• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors AAC tiRANT .45 vs .45S?

GT40MkI

Texas
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2011
West of DFW, Texas
The AAC Ti-Rant .45:

Weight: 11.5 oz
Length: 8.74 "
Diameter: 1.38"
Sound Reduction: 30-41dB
Mount: thread
MSRP: $850

The AAC Ti-Rant .45s:

Weight: 7.69.2 oz
Length: 6.42"
Sound Reduction: 35-38db
Mount: thread
MSRP: $850

Sure giving up 3db can be significant - but dropping over 2" on a handgun can that will be used on 9mm and .40 just as often (if not more so) than .45 seems worth it. Any thoughts, experience, real world test data?

Re: AAC tiRANT .45 vs .45S?

Both... I have a Osprey and a AWC Ti .45 can pending need both!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GT40MkI</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But if I "need" to pick one for now...acting sensibly and everything....thoughts? </div></div>

The TiRant 45 will be significantly quieter. They are marketing the 45s and 9s as very compact cans that sacrifice sound performance for better size and weight. Apparently they sound ok wet, but dry the full length models blow them out of the water.

It really comes down to what you want. If you are going for something lightweight and compact and suppression is secondary then go with the S. If you want the best suppression possible go with the full length.

Go with the standard length suppressor. What can you gain by having a shorter can on a handgun?
To me having the can on the gun no matter what size is inconvenient since you can't holster it till the can is removed. You might as well go for the better sound reduction. I have read that sound is twice as loud for every 3db.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sudnrush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with the standard length suppressor. What can you gain by having a shorter can on a handgun?
To me having the can on the gun no matter what size is inconvenient since you can't holster it till the can is removed. You might as well go for the better sound reduction. I have read that sound is twice as loud for every 3db. </div></div>

You read incorrectly. For every 3db the sound is increased slightly, but the energy used to increase that sound is doubled. Everyone pretty much can hear a 3db gain. Many hear a 1.5 db gain. Some can hear 1 db gain. The power necessary to increase the sound by 3 db is doubled. The sound itself is increased very little. Read up on electronics and physics.

I have a Ti45 pending now and it's crazy how light it is. The 2" wouldn't be worth it, but if that's all your dealer has in stock go with it. I had to wait a month or so for mine to come before I could even start the paperwork.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spackle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sudnrush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with the standard length suppressor. What can you gain by having a shorter can on a handgun?
To me having the can on the gun no matter what size is inconvenient since you can't holster it till the can is removed. You might as well go for the better sound reduction. I have read that sound is twice as loud for every 3db. </div></div>

You read incorrectly. For every 3db the sound is increased slightly, but the energy used to increase that sound is doubled. Everyone pretty much can hear a 3db gain. Many hear a 1.5 db gain. Some can hear 1 db gain. The power necessary to increase the sound by 3 db is doubled. The sound itself is increased very little. Read up on electronics and physics.</div></div>

or you can read a recent work and get it right...

Is 10 dB or 6 dB sound level change for a doubling or halving of the loudness (volume) correct?

About the connection between sound level and loudness, there are various theories. Widely accepted is still the theory of psycho-acoustic pioneer Stanley Smith Stevens, indicating that the doubling or halving of the sensation of loudness corresponds to a level difference of 10 dB. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Recent research</span></span> by Richard M. Warren, on the other hand leads to a level difference of only 6 dB. *) This means that a double sound pressure corresponds to a double loudness. The psychologist John G. Neuhoff found that our hearing is more sensitive to rising levels of sound as to falling levels. That is for the same sound level difference the change of loudness from quiet to loud is stronger than from loud to quiet. It is suggested that the sone scale of loudness reflects the influence of known experimental biases and hence does not represent a fundamental relation between stimulus and sensation.

You will hear 3 dB as <span style="font-weight: bold">significantly</span> louder, at least 50% louder ( or HALF again as loud) and some research suggests more.

Neither are hearing safe no matter what anyone tells you. If its over 88 dB wear protection, there are a good number of people having their high end frequencies torn to shreds by confused science and quackery. A .45 auto (ball ammo) is approx 154, now subtract from that the dubious number of your choice, lets say your left with the full monty 123 dB number (wet, cool can). SO what else is 123 dB? Er, well, a chainsaw is 115, or Sandblasting is approx. 118, Threshold of pain? 125. Riveter? 126. Time allowed under OSHA per 24 hours at 125? seconds. Run that can dry and your at 133 (at friggin' least!) and where are you..what? speak up.

From the AAC website for the 45S. Notice only 18 db reduction dry.

Ti-Rant 45S
Caliber: .45ACP
Weight: 9.2oz
Length: 6.42"
Finish: Gun-Kote™, T3 HC & SCARmor™
Sound
Reduction: 18dB Dry, 28.5dB Wet
Mount: Thread
Materials: Grade 9 Ti, 17-4PH, 7075-T6
MSRP: $ 795

http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=861

I went with the Ti-Rant 45.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Neither are hearing safe no matter what anyone tells you. If its over 88 dB wear protection, there are a good number of people having their high end frequencies torn to shreds by confused science and quackery. A .45 auto (ball ammo) is approx 154, now subtract from that the dubious number of your choice, lets say your left with the full monty 123 dB number (wet, cool can). SO what else is 123 dB? Er, well, a chainsaw is 115, or Sandblasting is approx. 118, Threshold of pain? 125. Riveter? 126. Time allowed under OSHA per 24 hours at 125? seconds.

</div></div>

I haven't sound metered a chainsaw, but it sounds loud as hell compared to a 123DB suppressed .45.

While I get your point, I think 132 is a more reasonable threshold at which to become concerned about exposure to suppressed firearm noise.

At 130 OSHA would give you 112.5 seconds of daily exposure approximately and 28 seconds at 139.5DB. I think these are actually pretty generous- probably longer than they should be (especially nearer to 140DB).

If you look at the peak of a suppressed firearm, it occurs in microseconds (hundredths of a second) with sound intensity dropping ~10-15DB from the peak within .2 seconds so the OSHA exposure limit for seconds at that 130DB peak could take 500 rounds in one day to reach.

Griff,

I don't know if you had a chance to read the piece I posted about a month ago, but exposure is made much worse by "impact" noise. Current thought is that the ear can and will actually relax complex middle ear structures when confronted with sustained dB stress. Those same structures cannot adjust for quick impact, odd patterns, etc. If its over 90 dB, plug up.

P.S., I calc about 16 seconds for 130 at impact per 24 hours.