• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

about to head to sniper section

bantaman2

Private
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2011
Washington [WA]
hey guys, i rarely post anything on this forum, but i just wonder what the hide has to say about a little indecisiveness i have been debating on.

i am pretty set on purchasing a bolt rifle, possibly a GAP but i am not quite sure if i want to spend that kind of money on my first long range rifle. are there any suggestions for someone who is going to be doing tactical matches out to 1000 meters. the one thing i do not want to sacrifice on is accuracy.

and i am lost in the world of optics. i know i want some form of horus reticle, most likely a nightforce or a US optic. but im a little confused about the magnification i should be looking for.

if you have any suggestions or just want to call me a cherry feel free to pipe in!

thank you all,

mike

Re: about to head to sniper section

There are plenty of good gun plumbers here on the hide that can build you a great stick.

You say you are going to the "sniper section", does this imply that it will be a work gun?

You can go full on custom, (GAP, Roscoe, RW Snyder, mark gordon etc...), this will be a wait, usually months.
You can go semi-custom by truing a Rem action, lapping the lugs and install a good barrel. You can get into that for about 1800. It will be an excellent shooter, but not have all the nice touches.

You can buy an FN SPR, this will be about the same as a semi-custom. They are essentially a semi-custom. Bedded in an excellent McMillan stock.

You could just buy an AI AE or TRG-22 and call it good.

no it will be a personal rifle, but i will use to to make my self better for work. but i like the idea of the FN. i will look into that one

my budget is most probably near 2000 for a rifle, and about 2000 for an optic.

Having been the owner of 2 FN SPR A5s, I can tell you they shoot very well straight out of the box. I have to say I'm a flat out fan of that action as well. The old win style triggers that come in them can also be tuned into some of the better feeling factory triggers out there, in my opinion.

Some people get leery of 12 twist barrel, but thats not a deal breaker for me. Shot very well up to 190s I had. Havnt tried to go past that(you won't be throwing any 208s out of it) . The rifle actually shot SWammo's 175s so well, I didn't have to bother shooting anything else..

Keep checking the classifieds. There have been some killer deals lately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MJB275</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey guys, i rarely post anything on this forum, but i just wonder what the hide has to say about a little indecisiveness i have been debating on.

i am pretty set on purchasing a bolt rifle, possibly a GAP but i am not quite sure if i want to spend that kind of money on my first long range rifle. are there any suggestions for someone who is going to be doing tactical matches out to 1000 meters. the one thing i do not want to sacrifice on is accuracy.

and i am lost in the world of optics. i know i want some form of horus reticle, most likely a nightforce or a US optic. but im a little confused about the magnification i should be looking for.

if you have any suggestions or just want to call me a cherry feel free to pipe in!

thank you all,

mike </div></div>

Mike,
I'm guessing Bravo Company, 2nd Batt/75th Rangers? Although that is none of my fucking business.

If you're going to shoot civilian tactical matches in your area (such as the Findlay Cup and the Field Shooter's Challenge out of Ellensberg) you need to be aware of caliber restrictions. Your rifle can't be a magnum (of any length) and in the Cup, it can't be a long action caliber either. That cuts down your choices really quick.

A lot of guys are running 260's with some running 7mm-08's & 284's. The last FSC was won by a guy running a barrel burning 243 Winchester. Shooting the 115 grain DTAC projectile the match winner was kicking so serious ass.

But NONE of those cartridges are used by the military. They are a lot of fun to shoot, but offer very reduced training value compared to what you could be getting shooting a .308 winchester loaded with a 175 grain Sierra Matchking.

If I was in your position, about to head to a sniper section, I would buy a Remington 700 5R "Mil-Spec" in .308 win, put a 20 MOA Badger Ordanance picatinny rail on it, buy Badger Ordanance "Mil-Spec" rings and top it off with the Bushnell HDMR 3-21x50(56?) Scope with either the Mil-dot reticle or the H-58 reticle.

On second thought, maybe not such a fancy scope. Why?

If you really are going to a sniper section, you will have REAL WORLD SHIT to deal with. Confusing your calibers might end up costing someone's life. You don't want to be a NO-GO at that station, Ranger.

And if your unit has already made the switch to the 300 Win Mag, you need to be practicing with that. And the Win Mag is not allowed in any of the matches I know about. Bummer. In which case I'd recomend reverting back to the 308 pushing 175 grain SMK's.

But that's a "Tab-wearing" ex-Paratrooper giving his two cents worth. Fancy calibers are the luxury of civilans. You're filling a far more important role in life.

For the Scope I also suggest the Bushnell HDMR except in a GAP G2 Reticle instead of the Horus. It's A LOT MORE Cleaner and just as Badass for Hold Over Calculation and user friendiness (If not More). The Price will run about $1200-$1400 which will save you some $$$ there on AMMO for actual Training with it.

Now for the rifle though, I personally own a Remington 5R Mil Spec .308 and it's a Awesome Rifle out of the box. But the Stock Trigger SUCKS, the HS Precision Stock was ok but too short and light for my taste. I ended up doing a lot of work on it to make it (Custom) to my liking. So if you planing on Modify it in the Future tnen the 5R will be a Great Starting Point.

However, as a cosumer of Value vs Quality, I will suggest you to look in to TIKKA Rifles. Specifically their TIKKA T3 Scout CTR or Tactical Models. A T3 Scout CTR 20incher can be had for $900 and IT IS A FREAKEN INSANE FACTORY SHOOTER!!! If you just do a Quick topic Search on the Hide on this rifle you'll know How Good These Rifle Shoots Straight out of the Box.

Being Made by SAKO is a Testmony in itself. TIKKA uses essentially the Same Exact Barrels as the Top End SAKO TRG Rifles which also have essentially the Same Accuracy as well. So more most if not All TIKKA I've Seen and Read about Out Shoots A lot of the Custom Guns and Most of the Factory Rifles. For the price vs quality vs accuracy you will NOT find a Better Deal than this. Later on if you don't like to Factory Stock just put it in a Mc Millan, Manners, or a XLR or KRG W3 Chasis and you'll be Amazed how much better it'll handle. Trust me, it's worth EVERY PENNY!

I have one of the Bushnell G2DMR scopes and it is really nice. I just got it and the mount for it hasn't shown up yet so I cant say much about it myself. A lot of people say they are the best for their price range. Since you mentioned the Horus reticle I figured I'd let you know that hide member SNIPERSFORDUMMIES has a brand new Leupold Mark 4 34mm 6.5-20 with zero stop and Horus H58 reticle for $2800. That and a Tikka T3 would put you right around the $4000 mark you set. He posted if you buy it this weekend it will come with a new set of 34mm Mark 4 rings. Says a S&B with the same features would run about $4000 by itself