• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

About to buy reloading equipment...

chriso

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2008
California
Im going to buy a starting kit finally and was looking at the RCBS RC supreme reloading kit it's on cabelas for 289 and my local gun shop has them for 329 I believe... Or if there is any other suggestions? Also any certain die's to look for Not trying to spend to much just getting started...

Re: About to buy reloading equipment...

My preference in a single stage press is with Redding, and Dillon for a progressive unit. RCBS is ok, I hear good things about the Forster Co Ax press as well although it is a bit different from the rest in the way it functions. Get a press and make sure you get at least one detailed manual with a description of what needs to be done step by step and that is a start. Most will get a balance beam scale in the beginning and then upgrade to an electric later, and this is not a bad way to go as I use my RCBS 10-10 balance beam to verify charge weight with my electric scale. There is a lot more to be said and I am sure others will chime in.

P.S. What are you going to be reloading for? Cal. and type of rifle/pistol?

For starters my .308 and 9mm eventually Id like to make some good hunting rounds for my 30-06 and my pops .243... what is a progressive unit???

What is your budget? I wish I had waited and bought better stuff when I started. But anyway I just bought a redding t-7 if there single stage press is built anything like it you won't be disapponted.

Well I wanted to spend around 300 and then I saw how expensive everything was and I dont want to buy something crappy and end up spending more money in the long run the RCBS kit seemed like a good deal but im not sure of quality... A buddy of mine at work said it was a good deal he is into long range and it seems somewhat credible because hes our machinist haha...

RCBS RC is good to go. I have one for about 16 years now and have not had a single problem with it.

Go to midway check them out over there. Redding, rcbs I don't think you'd go wrong either way. I bought a lee kit not a bad kit either if your wanting to start and save a little money. I slowly upgraded all of my stuff from there.

RCBS is good stuff, Redding has a nicer finish (and I prefer them) but the function is essentially equal if you are comparing equal items. I avoid Lee but they are a decent value to the low-volume shooter with modest expectations.
Stay with the big brand names and interchangeability can be expected as the norm. The high-dollar benchrest stuff (Wilson, Harrells, etc.) is commonly great but overkill for 90+% of shooters. Get a press and the basics (scale, few hand tools) and you can browse the web for used stuff - sometime is a deal and others just typically priced.
Buy once and enjoy the quality forever. (no junk)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im going to buy a starting kit finally and was looking at the RCBS RC supreme reloading kit it's on cabelas for 289 and my local gun shop has them for 329 I believe... Or if there is any other suggestions? Also any certain die's to look for Not trying to spend to much just getting started... </div></div>

Here is a list of "buy once, cry once" items that will give you the results you want. This list has been refined and proven effective in colaboration with several reloaders.

My 2 cents. Good luck.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...5515#Post925515

I think Im going to go with the RCBS kit on Cabelas and order some .308 dies shoot I wont have enough for the stuff to make the ammo haha!!! can someone explain to me what shell holders are??? It says it does not include shell holders...

Have a look at these videos I took of the new Rock Chucker:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...492#Post1089492

I would definitely inspect the press before bringing it home, I have a friend who got burned by the new RC.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend one of these. If you insist on a single stage press and want to "buy once, buy right", get a Forster Co-Ax. Its the only single stage that I've found that gives me any advantage in things like runout over what I get on my RL-550.

What else is there to get besides a single stage what are the differences??? Im not dead set on a single stage but I dont know what the other ones are I just want to make accurate rounds at a decent speed...

This is the Dillon RL-550 Progressive Press:
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25291/catid/1/RL550B__w_o_a_Caliber_Conversion_Kit
Once nice thing about the 550 (for beginners) is that it can be used as a single stage press since it's manual indexing.

Here is an article that shows the advantages of a progressive press:
http://www.huntershandbook.com/HH06spreads/hornady.pdf
Although, I didn't personally find the Hornady LNL AP I bought to be of great precision.

Well the dillon is only 30 dollars more than the RCBS at my local store so maybe Ill get that... it comes with all the basic stuff I need besides brass,primers,bullets and dies correct???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well the dillon is only 30 dollars more than the RCBS at my local store so maybe Ill get that... it comes with all the basic stuff I need besides brass,primers,bullets and dies correct??? </div></div>

Read more ChrisO.

You'll be disappointed less if you go in with eyes wide open. I have both a RCBS RockChucker and the RL550. I prefer the Dillon but occasionally use the RC. For the Dillon 550, you'll need tool heads, conversion kits, and powder dies in addition to the press. Also, the primer feed system and at least one powder dispenser, is a good policy as well. For just one caliber, you are loking at more than $330.00 unless you are dating one of the Dillon models!
laugh.gif

If you look at the list of essential stuff suggested in several threads on this subject, you'll find that it is difficult to get into the act for under $350.00 unless you spend your time reading and understanding.

The first, essential things you need, are general books on reloading such as the Lyman or LEE manuals. The ABCs of reloading, and Metallic cartridge reloading, are very thorough books. The various annual compendiums, such as the Shooters Bible, often have handloading sections.

