• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Abolt or X bolt?

wease7

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2023
Michigan
Hello. I have a Browning BBR bolt action 30.06. How can I tell if is an Abolt or Xbolt? I do not know there year it is.
Thank you

You have neither
The Xbox has 4 holes for each side of the receiver bridge for scope mounting
The a bolt has the usual 2
The bbr is a different rifle altogether

A-Bolt is a damn good rifle, and despite the lack of aftermarket support, the actions are really nice to build a custom off of. 3-lug 60° bolt & super smooth…

Here’s my custom A-Bolt II 7mm RemMag.

IMG_5130.jpeg

Ballistic-X-Export-2022-05-21 16:24:48.445141.jpeg

Is this a troll post, a trick question, or something obvious I'm missing and I'm just confused?

A-Bolt head looks like an A, X-Bolt looks like an X.

B3578552.jpgBrowning-XBolt-Max-LR-Bolt.jpg

The BBR was the precursor to the A-Bolt and is a very different action to the A-(or X)bolt. At the time, the BBR was made in Japan by Miroku for Browning and was quite similar in appearance and features to a Weatherby Mark V. Similar enough that Browning ceased production and came out with the A-Bolt.

The most visually obvious difference is the 9 lug bolt of the BBR. Simply removing the bolt from the receiver will inform you which action you have.

If you have pictures of your rifle I'd be happy to see them, I've long liked these rifles and think them under-appreciated.

Reactions: pabrousseau