• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AB app on Phone not matching Kestrel 5700 AB

waveslayer

Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 6, 2012
    CA
    I am hoping this is a simple answer and someone has a quick reason why I am have some issues.

I purchased the Kestrel 5700 AB. When I pull up AB on my phone (android) ,I use the same info for, let's say my 6.5 SAUM profile, and input all the same data into the Kestrel. Once I have my gun profile I then use the current data from the Kestrel, link it to my app via the Bluetooth.

So all the gun data is the same, the ammo info is all the same and the environmentals are all the same, but I get two different answers...

Why is that?

Can you define the magnitude between the two outputs? Are they .1 mils different? 2 mils different? .25 MOA off?

Apps on phones depending on hardware platform may handle rounding floating point numbers differently as well as how the software development platform (android vs Apple)

AB apps on phones round to nearest 10th mil (one decimal place) while the Kestrel rounds to the nearest 100th of a mil (two decimal places)

AB apps on phones have Latitude and Azimuth turned off by default while the Kestrel has Latitude set at 40 from the factory

The Kestrel auto calculates AJ while the Android version (at least older versions) doesn’t. ( I don’t know if the current Android version does or not)

Those are some general possibilities but without specifics it’s difficult to pinpoint it exactly.

Can you define the magnitude between the two outputs? Are they .1 mils different? 2 mils different? .25 MOA off?

Apps on phones depending on hardware platform may handle rounding floating point numbers differently as well as how the software development platform (android vs Apple)

AB apps on phones round to nearest 10th mil (one decimal place) while the Kestrel rounds to the nearest 100th of a mil (two decimal places)

AB apps on phones have Latitude and Azimuth turned off by default while the Kestrel has Latitude set at 40 from the factory

The Kestrel auto calculates AJ while the Android version (at least older versions) doesn’t. ( I don’t know if the current Android version does or not)

Those are some general possibilities but without specifics it’s difficult to pinpoint it exactly.

Yes, I was getting about 2.5 MOA difference between the two. I'm running a muzzleloader so at 600 yards Keatrel said to dial 35.5 MOA and my phone said 32.25 MOA.

Actual was 33 MOA.

I had the Azimuth turned on with my phone app and was populating all the info from the Kestrel

The current version of the AB Android App does calculate AJ. Also it accounts for head and tail wind in the calculation. So the wind values are important.

The solvers should not be that far apart. Is it possible it has to do with the pressure units selected? The 5700 Elite Enviro screen pressure is "SP" or Station Pressure. If you take this number off the Kestrel, you need to make sure the settings in the App are also set to "Aboslute" or "Station Pressure". Not barometric.

What is the preferred setting for pressure ? SP , Absolute, or Barometeic?

Let's just say they are set different, wouldn't the app match the Kestrel if the very same Kestrel is feeding the app the same environmental measurements?
    Just my way of thinking