• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ab Workouts

_Shay_

thing 2
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2009
USA
What do you guys do? I'm trying to find the most effective ab workouts. I've done crunches, situps, ab-core, and those type of things, but they just arent as effective as I'd like them to be.

Thanks

Re: Ab Workouts

Well it depends on what it is your looking for?

If you want the pretty six pack like on the cover of mens fitness then it doesn't matter what exercise your do you have to get the body fat percentage down enough to bring them out.

If your looking for just a rock hard gut to keep the core strong then situp on a decline bench are good as well as cable crunches. But the muscle fiber that the abdomonals are made up of respond well to high repititons so try working your abs all day!!
Anytime your standing or sitting still just lean over a little and contract them and hold for a 3-4 count and relax , you can do these sitting in traffic , at the office standing in line a the market.
Another good ab exercise that nearly nobody does anymore is called a vaccuum pose , try to suck your gut in as far as possible trying to make your belly button touch your backbone. Its a bitch to do but once you get the hang of it it is a very effective exercise and will prevent your belly from poking out as your build the abs with other exercise

Squats, Deadlifts, Pullups, and roll-outs. Crossfit people love the feet to bar while hanging. Your abs really aren't made to do crunches all day, they're made to stabilize the spine with an isometric contraction and only crunch every now and then. I'm not saying not to do crunches, but people over due them. Your better off getting strong in the above mentioned movements and only spending a small amount of time doing crunches

Yoga... and ballet...

Or you can do 8 minute abs a few times a week, doing a variety of exercises in all positions will work different muscle groups. Doing this in a way that works them all at different times will be the most effective workout.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWjTnBmCHTY

Find some different abdominal/core exercises and try them out. Leg lifts, flutter kicks, hello dollies, v-ups.... look them up and get used to doing some high reps of those. Work on form and correct muscle usage. Do isometrics at the ends of sets. Explode on the contraction of the muscle and ease slowly when relaxing the muscle group.

Hope that helps.

if you want effective....join a boxing club. you'll learn a lot and get extremely fit, the workouts are extreme

I'll do sidebends with 30 or 40lb dumbbells, then Jack knife with large excersise ball. Also, pick pockets and medicine ball oblique twists...then finish with hanging knee raises....

I'm just looking for core strength.

"Squats, Deadlifts, Pullups, and roll-outs. Crossfit people love the feet to bar while hanging. Your abs really aren't made to do crunches all day, they're made to stabilize the spine with an isometric contraction and only crunch every now and then. I'm not saying not to do crunches, but people over due them. Your better off getting strong in the above mentioned movements and only spending a small amount of time doing crunches"

Sounds good.

Squats and deadlifts have made my gut into something I'm proud of.

If you want the aesthetics of abs that's easy you just have to eat with an insanely disciplined clean diet and get around 10% Bfat.
laugh.gif

There are a lot of drugs out there that will claim you can take them and get there but the only ones of those that might even work well are primarily still in trial phases so unless you plan on making your body into a science experiment probably not a great idea. I guess that just depends on how advanced of a personal knowledge you have in biochemistry. Some of them might even be dangerous(peptide frags and shit).

When myostatin blockers become affordable we'll all be walking around chiseled like greek gods. Man am I gonna feel stupid for wasting all this time in the gym.

The kettlebell workouts have done more to build my core than anything else I have ever done. I do use the side plank and twisting planks as the only real "ab" exercises I do, all the other work they get is just a matter of following proper form on all of my other lifts.

To see abs you need to get under 12% body fat for most people, to look really ripped you need to get down to 8%ish...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm just looking for core strength.

"Squats, Deadlifts, Pullups, and roll-outs. Crossfit people love the feet to bar while hanging. Your abs really aren't made to do crunches all day, they're made to stabilize the spine with an isometric contraction and only crunch every now and then. I'm not saying not to do crunches, but people over due them. Your better off getting strong in the above mentioned movements and only spending a small amount of time doing crunches"

Sounds good. </div></div>
Years back when I was in top notch shape, I hurt my lower back bad enough to not be able to put my boots on in the mornings. A friends of mine is a PT, he asked me if I did a lot of sit ups and crunches and I said yes. He then asked me if I did any back exercises, like supermans. I said no. He proceeded to explain to me that tightening my abs was streching my "tenderloins". Which are there to keep my back straight. After recovering I cut my crunches in half and did equal amounts of supermans. Just thought I would pass that info on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm just looking for core strength.

