• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AAC-SD break in period???

TB2Blazer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2010
Cleveland, GA
I have put about 200-250 rounds through my new AAC-SD and I still can't get it to group any better than 1.5-2" at 100 yards. How many rounds does it take to break them in? I have tried running a hand load I worked up but it did not do any better. I have a B&C stock, brake, bushnell 3200 elite. I'm shooting off sand bags front and rear. I shot my brothers 7mag yesterday and could clover leaf 5 shots at 100 yards easy so I know it's not me. As it is my ruger 10/22 with a target barrel shoots better than my AAC-SD.

Re: AAC-SD break in period???

what ammo have you been shooting

what was your load you made, bullet? powder?

eta: what scope?

I wouldn't expect much better than that from a factory AAC-SD. Among other things, the cheap plastic stock doesn't free float the barrel. Check out these videos from a fellow hide member to get an idea how well the rifle should perform and how to improve it.

—Andreas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Time to check the base, rings and scope. </div></div>

um......+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andreas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't expect much better than that from a factory AAC-SD. Among other things, the cheap plastic stock doesn't free float the barrel. Check out these videos from a fellow hide member to get an idea how well the rifle should perform and how to improve it.

—Andreas </div></div>

if hes not getting less than MOA something is wrong. Doubt its the stock as he has a bell carlson

I was using 168 federal match ammo (factory). Then I loaded up 43 grains of varget, federal match 210 primers, federal brass, 175g Sierra Matchking BTHP COAL 2.800. When I mounted the scope I did not have a torque wrench so I just tightened them then put loc-tite on them. I also did not torque when I installed the new stock. Would these have anything to do with it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was using 168 federal match ammo (factory). Then I loaded up 43 grains of varget, federal match 210 primers, federal brass, 175g Sierra Matchking BTHP COAL 2.800. When I mounted the scope I did not have a torque wrench so I just tightened them then put loc-tite on them. I also did not torque when I installed the new stock. Would these have anything to do with it? </div></div>

43 grains seems a little low with varget

hodgon lists a max load of 45 grains varget with 175 smk's

how did you find that load?

perhaps try a ladder test

Something's not right. My AAC-SD w/ B&C stock shot MOA the first 5 rounds through it with 168 FGMM. Now with 300 rounds through mine shooting handloads im consistently 1/2-3/4 MOA. I would check scope mounts and rings. Also i'm running 65 in/lbs torque on my action screws. I've seen quite a difference in performance just becasue of different torqu values on the action screws. So I would definately go get a wheeler torque wrench and tighten that action to 55-65 in/lbs and see what she does.

I had a similar experience with my new 5R and played around with the COL. I settled on 2.815 and was able to get all the rounds to touch at 100 yds.

And I second trying the ladder test.

Good luck,

Guns

Load data from lyman 49th edition. Already did a ladder test at 500 yards from what I could see my best loads were 43, 43.3, 44 but that's with it shooting like crap so my data could be way off. Guess I'm gonna have to get a torque wrench and start all over again. What should I torque bases and rings to?

Here is a ladder test i did just today to try and figure out what the heck is going on. I was shooting prone from 500 yards. I tried shooting in 4 shot groups of 42, 43, 44, and 45 grains of varget, 175 SMK, 2.90 COAL, Federal 210 primer. The shot group from 42 grains was off paper but grouped on the backboard identical to group 43.
target1.jpg

My aac shot .32" @ 100 yds right out of the box. Fired 2 rounds getting it on paper, then shot that group. Only modification was using a dremel tool to sand down hogue so it wouldnt contact the barrel. Load was 178 amax over 44.5 gr varget seated @ 2.815. Guess I got lucky

Yeah I don't know what's wrong with this thing. I took the stock off today before I shot to look it all over everything looks good. The only thing left is to take the scope, rings, and base off tomorrow and remount everything. I'm going to take the brake off to and see if that makes a difference. Hopefully it's the mounts. If not I'm going to trade it in on a savage cause I'm sick of dealing with it.

If your scope is good, and mounted tight, your rifle is fucked.

You should:

1. Cross your fingers
2. Contact Remington

Or...

Trade it in - but don't sell it HERE!

Good luck, and I'm sorry to hear it.

I was afraid of that. Just looking at it and moving it everything looks and feels solid but I know there could still be issues. I have already contacted Remington about it and am waiting for their reply. I'm not too worried about it I had an issue with something before and Remington's customer service was outstanding! They were helpful, and patient, and helped me solve my problem as quickly as possible. I'm going to reset my optics and mounts and wait to hear back from Remington. I really hope it's just the mounts cause I really like this rifle.

If possible, put a different, known good scope on it.

Glad to hear you've had good success with Remington's CS. A friends VTR (the triangle barrel one) shot like ass, and after shipping it to Rem twice with no improvement, he rebarreled it with an Obermeyer. Problem solved.

Contact remington.. Maybe try it with some factory GMM or Hornady Match.. Hopefully you just didn't mount the optics well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .308Shadow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Contact remington.. Maybe try it with some factory GMM or Hornady Match.. Hopefully you just didn't mount the optics well. </div></div>

Thank you for this valuable post.

