• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AAR CR2 LOW LIGHT PRECISION March 4-5, 2022

RG0099

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
Mar 27, 2019
NOVA
Long overdue AAR for CR2 Low Light Precision

March 4-5, 2022

Instructors: Chris Roberts, Chris Rance, Rueben Keenan

My equipment used: AI AXMC 20” .308, S&B PMII in an ARC M-brace and LRF mount, DBAL laser

Equipment used supplied by CR2: PVS-30. A Kestrel, and DBAL was available if needed

Previous night shooting experience-NONE!

DAY 1

Started at about 1400 with a meet and greet, and then headed to Arena’s UKD range while still daylight to check zero’s, did some shooting drills, then shot various targets at various ranges to collect some dope for later.

From there we went to the classroom for a very informative night vision lecture covering just about everything you could expect when going back to the range to shoot at night, and things that you can do to help you shot at night. We had 5% illumination for both nights, so even with night vision it was going to be dark. CR2 then supplied those of us that needed PVS-30’s or DBAL’s with those units. I apologize that I can’t remember his name, a rep from Knights discussed these units and the proper way to use them. We then clamped these units on and had them checked, got a shooting buddy, and proceeded back out to the UKD range.

We started at the 100-yard line to check for any zero shift and shot some drills to get familiar with what to expect. Then up to the OKD shooting line. With your shooting buddy, we were worked on communication skills, spotting and helping illuminate and identify the target for the shooter using different methods and shooting targets out to about 850 yards. It was a pretty fucking awesome experience hearing a hit on a target you see without night vision.

DAY 2

We met and headed back out to the UKD range. We learned about danger space which I think is also referred to as point blank, and another scope turret “magic number” option that I can’t remember the name. I do know my number was 1.7 though, LOL. We discussed techniques that you could use these different options on as well as when and why you might choose to do so. We then went over some position shooting techniques, and proper ways to deploy and use the positions you are faced with.

From there back on the gun, and we shot various targets on the UKD using what we had just learned, and the “danger space” option was my preferred method.

Back to the classroom we were lectured on spotting techniques and how to use them, and what situations to use them in. After that we talked about thermals. Then they unboxed them.

We were able to mount the thermals on our guns, and Chris and Ruben went out in the field, and we watched them. It was amazing how a thermal works, and how a thermal sometimes doesn’t work. Again, never having looked through a thermal I was amazed.

After that we clamped on our night vision set up from the night before, and they had set up a locate, range is possible, engage, and shoot drill for us while on a tripod. With your shooting buddy there were 4 targets that must be found by either person, communicated to the only, and shot by both team members. I learned my preferred method of ‘danger space” ranging doesn’t always work when you don’t take all the possible target options into consideration. We shot the drill again with a different twist and it all went better

We then headed to the UKD range for some positional shooting drills at various targets and distances where the use of the “danger space” ranging method really paid off getting hits on targets given an estimated range.

Our night ended with a movement and engage drill on multiple targets off of various props from different positions.

My overall take on the class was WOW! It exceeded any expectations that I had. Having no night vision or thermal experience I was amazed at what is possible when the lights go out. The instruction and expertise shown by Chris, Chris, and Rueben was very through and professional, and fun when it needed to be. Shooting night vision for the first time in less then ideal illumination and having success doing so was pretty cool. Leaving the class, I learned more then I could have thought possible, but I know I just started down the expensive rabbit hole

Arena Training facility is like another county. The place is huge. It seemed like we drove for 15 minutes to get from one area to the next. They offered on site lodging that was very comfortable, even though it didn’t seem like it was more then a pit stop since we shot through most of the night

If I were asked to give any advice on what to bring or do prior to the class, I would say this:

-An AXMC with night vision gets heavy at the end of the night. You do a lot of moving, so consider your equipment

-You are given a lot of time to free shoot during some drills, so bring extra ammo

-Don’t drive all night to just get there at the start of day 1. It makes the end of day 2 tough

-Most important come with an open mind. They have a lot to teach you

In closing, Chris, Chris, and Rueben, THANK YOU! What you teach, and how you teach it is very reassuring. I can’t wait to take low light 2

Sincerely,

Robbie Guenther