Sounds good. </div></div>

This is the main problem with people going into the gym with the goal of getting aesthetic.

You have to build a good strong core before you should ever consider working on isolated muscles.

Unfortunately most people just buy these magazines, read about Arnold's routine when he was popping Turanabol like candy and had been training for 10 solid years and just emulate it.

Not gonna work.

Years back when I was in top notch shape, I hurt my lower back bad enough to not be able to put my boots on in the mornings. A friends of mine is a PT, he asked me if I did a lot of sit ups and crunches and I said yes. He then asked me if I did any back exercises, like supermans. I said no. He proceeded to explain to me that tightening my abs was streching my "tenderloins". Which are there to keep my back straight. After recovering I cut my crunches in half and did equal amounts of supermans. Just thought I would pass that info on. </div></div>

Squats, Deadlifts, Overhead Press, Pullups/Chinups, and Powercleans are a sure way to build all the important core muscles and insure you do not have inbalance in any muscle proportions. Best way to go for a strong core in my opinion.

My son is a track athlete (middle distance) for a D1 university and those boys do core work 3 times a week. He says they concentrate on doing slow speed, perfect form, low rep exercises. They do all types of ab work such as crunches, bicycle kicks, side situps, etc... Also they focus on push ups and planks which are also key abdominal strengtheners.

Pushups are the closest thing to a full body workout I've found. Try to do some super slow motion push ups and hold occasionaly hold at the mid way point. Killer.

All of the exercises are good and will work your abs. There are exercises to work your internal obliques and transverse abdominous (for stability for higher squat/deadlift) and your 6 pack exercises that work your rectus abdominis (your 6 pack, what pulls your chest to your pelvis).

To get stronger abs in order to increase your core stability on squat and deadlifts, it helps to do specific ab workouts.

My favorites:
-decline situps with 20 pound medicine ball (do 50, I dare you)
-hanging windshield wipers
-underhand pull ups with your legs parellel to the ground

and the most impressive thing I've seen:
3x through without stopping: 1 min front plank, 1 min side plank, 1 min other side plank (I only made it to 6 minutes, the other two guys went to 9 minutes).

If you can do any of these, you've got great core stability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uhcoog1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
3x through without stopping: 1 min front plank, 1 min side plank, 1 min other side plank (I only made it to 6 minutes, the other two guys went to 9 minutes).

If you can do any of these, you've got great core stability.</div></div>
Wow that is refreshing to hear! Im at 90-120seconds for each side and play through The Warriors Song three times before Im finished....I was not sure if I was going long enough. The most I can do is about 3minutes but I have to go on my elbows, I tired extending up onto my hand and both elbows swelled in less than a week.

I didn't read the previous responses, so these may already have been mentioned. I do three:

GHD situps - sit on a roman chair backwards, touch your hands to the floor then to toes. Start slowly!

Knees to elbows - on a chinup bar, touch your knees to your elbows. Repeat.

Toes to bar - also on a chinup bar, touch your toes to the bar. Repeat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta682</div><div class="ubbcode-body">abs are made in the kitchen </div></div>

Agreed. The sexy abs are made in the kitchen not the gym. For functional strength work out abs and back. You dont want an over devolped stomache and underdevoloed lower back. That will throw off core strength and balance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boom2336</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta682</div><div class="ubbcode-body">abs are made in the kitchen </div></div>

Agreed. The sexy abs are made in the kitchen not the gym. For functional strength work out abs and back. You dont want an over devolped stomache and underdevoloed lower back. That will throw off core strength and balance. </div></div>

Hard for either of these to occur when religiously doing squats, deadlifts and OHP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uhcoog1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If you can do any of these, you've got great core stability.</div></div>
Wow that is refreshing to hear! Im at 90-120seconds for each side and play through The Warriors Song three times before Im finished....I was not sure if I was going long enough. The most I can do is about 3minutes but I have to go on my elbows, I tired extending up onto my hand and both elbows swelled in less than a week. </div></div>

That's big time! We always used mats to help keep the pressure down.