One thing you should disabuse yourself of is the notion of saving money: not because you don't, but because for a while, you are going to find you need something more, or regret something you bought, and need to replace it. Then there are trimmers, case prep tools, a tumbler, a bench and storage space, bins, boxes, record keeping considerations, and other items you may discover you can't live without.

The saving money angle is especially valid however, when explaining why there was another charge to MidWay, or the local reloading supply outfit, to the Mrs.! I'm just saving more money dear: Women love it when you appear thrifty.

Do more home work and you won't be disappointed. In all honesty, I think a price horizon of $575.00-$750.00 is more realistic from the buy once, cry once perspective.

Good luck.

I just started reloading and was going to get that same kit. I talked to a good friend of mine and together we pieced a "kit" together. That kit your talking about has some stuff you dont need and is missing some things you do need.

I got off to a good start for around 450 bucks before bullets, brass, powder and primers. I did the rock chucker, actually every I got is RCBS so far.

Since I got my start up gear I have bought a tumbler, and a swagger die for my crimped brass (.223).

I would read read read and see if you can find a friend locally to help you out. And by friend I dont mean the guy behind the counter at the gun shop.

Just my couple pennys

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Im going to go with the RCBS kit on Cabelas and order some .308 dies shoot I wont have enough for the stuff to make the ammo haha!!! can someone explain to me what shell holders are??? It says it does not include shell holders... </div></div>

Shell holder holds your brass to the ram. There are many different sizes. Buy them in a kit saves you from going damn I forgot that and run back to the store

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well the dillon is only 30 dollars more than the RCBS at my local store so maybe Ill get that... it comes with all the basic stuff I need besides brass,primers,bullets and dies correct??? </div></div>

You will need more than the RL550 press as it is sold from Dillon, I would advise that you do some more research in this before spending money on something that you will regret later. Buy one of the reloading books first off, I understand the Lyman is a good choice as it covers both handgun and long gun reloading.

If I had to do it over again and buy all new stuff I would still have a Dillon XL650 for the hangun cartridges and I would get the Redding T-7 turret press for the rifle stuff. I have not used a Co Ax but I have played with one and it does do the same thing but in a different manner than the traditional square type press. As far as being on a budget goes I think you should just be sure to spend wisely and get what you need after learning some about what is really needed to load your ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is the Dillon RL-550 Progressive Press:
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25291/catid/1/RL550B__w_o_a_Caliber_Conversion_Kit
Once nice thing about the 550 (for beginners) is that it can be used as a single stage press since it's manual indexing.

Here is an article that shows the advantages of a progressive press:
http://www.huntershandbook.com/HH06spreads/hornady.pdf
Although, I didn't personally find the Hornady LNL AP I bought to be of great precision. </div></div>

And if you do only want one press that can do it all the RL550 is a great choice IMO.

Get this book:
Handloading for Competition
Glenn Zediker
Zediker Publishing

The kit you're thinking about is fine, and it won't break your budget.

The Forster Co-Ax is hard to beat. I like the Harrell's precision turret press for load development at the range. My 650 can't crank out ammo as precise as either of the above, but it can put out a hell of a lot more.

+1 on the reading and buying good books. "Handloading for Competition" is a good book. Precision Shootings "Reloading Guide" is the best book I have read on precision reloading. The first chapter ,written by the principals at Sinclair International, is worth the price of the book.

Well I talked to my buddy at work he competes alot and is a credible guy and said the RCBS rockchucker would be good enough and the more I progress maybe one day Ill step it up... I got the rockchucker kit at my local gun store today...

I have a Dillon 550 as well - use it less and less for pistol and more for a single stage and semi-progressive reloading for 308. I'll have a RC soon. For where you're at in the learning journey and what you're doing you went the right way with a RC. Read everything you can, work your loads up slowly and have fun.

Yeah I have been into the LR shooting game for awhile now and have been using match ammo but even at the discounted price I get it is to expensive now... I am excited to experiment and learn something new!!!

Any progressive press can be used for single stage reloading. Just remove all the dies but the one you want to use. Some progressive presses are easier to do that with than others.

However, I do not recommend starting out on a progressive press, whether you use it progressively or single-stage-style. Get a good single stage press and master it, then think about getting a progressive press.

Andy

Just FYI - I have a Dillon RL450 for sale in the Optics & Access. Thread for $350 with one caliber conversion, and possibly a set of dies depending on caliber desired... If you decide to go that way... Only selling because I have 2 of them & a Forester Co-Ax....

if your going to want a multiple stage press go
DILLON only
single stage there are a lot I have a 25 year old rcbs that still pushes oout great rounds
Bill

There is nothing wrong with the RCBS rock chucker. I just puchased one this last week, and I have already put 1000 .45 and 1000 308 through it with not a single clitch or issue. I did purchase a digital scale, and a primer brush that I put into my drill press for cleaning out the primer well, other then that get a good brass cleaner and a brass trimer, I went with a laymens, just because it was cheaper, and you should be just fine.

I can't compaire it to others because I have never used them, but I got this one from Cabelas same deal as your looking at, and it had 95% of everything that I needed.