I have my fingers crossed. The gun has not shot right since the day I got it brand new. I have had a brand new gun for the last few months and have spent so much time being frustrated trying to get it to shoot right I can't even enjoy it. I really appreciate everyone's help on this. Would the muzzle break have anything to do with it? I'm probably going to take it off as well and see if that does anything too.

*Fingers crossed* I just got in my Remington 700/AICS 1.5 today. I'm considering mounting the optics myself with some mini levels and a torque wrench.

@OP: Did you mount your own optics? How much time/effort did it take?

I did mount them myself with 2 small levels and some loc-tite. It took me about an hour because I'm pretty meticulous and wanted it to be perfect.

Torque sequence of the barreled action in the stock is important: be sure to pull the action towards the rear of the stock before tightening the screws to make sure the recoil lug is against the slot in the stock, then alternating between front and rear fasteners torque them down: favoring hitting the torque spec on the front fastener first. After your first few rounds, check the torque on the fasteners again, starting with the front fastener first.

Same OCD treatment of the other fasteners for the scope base and rings. Loctite blue the base fasteners down, a little bit of red between the base and action. Torque down the rings onto the scope in steps and use a criss cross sequence.

That should be about it for all of the mechanical fasteners on the rifle.

My AAC-SD is plenty good with 175 FGMM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andreas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't expect much better than that from a factory AAC-SD. Among other things, the cheap plastic stock doesn't free float the barrel. Check out these videos from a fellow hide member to get an idea how well the rifle should perform and how to improve it.

—Andreas </div></div>

He said he has it in a B&C Stock. And even in stock configuration with an Elite 3200 3-9x50 with FGMM 168's i was putting 5 rounds in a 1" square if i did my part and didn't rest the rifle on the front of the stock.....hope you didn't get a lemon =/

But i agree, check your bases and mounts first.

I am having the exact same problem with my AAC-SD. It's all over the place. I replaced the Hogue stock with a HS Precision without even trying it, so I can't compare the two. I've had the IBA one piece scope mount off and action apart twice on my own and sent it to a local smith to have a go at it and install larger mount screws. Had it at the range the other day and still no better. My next step is to have a buddy shoot it( former Army Sniper)and me shoot his, and compare. I'll let you know if I get a handle on the problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a ladder test i did just today to try and figure out what the heck is going on. I was shooting prone from 500 yards. I tried shooting in 4 shot groups of 42, 43, 44, and 45 grains of varget, 175 SMK, 2.90 COAL, Federal 210 primer. The shot group from 42 grains was off paper but grouped on the backboard identical to group 43.
target1.jpg
</div></div>

That looks like a 4 inch group at 500 yards with 45 grains. If that is right where is the problem? Load up some 45 grain rounds and try again at 100. My AAC is doing. 6-.7 moa with 178s and 45g of Varget.

You could have got a bad one, it happens. Like other guys have said make sure everything is tourqued properly and try some good factory match ammo after that and if that doesn't do it you should call remington. Good luck!

Along with the scope, rings and base that others have suggested, I would also check the internal box magazine also to be sure it wasn't binding on anything.

IMO the muzzle brake could potentially cause problems under the right circumstances. My groups started opening up with my AAC-SD last year. I finally noticed the thread protector had worked loose and tightened it up. Subsequent groups tightened back up also.

Check the torque on you action screws, has the crown been nicked? Out of the box that is a sub moa rifle (i have one too, and it is in fact sub moa).

I think I got it shooting right. The action was not torqued correctly. It will shoot 3/4 moa at 100 yrds now no problem. I'm going to try it out at 500 hopefully tomorrow. Im sure with a better trigger and better shooter it could do better than that. I still have the crappy xmark in there and the pull is pretty heavy. I can get 3/4 moa with 175g smk with 43g varget and br2 primers. So far that is the best I can get with the 175's. I loaded up some 168 AMAX and my gun seems to really like those so I'm going to continue load development on those. I'm going to play with the xmark and try and adjust it down a bit as well see if that helps any.

SDP, let me know how you make out. The first trip to the range after I had mine torqued, lock tighted, etc. it shot pretty well and I was happy with the rifle for the first time. The second trip it was all over the place again. I think bedding and new bottom metal may be my next option. If that doesn't work, it may end up on my roof as a weathervane!Hope this works for you, I feel your pain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I got it shooting right. The action was not torqued correctly. It will shoot 3/4 moa at 100 yrds now no problem. I'm going to try it out at 500 hopefully tomorrow. Im sure with a better trigger and better shooter it could do better than that. I still have the crappy xmark in there and the pull is pretty heavy. I can get 3/4 moa with 175g smk with 43g varget and br2 primers. So far that is the best I can get with the 175's. I loaded up some 168 AMAX and my gun seems to really like those so I'm going to continue load development on those. I'm going to play with the xmark and try and adjust it down a bit as well see if that helps any. </div></div>

Good to hear!

Get trigger springs from erniethegunsmith.com. They are cheap and really help lighten the pull on the x mark.