My shoulder would tire before my abs, that's for sure!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crazy bay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Watch this entire clip, but pay special attention to 3:54 and 4:42. You cant fight the Russians by doing crunches alone!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZA6mvMXxBQ</div></div>

LOL that's awesome

My coach last year made our class do planks every other day through the entire year at THE END of our daily workouts. By the end of second semester the most determined people could hold each side for 12 minutes each and center for 15. Doesn't build that sexy sixpack quite how they had wanted but we all had great core strength. My friend who does MMA says his favorite ab workout requires hanging upside downs by his legs, tensing up and having a trainer quickly jab his stomach for 20 seconds and pump out 20 "crunches" he called them where you simply pull yourself up using your abs. Sounds killer but i've never tried it.

Definatly try the planks tho if you haven't already

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My coach last year made our class do planks every other day through the entire year at THE END of our daily workouts. By the end of second semester the most determined people could hold each side for 12 minutes each and center for 15. Doesn't build that sexy sixpack quite how they had wanted but we all had great core strength. My friend who does MMA says his favorite ab workout requires hanging upside downs by his legs, tensing up and having a trainer quickly jab his stomach for 20 seconds and pump out 20 "crunches" he called them where you simply pull yourself up using your abs. Sounds killer but i've never tried it.

Definatly try the planks tho if you haven't already </div></div>

A decent variation of that we used to work at Team Quest was to lay next to a chain link fence and have a near same size sparring partner kneed your gut with their feet while standing on you supporting themselves on the fence.

Holding them up with your abs was always a killer. First time I ever had a visible six pack.

There's also all the old school boxing core workouts with medicine balls. Get a partner and toss the ball between reps to the other and bouncing it off their bellies having them situp and hand it back.

Try doing different exercizes to a song, switch between the corus and different verses instead of using a stopwatch.
Med ball workouts are killer.

My favorite, introduced by a high school coach.
1 set is:
45 sc. flutter kicks
45 sc. bike
45 sc. crunches
45 sc. 6 inches
45 sc. rotating crunch
Dont drop between exercises. Three sets, ending with some planks, doesnt get any better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZStrength</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try doing different exercizes to a song, switch between the corus and different verses instead of using a stopwatch.

1 set is:
45 sc. flutter kicks
45 sc. bike
45 sc. crunches
<span style="color: #CC0000">45 sc. 6 inches</span>
45 sc. rotating crunch
Dont drop between exercises. Three sets, ending with some planks, doesnt get any better. </div></div>
Huh?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uhcoog1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All of the exercises are good and will work your abs. There are exercises to work your internal obliques and transverse abdominous (for stability for higher squat/deadlift) and your 6 pack exercises that work your rectus abdominis (your 6 pack, what pulls your chest to your pelvis).

To get stronger abs in order to increase your core stability on squat and deadlifts, it helps to do specific ab workouts.

My favorites:
-decline situps with 20 pound medicine ball (do 50, I dare you)
-hanging windshield wipers
-underhand pull ups with your legs parellel to the ground

If you can do any of these, you've got great core stability. </div></div>

For some reason this JUST got me in a core workout mood lol. I rarely do core, once I see gains in one area I focus on that like biceps or chest or tris and forget the rest lol.

I just did your 1 minute each x 3 sets... I feel so tight around the waist! Hopefully this forum can keep me motivated for lower body / core workouts too cuz I've been slacking!

By the way I'm new here, been lurking but finally got myself to make an account haha.

I've had great success with eight minute abs, and a decline bench combined with a medicine ball. I usually work out alone, so I just keep the ball close to my forehead, and toss it up every time I come up. I alternate between going straight down, and dipping a shoulder. I find that the eight minute abs keep my endurance up, and the medicine ball/decline bench helps build strength. Also, if you work your lower back in conjunction with your abs, you'll feel much stronger.

