• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AAR: U.S. Training Center Precision Rifle 1

sudnit5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
FL
<span style="font-weight: bold">U.S. Training Center Precision Rifle 1
November 22-24, 2010
Moyock, NC</span>

Before I begin with the course I just want to comment on the facility. This is the first time I have been there and I was in awe the whole time. The facility was massive with great accommodations to include lodging and a mess hall. I could have spent the whole three days just exploring the facility. I did not stay on site (wives wanted to stay on the beach), but several people in the class did and they had nothing but good to say about the accommodations.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Day One</span>

We started in the classroom and had the meet and greet with the instructors. Our main instructor was Tom (aka tomalibrando on some boards). We started from the bare basics going over the safety rules, different parts of the rifle, setting up the scope and rifle and different equipment. We then broke out the rifles and began fitting them to each shooter to include eye relief, cheek and butt adjustment.

We then got into the basics of marksmanship fundamentals, units of measurement, recording data, checking/torquing weapon, cleaning weapon, and the pre-fire checklist.

After lunch we went out to range 19 (1,200 yard range) to do some shooting. We started off by zeroing the weapons at 100 yards and talked about cold bore shots and grouping. We then moved out to 200 and 300 yards gathering dope for each.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Day Two</span>

We started day two back in the classroom to go over wind, reading mirage, hold-off adjustment, units of measurement, spotting and watching trace.

We then made it out to the range and started with a wind demonstration. They set off some smoke bombs to show the wind characteristics at different points on the range and the effect the terrain has on wind. The wind was about 10-15mph that day so we had some great practical training.

We started at 400 yards and worked our way back to 900 yards stopping every 100 yards. We were shooting on steel plates and were using a spotter to watch trace and give adjustment feedback to the shooter. We all learned a lot back at that distance with the effects of wind, spin drift and ammunition differences.

While back at 800 yards, momma bear and her two cubs decided to take a stroll on the range. A little while later a group of turkey decided to also take a stroll on the range. That was pretty brave of them given Thanksgiving was only two days away.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Day Three</span>

We again started the day briefly in the classroom to go over positional shooting. We then headed back out to the range.

We shot freehand, equipment/buddy supported and slung while standing, kneeling and sitting at 100, 200 and 300 yards.

In the afternoon we had a friendly competition where we put the skills we learned about hold-off to the test.

I was pared up with my father who took the class with me. We ended up winning the competition and my Dad was the only shooter to clean house with one shot hits on all targets. I of course threw a shot or two make him look good
wink.gif
. Go team Gators!

We then had a sit down discussion going over equipment and anything else we had questions on. We took some group photos, passed out the class certificates and headed on our way.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Conclusion</span>

Overall I was super impressed with the training, instructors and U.S. Training Center facilities. I could not have asked for any more from my experience, except to stay longer. I highly recommend USTC to anyone and everyone. You will not be disappointed. I look forward to the next class. Thanks to all the instructors and USTC for a great time.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Photos</span>

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

800yardlinecheckingcrosswindwithsmoke1.jpg

pictures011.jpg

pictures026.jpg

pictures027.jpg

pictures037.jpg

pictures038.jpg

pictures034.jpg

Re: AAR: U.S. Training Center Precision Rifle 1

Been wanting to take that course myself and will probably leap on the next offering after the new year. I badly need a vacation.

You should definitely do it. To a fellow Floridian, the only bad thing is the drive from Florida sucked! Other than that it was a great time.

Yeah congrats again to Team Gators, from Team I Dont Give A Damn. Your dad is a wicked good shot!!!! As I recall, he had a faster time than you did. LOL, I guess ya gotta let the old guys win sometimes. I had a great time too. I can second the comments of Sudnit. That was the best money I ever spent. Everything was great the entire time I was there, except for one thing, it was too short. I honestly didnt want to leave. Tom, Chris, and Mark were awesome instructors. I didnt expect it to be nearly as good as it actually was. I can guarantee that I will be going back again. The experience was beyond belief, and the instruction was even better. Well are ya gonna take PR2?
Keep in touch,
Tim

Tom is one hell of an instructor and a nice guy to boot. I had the great opportunity of being around him for a few months and couldn't think of a negative thing to say.

Looks awesome, hope something like this is available in the midwest somewhere.
smile.gif

I'd be a little apprehensive shooting on someone's shoulder..

Was glad to see this post, as I can't wait to take one of their courses. Have any of you guys attended any other US Training courses?

That was the first class I took there, but it is guaranteed that I am going back. It is a great facility.