp and I got my AAC cans approved on 06/14/2012. That is nearly 6 years ago. Both had the piece of crap 51t mounts. Turned sub 1/2 inch rifles into 2 inch guns. How's that for a good use of money and time?

Took one to the gunsmith that built the rifle and had the mount turned down to the point it locks up good. Helped but not a cure all.
Took the other one and had a shop make it into a direct thread. Monday I shot the first target (in nearly 6 years) with the AAC on the rifle that I thought was a keeper.

1522924497074.png

That is 10 shots and while not great, remember I have lots of money and time invested in this.

At the end of the day, AAC could offer me a discount of 90% and I would not buy another one. Both of the ones I have needed work, but AAC was not willing to help. I had to out source the work to fix their product. That moves them to the head of the 'never buy from this company again' list.

Reactions: JSTARSZ
I spent 4 years going back and forth with AAC on a factory defective can where the threads where not concentric with the rear of the can which caused massive POI shifts, terrible accuracy, and even a couple baffle strikes. They returned it to me several times unrepaired and only the last time admitted it was fucked and they no longer had the parts to repair it... but they did have the parts when I first sent it in when they still made the can, but didn't repair it.

Their offer... Replace it with a cheaper can that doesn't have the specific direct thread feature that I bought this one for and instead uses one of their shitty mounts (I've had my fair share of issues with those too), AND I get to pay the $200 stamp again.

AAC can go fuck themselves.

I'd suggest you guys buy a small lathe, learn to operate it an form 1 your shit, instead of dicking with any mfg.

Have fun trying to make a baffle stack that's worth a fuck on a lathe. Good luck designing a good baffle stack in general.

I value my time so I'll buy from a reputable manufacturer like TBAC.

Reactions: Lakotah
I know enough to know that you need more than a lathe to make a decent suppressor. Add a decent multiple axis mill to that list, plus all the tooling.

You could buy just about any pre 86 auto, and a fuck ton of suppressors for what it would cost you to tool up to make a good can.

Well enjoy your shitty form 1 suppressors. I'll enjoy mine that actually have good suppression, minimal POI shift, good accuracy, and titanium construction. I'll also enjoy my time actually shooting instead of hodgepodging a turd that isn't even worth the $200 tax stamp.

Laughing, ask a few on this board how they like mine, then get back to me. Or better yet come to HardRock an give us all a lesson in what can't be made on a Southbend.

I value my time so I'll buy from a reputable manufacturer like TBAC.

That is what I did. The TBAC is great, move it from rifle to rifle and no problems. I like that I can take it off to clean the rifle, just spin it back on and everything is still good to go.

The AAC has you chasing everything without you having changed a thing.

I emailed TB one time just to ask about shooting this on a WM and had an answer back right now. I realize that is not asking for repair work, but nothing I read indicates they don't take care of business.

Reactions: Holliday
You don't know anything about machining do you?
No, I don't, and that's the point... so I could either shell out $3k+ for a lathe and tooling, plus spend my time (and money on materials) learning how to work the damn thing and turn out quality parts, or I could cough up about $1k for a professionally built/tested suppressor. The cost of the stamp (whether it's Form 1 or Form 4) is moot because the cost is the same.

If it was a skill (and a tool) that I already had, it'd be one thing... but as it is, I don't have the room for a lathe, nor a way (other than trial-and-error) to learn how to use it well. I wish I did, but you know the old saying; wish in one hand...

Built my first one in 1975 an never looked back. My last S/B cost me $450.00 w/tooling an has made a shit ton of obsolete parts for many a local application. Skill sets trump throwing money away.
If you can find a functioning $450 Southbend for sale, I'd be your best friend... 'cause I can foot the bill for that. However, because I do have an interest in learning to operate a lathe, I have been looking at them... and even used, I'm seeing $3k+ for anything beyond wood (or automotive brake) lathes.