1 minute of front and side planks (3 minutes total) 1 minute of supermans, 50 crunches, 50 ocordians, 50 leg raises, 50 scissors, 50 reverse crunches, 50 across crunches (100 total) 50 bicycles and then the rest of core (pushups, hip flexors, etc etc.) this is the throwers core work out for my high school track team.

6 inches is this: Lay flat on the ground with your hands flat at your sides. Bring your feet up until heels are "6 Inches" off the ground. Hold there as long as possible.

For ab definition I prefer to go heavy, as abs respond to weight the same as other muscles. Heavy weight, low reps increases size which, in the case of abs, makes them larger and more visible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZStrength</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try doing different exercizes to a song, switch between the corus and different verses instead of using a stopwatch.

1 set is:
45 sc. flutter kicks
45 sc. bike
45 sc. crunches
<span style="color: #CC0000">45 sc. 6 inches</span>
45 sc. rotating crunch
Dont drop between exercises. Three sets, ending with some planks, doesnt get any better. </div></div>
Huh? </div></div>

I think it's laying on you back with feet straight out holding it static 6'' off the ground.

I worked my abbs for years and was solid as far as strength, I dont have much of a six pack but am very strong in my back and abbs. I talked to my chiropractor about long term back health and decided to switch to all core exercises with no weights or sit up movements and realized my core was not as strong as I thought. If you execute core abb exercises properly then you will feel the burn in just a few minutes.

My father is as strong as they come when it comes to real life hard work. He lifted more shit that was way to heavy for one man to lift in the 35 years of construction. He was also a Marine so I think that is part of why he is so damn tough! Any way, At 56 his back had grown enough bone spurs inside the spinal canal that his spinal cord became severly pinched and his right foot and most of his leg became mostly paralyzed. He just had a back surgery to relieve the pressure but the paralysis may be permanent.

The point to what I am saying is that stacking on a lot of wieght for an abb/back workout may make you stronger than most but you might have to pay the price in your older years. Once your back has gone to shit there is not much that can be done to fix it other than damage control.

I like to lay flat on my back and doing a bicycle motion with my feet, whilst doing sit up.

I will do that for a minute.

Then I will raise my feet up and straighten my legs and the slowly lower my feet towards the ground and then hold then a foot above the ground. When I feel burning I will simply fold my legs back in and repeat. I will do this for 2 minutes.

I then go back to my bicycle situps and repeat this process until I feel satisfied.

I also feel it is important to keep my running up as this makes me feel slim.

I believe also sucking in your tummy at all hours of consciousness is important.

+1 on Running
+2 on sucking it in, the abs I mean

I don't really do specific ab work per se, but lots of core strength and no weight belt, but of course I don't do heavier deadlifts or squats than my core can easily handle. I think what your abs look like as genetic. I have oddly large ab muscles genetically, which I guess is cool because I have these big rectangles across my stomach, but I have super weak forearms and calves. Calves piss me off. I work em like crazy but I see guys who never do legs with huge calves... genes.

+1 for squats and dead lifts. I would say that the best ab exercises, for me, are overhead squats and toes to bar. These two just absolutely tear me up. One other thing that is often overlooked is a plank progression, if you can stay in a plank, while rotating through various positions(normal, left side, right side, hands way out in front, and back to normal), for 4-5 minutes then you have a solid core.

I will say your abs, much like your legs, can take an absolute pounding. As such you should try and incorporate quite a bit into your workouts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys do? I'm trying to find the most effective ab workouts. I've done crunches, situps, ab-core, and those type of things, but they just arent as effective as I'd like them to be.

Thanks </div></div>

A lot of studies have shown that a "sit-up" or "crunch" are not optimal ab exercises. If your abs were supposed to do the sit up motion regularly, then you would have another muscle going down the middle of your abs. Your abs are used for stability, so perhaps planks on a big bouncy ball would work, along with one-arm dumb bell bench with your other arm across your shoulder (the key is to try to stabilize without rolling to the side, and not trying to do too much). Also using the ball as back support (make sure your butt isn't off the edge of the ball) during dumb bell bench is good too. Front squats are good for core too. Remember, your 6 pack isn't going to show unless your body fat % is down either. you can have strong abs, but no 6 pack because it's under the layers of fat.