• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

about to send the rifle to GAP

Cvarney

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2011
Williamson WV
First off I'd like to give Ken at GAP some props. He's been very helpful with me the last couple weeks, even though he was at the SH cup, with some newb questions I had.
This is my first rifle I've ever had worked over. As it sits now, Remmy 700 SPS in an aftermarket HS stock. Shoots fairly good now, best group at 100 yards I've had measured around .75 MOA for 5 rounds. Primary reason I'm sending it off is to get threaded for a suppressor. Form 4 for an AAC cyclone went pedning on the 25th. Unable to find any local smiths period, so I figure I might as well get every thing trued up and a match barell on it while it's out. I'm looking to get it blueprinted, rebarelled, inletted, badget bolt knob, and cerrokoted while it's out. I've decided on 20-22 inch for the barrell and Ken said thier standard is 11.25 on the twist which from what I've read should be fine. I mostly shoot 175g bullets. Outside of these things is there any primary work I should have done? Looking to have everything finished and be done with it.
I know this is only my 9th or so post, and first one in awhile, but I've not stopped lurking. Appreciate any input guys.
C

Re: about to send the rifle to GAP

You might want to look into having it bedded as well.

Your rifle is in great hands. George and grew will return a hammer and make sure all the details are taken care of. I sure they are planning on bedding it but as noted make sure they do. Outside of that you look good to go.

If your rifle has the privilege of being worked over by GA Precision you won't be disapponted. +1 for the bedding suggestions presented above.

Action Truing
Trigger job
Bed stock

I shoot 175smk in a GAP crusader with 22" barrel and 1 in 11.25" twist threaded with an AAC cyclone. If you reload consider going shorter, as with a suppressor your rifle will be front heavy. I'm getting about 18fps more with my suppressor than without. Most people get around 10-20fps more with a suppressor. So that
hopefully will help you plan according with what you want as far as ballistics.

Going to feel like a lot of x-mas eves in a row my friend. Hope you have another shooter to keep you busy.

I would just get a crusader or another one of their standard builds. It will save you down time. Save your current rifle for hunting or else your next purchase will be a light weight hunting rifle.

As mentioned, bedding the action to the stock would be a good addition to your list of changes.

Also as mentioned, GAP does awesome work. You won't be disappointed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264Charlie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> George and grew will return a hammer and make sure all the details are taken care of. </div></div>

Gru works at GAP?

dr_gru.gif

Thanks for the input guys, I'll add getting it bedded to my list. Going to try and get it shipped out tomorrow or monday can't wait to see the finished product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cvarney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the input guys, I'll add getting it bedded to my list. Going to try and get it shipped out tomorrow or monday can't wait to see the finished product. </div></div>

How long did they say it would take to get it back? I talked to them a couple of weeks ago about a build...sounded like they were way backed up.

Honestly I didn't think to ask for a lead time. I emailed Ken some time ago, I think around the first of the year, about the lead time on a rebarrel job. He told me it was about 4 months then.

Today I finally got the gun shipped off to them. Had a terrible time with UPS and FedEx. Niether would accept it to be shipped. I got the same run around about me having to have an FFL, ended up going with the USPS. Now the wait begins....

You won't be sorry for going with GAP. I (along with many other Hide members posts I've read) love GAP. I have 2 of their bolt guns, both are ridiculous accurate. Took a nice bull in CO during the 2010 elk season at 660y with my 338 LM . . . say goodnight. Waiting is the hardest part!

I did the same as you, sending my remington in for an overhaul. You won't regret doing it. Mine is better that I thought it would be. It was around 4 months for mine.

Had the same problem with UPS too. They almost didn't want to ship it because of the insured value I put on it, about $2,000. It was my barreled action, rings, scope base, and McMillian A5.

UPS and FedEx just wouldn't accept a gun to be shipped. First I tried taking the rifle to a customer center for UPS and they claimed they couldn't take guns over the counter. Called customer service again when I got home (the center is about 45 minutes away, and only open for 90 minutes a day) and they wanted me to get a copy of GAP's FFL. Ken did email me a photo of it, but the whole experience with UPS put a bad taste in my mouth. FedEx wouldn't even let me schedule a pick up, they guy on the line said whoever was getting the shipping label printed had to have an FFL and after a minute minutes I just said F it and hung up. Lady at the post office was much more pleasant. Granted it's a small rural area so the whole idea of guns didn't freak her out I guess. Oh well, lesson learned I suppose.

I wouldn't fuss with having the stock bedded. The HS stock's bedding block is just fine the way it is. I haven't bedded my last two GAP builds and they are both capable of under 3/8 MOA.