Reactions: ddavis
You can find a good 10" for about 300-500 in many places, but not via dealers or gaybay. I just passed on a 16X96 S/B with tons of tooling for $1500.00 only because I would have had to cut it down to fit in the space allotted. Called a friend an he bought it over the phone after I described it to him. Another buddy bought the guys 9x42 bridgeport for 1400.00 with lots of tooling. Both units had very little use on them. Used machines are out there you just have to stay away from dealers an buy them from the past user. Another buddy just got back from Ohio where he bought a 14x40 S/B, 9x42 Bridgeport, 1 miller 400 amp, an 1 Lincoln 400 amp Diesel welders, the total package was $6,500.00 fob Ohio. His trip cost added about 800 bucks. The welders had less than 15 hrs each, an the Bridgeport had a total of 7 hrs use, no hr meter on the S/B, but the S/B had about 10K worth of tooling, some still in wax. The net, is a good place, but your best bet is get next to an good auction company, they have in roads to all kinds of stuff, most others don't. You wait long enough You'll find what your looking for, just be patient.

sorry for the lack of updates. this is the final outcome. I have also linked to the complete thread on arf.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/...warranty-doesn-t-mean-lifetime----/20-487892/

My reply to the CSR:

Thank you for the offer but I will have to decline. It is frustrating to be told that the failure of the suppressor is basically my fault even though I did nothing to induce that failure. I used factory ammo that had no issues, was shooting the can dry, and was using the proper mount/piston. Yet still the can failed and I don't know why. But now I am out my initial investment, $200 tax stamp, and almost a year of time. And I now have to do it all over again. Please send the unrepaired suppressor back to me when you can. Thank you and take care.

Lol at learning how to make gun parts and silencers. I don't have enough time to shoot let alone reload and make cans. Would be a useful skill and piece of machinery to have for sure.

Folks I just wanted to Post a recent interaction with AAC. To start I don't get anything from AAC or was not asked by AAC to post this information.

So this Dumb Dum didn't screw on his suppressor the first time I took it to the range and got almost all the baffles and of course an end cap Strike as a result of 110% My own Negligence. The below is the initial email that I sent to AAC on 24 November 18 after returning home from the range. This was not edited to remove any of AAC or my data since no names were used anyway.

Total Cost to me maybe $1.00 for gas to Fed X
Days total from Initial email including shipping both ways: 72 days from 24 Nov to 4 Feb

> *Sent: *November 24 2018 12:22:26 AM
> *To:*[email protected]
> *Subject: *Baffle and End Cap Strike
>
> Hello,
> So I did the rookie mistake today and got an end cap and baffle strike on
> my new suppressor a 7.62 SD. 110% my fault I got distracted and did not
> fully attach it to the quick attach muzzle brake. What is the cost for the
> repair and the average lead time for the repair? Also, how do I legally get
> it to you and back? The relatively small amount of rounds I got down range
> with it today I was truly amazed. I’m got to be ordering the 5.56 SD for my
> Christmas Present.
>
>
> Thank you and best regards,
> AAC Customer Services
>

The Automated response came next

AAC Support
Service Ticket: 889630 - Notification
H04pZYufbWcC4gz0sCWigyOxG4kNWlH1UlhEcirVjaDAxqHcw9QD_uisfB4aA9e_tYLSIVljs6KF5ByWixwF3gn1=s0-d-e1-ft

We have received your E-Mail request about "Baffle and End Cap Strike"
Ticket: 889630 has been created and you should receive an initial response shortly.
Thank you and best regards,
AAC Customer Services

Three days later I got this I DID REMOVE MY ADDRESS AND CELL NUMBER AND Ser Number FYSA

Sent: November 27 2018 02:53:08 PM
To:[email protected]
Subject: Re: [ Ticket: 889630 ] Baffle and End Cap Strike
Allen Bunn

Address: REMOVED FROM POST

Serial Number: REMOVED FROM POST

Thanks that’s awesome do I need to enclose a copy of my form 4

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 2:49 PM wrote:

