• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses AAR - Info- Alaska Precision Rifle Course

JT505

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2006
FL & KY
Received many PM's with questions concerning the AKPRC Courses. Here's a brief AAR with specifics.

If you're looking for some of the finest precision rifle instruction taught by USMC Scout Snipers, and you want the training to be focused, one-on-one with real time evaluations - and you want to visit and see Alaska before or after your training - then contact Marc and Frank and book your slot in the 2019 Alaska Precision Rifle classes - while there are still slots available.

This is the only training course I know of where the students and instructors stay together as a group through training.
It's the only training course where you can be in Anchorage one day, then shooting for two, three or four days with Marc and Frank at 1000 yards near Willow/Susitna - and then spend the week in Talkeetna or at Denali National Park. Definitely a training destination and worth the trip.

Where we stay. Sheep Creek Lodge - http://www.sheepcreeklodgeak.com/
Take a look at their website. Eight cabins with several bedding configurations. Neat, clean and secure. Bathrooms and showers are located in the lodge building which is a short walk from each cabin. Breakfast each morning at 0745. Then convoy to the range by 0900. Lunch is catered by the lodge and delivered to the range each day. When training is complete for the day we drive back to the lodge for dinner. Full bar, full dinner menu and live entertainment.

The range. Susitna Shooters Range - 1000 yards. https://susitnashooters.org/
The range is just six miles north of the lodge. The range is closed to the public during classes.

Every time I attend the class I learn something. What did I learn during this class?
- During the first five round group at 100 yards evaluation, Frank noticed I had a grip issue, the way I was gripping the McM A5 stock. He corrected me. I had no idea I was gripping the stock with my thumb,,,,
- During the second five rounds at 100 yard evaluation I shot a good group, but once again I had issues with my magazines. Always on the last round.
- During the third five rounds at 100 yard evaluation I couldn't group. I had three rounds spread out 2 MOA around the target dot. Something was wrong.
Frank took his suppressor off his rifle, I mounted it up on my rifle and shot five rounds at 100 yards. Put four rounds in damn near one hole with a single round touching.
Lesson learned? 15 year old suppressor needs to be changed - good thing I have a SF Genesis on the way.
- Another realization this class was that I needed a different butt pad on the McM A5. The butt pad on the stock is rock hard, too thin and as old as the suppressor. I'm working on a new butt pad this week when I have time.
- What else? During the last one-on-one evaluation Marc was on the left of me, Frank on the right - and after I shot the first round (I think it was at 600 yards) all I heard was "stop holding your breath!!". Really? No way. Yep! I was not pausing on the exhale, I was stopping, holding my breath and then sending the round. Had no clue I was doing this.

My point?
Attend a class. Get the one-on-one evaluations with two Snipers watching everything you do. You learn and make changes - and become a better shooter.
It's all about the Fundamentals of Marksmanship. This class is all about the fundamentals. Excellent Instruction.

My Background (Never been a Sniper or a LEO)
I went through PR 1 & 2 at Rifles Only in 2006. My rifle had issues so Frank gave me his AIAW to shoot for the entire class.
I put over 800 rounds of 175gr through it that week. Here's another picture from this past week - shooting Frank's AIAX at the PR 1 class here in Alaska.
I've attached pictures of the drive from Anchorage toward Palmer, Wasilla and Willow. Pics of the lodge - and driving from the lodge to the range with Denali in the distance.

Thanks,

Jim

AKPRC Dest a (1).jpg
AKPRC Dest a (2).jpg
AKPRC Dest a (3).jpg
AKPRC Dest b (1).jpg
AKPRC Dest b (2).jpg
AKPRC Dest b (3).jpg
AKPRC Dest c.jpg
AKPRC Dest d.jpg
e.JPG
f.JPG

Last edited:
I already have 82 names out of the 150 or so we will teach next year. By December, all Courses may be closed and full.
GREAT review, JTB. Thanks.

— Taylor