• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

About to start loading 22lr

Geno C.

Dirty Carnie
Minuteman
  • Oct 24, 2007
    Wautoma, WI
    Going to start loading 22lr. Got a buddy at Badlands precision to make the bullet. Think I’ll start with something in the Red Dot 🔴 burn range
    E2CDFB2D-D8D3-41E5-9DA1-0785E6E42919.jpeg
    1946D482-E282-4E59-A1FE-4279BE4A713F.jpeg

Well, you have my attention.

This for a bolt gun? Any more info on that bullet?

Reactions: 338dude
    Ok here goes.

1)New primed brass? Not pulled bullets from loaded ammo? Did not know this was available.

2)What twist to stabilize?

3)What velocity do you expect to achieve?

Reactions: MCHOG
    What does that bullet weigh?

Learning something new every day

Ok here goes.

1)New primed brass? Not pulled bullets from loaded ammo? Did not know this was available.

2)What twist to stabilize?

3)What velocity do you expect to achieve?
    My barrel is a 5.75 but they should be stable in anything faster than an 8

Hoping for 14-1500fps but that’s yet to be determined. They’ll ship tomorrow so once I get them in hand, then real testing will start

No, I should be under .65 per shot. Eley Tenex is .42 for reference. It’s not plinking ammo priced for sure
    Side track but you’re buying tenex at the slightly wrong place then (I suck at math and it wasn’t as different as I thought)
    Back to the regularly scheduled programming badassery

Last edited:
    Reactions: Geno C.
    My barrel is a 5.75 but they should be stable in anything faster than an 8

Hoping for 14-1500fps but that’s yet to be determined. They’ll ship tomorrow so once I get them in hand, then real testing will start
    I'm sure you have worked this out already, so I'm not second guessing you. But it seems like you you would hit the transonic range pretty quickly. I would have thought you would want to start out subsonic. What is the thought in the 1,400 - 1,500 fps?

I'm sure you have worked this out already, so I'm not second guessing you. But it seems like you you would hit the transonic range pretty quickly. I would have thought you would want to start out subsonic. What is the thought in the 1,400 - 1,500 fps?
    This bullet will transition without problems. That being the case, there is no need to start subsonic. The plan it to push them as hard as the brass will take it and find a stable node like normal

Side track but you’re buying tenex at the wrong place then
    Back to the regularly scheduled programming badassery
    I just pulled up the first place that popped up when I searched. Midway is 20.99/50 so still at .36 from killough

I saw this being done several years back. It was for a short barrel suppressed bolt gun. Being developed for sale to military.
    It was being worked on by Pacific Coast Cartridge in Florence Oregon. Owners name was Mike, if memory serves. Really cool setup!

I saw this being done several years back. It was for a short barrel suppressed bolt gun. Being developed for sale to military.
    It was being worked on by Pacific Coast Cartridge in Florence Oregon. Owners name was Mike, if memory serves. Really cool setup!
    Interesting, I’ll look into that👍🏼

Wasn't Cutting Edge supposed to revolutionize the 22 ammo market? Personally, I think it's awesome, I'd love to see some cool 22 ammo released.

Interesting, I’ll look into that👍🏼
    I googled PCC earlier and they are still listed. Hope they are still up and running. They were always building some really cool, off the wall, new toy. I haven't been in contact with them for several years. I'm sure there a SH members from the Florence area. It's an area with lots of shooters and a great gun range.

Wasn't Cutting Edge supposed to revolutionize the 22 ammo market? Personally, I think it's awesome, I'd love to see some cool 22 ammo released.
    They were. This won’t be available as loaded ammo.
    I just want to be able to load my own to a higher accuracy level than what’s currently available for long range

They were. This won’t be available as loaded ammo.
    I just want to be able to load my own to a higher accuracy level than what’s currently available for long range

understood. Hopefully it will pique others interest in the endeavor and we will see it in a loaded round for the public.

Geno,
    Is TiteGroup too slow or is it right in the neighborhood?
    It burns really clean if it'll work.

I actually hope it gets people wanting to load their own ammo, just like we do for our favorite centerfire
    I’m not gonna lie. You’ve got me considering whether or not I could beat a good lot of eley match.

The way I figure it, the factory primed cases are the largest potential variable.

The reason I ask is that you're using a solid and might want something a tiny bit slower building the pressure

I’m not gonna lie. You’ve got me considering whether or not I could beat a good lot of eley match.

The way I figure it, the factory primed cases are the largest potential variable.
    It might not beat it at short range, then again, it might. It once it gets out there, in the wind for a bit, I have no doubt this bullet will shoot inside the best lead bullet.

Reactions: spife7980
    It might not beat it at short range, then again, it might. It once it gets out there, in the wind for a bit, I have no doubt this bullet will shoot inside the best lead bullet.
    What sort of special reamer does this take?

Well here is some reloadable centerfire 22 LR cases, just need to modify a 22 to centerfire.

LOL, I would probably spill out half of them from the tray to the press to seat the bullets.

22-LR-CF-289x300.jpg
    They don’t meet the rules for 22lr/rimfire comps.

You could always make a sub class for the centerfire comps that are basically the same as a rim fire comp. The idea of high accuracy reloadable 22lr ammo is really interesting.

Your custom bullet looks a bit like the one in the attached pic. This one came out of a .303 Brit loaded in 1950.
    Your project is really interesting. Hope you will keep us posted on the progress!

Attachments

• 303 Brit 1950.jpg
      303 Brit 1950.jpg
      231.3 KB · Views: 78
    Reactions: Geno C.
    Your custom bullet looks a bit like the one in the attached pic. This one came out of a .303 Brit loaded in 1950.
    Your project is really interesting. Hope you will keep us posted on the progress!
    That’s a cool looking projectile! What’s the diameter of the portion behind the recessed part and in front of it?

Reactions: 308Gunner