> AAC Support Service Ticket Response
>
> Good afternoon,
>
> Please send me your name, shipping address, phone number, serial number,
> and we'll get that set up for y'all.
>

The response was only a few hours later

profile_mask_2x.png

[email protected]
Nov 27, 2018, 5:37 PM

to me

AAC Support
Service Ticket Response
H04pZYufbWcC4gz0sCWigyOxG4kNWlH1UlhEcirVjaDAxqHcw9QD_uisfB4aA9e_tYLSIVljs6KF5ByWixwF3gn1=s0-d-e1-ft

Dear Allen Bunn,
Your service request has been successfully created. 889630
Please open the attached PDF file and follow the instructions for your Service Request. Please include a copy of the first page of the PDF in the shipment as well as a copy of your Form 4. Please note, you will receive a separate email from FedEx with instructions to obtain your prepaid return shipping label. Please follow the instructions provided in the email. Once you are ready to ship your silencer, Print your prepaid label and attach it to your package and take it to your nearest FedEx location.
Please Note: It is illegal to ship a handgun or silencer through the USPS.

THEY SENT ME A FED X LABLE TWO DAY EXPRESS

I THEN ASKED FOR AN UPDATE ON MY SUPPRESSOR AFTER THE HOLIDAYS ON 22 Jan, they replied it was going on the bench for repair on the 23 Jan 2019. On 30 January they shipped my suppressor back.

I looked at it today brand new baffles, endcap and paint job.

So I ow AAC an apology, times have changed.

Mid 2018 about September I contacted Remington cs and complained about my cs experience
With AAC and my dammaged 223 can, m-4 1000.
Remington cs said they intended to salvage thier newly accuired company and straiten it out.
Due to a shipping snafu my can came back in a week unserviced, rem cs made me a shipping label for the wrong repair facility.

Another phone call got that sorted out and a new shipping label came.
My can came back in 10 days from AAC.

The repaired can was refurbished and looked brand new, preformed as new
And I have shot the hell out of it since and been happy as hell with it.
The 2, 30 cal and 45 cal AAC I own have never missed a lick.

My shity post of AAC at the time was not without warrant but times change
And they have made good.

Please accept this apology.

I have quoted my original harsh post.

No it's like having a problem with a product you spent a lot of cash on and a long time to get,
From a company that won't sevice it because they suck.
And then trying to badger people into signing off on thier shit.
Cant imagine any body buying new from them ever again!
My 223 m1000 shelled out because the mount on the can crapped out!

I have 308, 223, and 45 cans from aac, you can bet they will be the last from those crooks.
When did it become accepted to tell customers F U we dont service our shit!

Edit: my 223 carbine shoots better groups with the can on.

Last edited:
I had issues with Remington CS on a faulty product as well. They basically told me to pound sand, it's out of warranty. I contacted AAC and asked about the issue that was recently discovered ( wrong twist rate on a .300BO rifle barrel) and they promptly got back to me and sent a mailing label. I shipped the gun back to them and had it back in about 2 weeks with a proper barrel on it. No charge. While it's not a suppressor, I applaud them for taking the time to correct the problem. They could have just as easily told me to pound sand too.

First i want to say that this forum is the best. Because of what i've learned and the folks involved.
I also had a Baffle and End Cap Strike. I thought it's my fault and won't be covered under Warrenty. After reading this post, i decided to send them an email. So first thing this morning i sent an email to AAC with my problem. Bottom line: i shipped out my suppressor (7.62 SDN-6) out to them this afternoon (i live in the same city - Huntsville, AL). Within hours after i sent them the email, they responded immediately. will let you know what the turn around will be. Clock has started.

Reactions: deersniper
UPDATE: Sent my suppressor to AAC and received an email that it was being evaluated (1 May 2019). They received the suppressor on 25 March 2019. Just received an email that it has been repaired and being shipped out today (also provided tracking information). I was not expecting the repair done so quickly and no charge.

Good to hear, last year they did me solid on mine as well.