• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

?? about bolt knobs on Savages. DONE 5-23

Patrick_S

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2006
Lunenburg, VT
I have a aftermarket bolt knob coming for my MKII. My question is, how did you guys deal with that little down-and-rear kink in the factory handle/knob when setting it up for an aftermarket knob? Close up pics of your knob installs would be a plus. I was thinking I could just grind down and thread the "ball" to install the knob, but I am unsure how it would fit and look. I thought I might have to heat up and bend the whole thing straight, install the knob, then re-bend if needed, but I don't know how the well it would handle the process.

Thanks

Re: ?? about bolt knobs on Savages. Update 5-21

Well, I did it. Never done a bolt knob install before. Here is it is
DSC01134.jpg

Ground the old knob down to a "close enough" size, threaded, MarineTex'd it on, and little sanding. Ill be putting color on it in the a.m.

Wasn't nearly as bad of a job as I thought, but alls I can say is "Holy MKII Bolt Knob Batman", I won't be missing that thing.

I just emailed my gunsmith about doing this work for me. It would be super nice to have more leverage on those knobs vs. the little tiny ball that hurts my finger when i'm racking the bolt using just my tiny fingers.

Branden

contact kevin rayhill at stockage guns, he did mine and it is perfect. i will get pics soon

I'm working on a build right now with a Savage. I removed the bolt handle from the bolt today and machined a new straight handle from 3/8 stainless rod. I machined a fluted aluminum knob to screw onto that. The result is first class, but I wouldn't recommend it unless done by a gunsmith. I didn't like the crook in the stock bolt either. The bolt handle has 5/16 - 32 threads. The problem though is that the handle is threaded into the bolt and then the bolt center is bored right through the end of the bolt threads! I can't imagine what they where thinking. Anyway, it's fixed now.
Teryx

+1 on Kevin Rayhill. Great work and a very knowledgable guy on Savages or any thing that goes boom.

I don't see any rimfire parts, am I missing something? This was done on a MK II rimfire.

OOPS missed the rimfire part

The knob turned out great. Makes me think I really need to get my Mark II up to speed... Thanks for the pics!

Nice job man, did u take the handle off to grind it or did u do it wtb the bolt still on it?

Thanks for the kind words. Gives me some pride I guess.

s.i.t. I pulled the bolt out of the gun, wrapped all but the knob in masking tape and hit the bench grinder.

That looks sweet. great job.