• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

? About TRG-42 and 338 Lapua guns.

jamiebob

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2009
alberta canada
Thinking of geeting into the 338 game. Looking at TRG-42, savage and remington all in the 338 Lapua.

Question about the sako is the blue version is 800$ less up here in canada the black or Green why is this? Any one have the blue trg?
Some shops have a deal up here on the TRG-42 where you get a free bipod with it so
Green / balck sell for 4200 can.
Blue is 3600 can

Savage sell for 2400 can
Reminton sell for 1600 can

So realy just looking for people that have shot the Trg or have the blue one and if the is and diffrence worth 800$ and with the free bipod kinda put all guns in some what the same price point.

Is the sako 1200$ better than the savage and 2g's better that the rem. I know some guys are not getting the rem to shot well out of the box and the brake is junk.

url]
[/img]

Re: ? About TRG-42 and 338 Lapua guns.

I have the blued model with black stock. Only the barrel is blued. The action is phosphated. Near the muzzle, depending on the model, there is a slot milled out for the optional front site that you can purchase. The blued model does not have that slot milled on the barrel.

There has been questions about the stock asked before on the blued version and the phosphated version. The phosphated version stock was to weigh more and be stonger as compaired to the black blued version of the system. I have both and cannot tell the difference. Maybe some of the other experts can answer that question.

I dont own the other models you listed or shot one either. The TRG is about the best you can get out of the box. I am happy with mine and the extra features you get with the TRG are a step above the others.

Get the TRG, you will not regret it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 8up</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Get the TRG, you will not regret it! </div></div>

+1

I have the blued version with black stock in .338 LM. Very accurate and comfortable rifle, only downside is the price of accessories.

Also, have you ever heard someone say this about a TRG? <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know some guys are not getting the rem to shot well out of the box and the brake is junk</div></div>

The trg bipod for the people at are running it on there gun how are they? They easy to ajust, set up and stable? They worth the money? I'm going to buy rings and bass now online and get the gun when i get home from work. I have a NF 5.5x22x50 for it just need to know a ring high and what is the better base to run? 20moa lots or should a guy get one a bit bigger?

jamiebob, the TRG-42 is a fantastic rifle, and the 338LM is a great long distance round, shoots like a laser beam and very accurate. I don't think you can beat the ergonomics of the TRG series compaired to other rifles.

As far as base and rings, look into the Near base, rings and/or Alpha mount, you can't go wrong there, plus they are made in your home country. www.scopebases.com

I'm running a Near 25-moa base and a Near 20-moa Alpha with S&B 5-25x56. Prior to the S&B, I had a NF 5.5-22x56 with zero-moa Alpha, and it worked out great.

As far as the TRG bipod, to me they feel like the legs are not very strong, and I know some of the board members here have broken a leg or two on them. I like the bipod, but I take care not to try to abuse it or play rough with it.

I love my TRG 42!!! The bipod is great, but a little expensive. The nicest thing about it is that the rifle hangs inside the bipod, making it very easy to stabalize. I have Ken Farrell 20 MOA base and serial #'d matching rings from them too. I think the cost for the set-up was $250. Totally worth it.

I know the Sako cost a little more than most of the others you listed. If you end up going with it you won't be dissapointed :)

I have a Nightforce 50MM scope as well. If you IM me your email i'd be happy to send you a couple pictures of my base/ring set-up so you can see the height off the barrel for reference.

Have you been able to fire a TRG? If you can borrow one, that may assist your decision.
Once you do, there is every confidence you will get the TRG if the others are being considered.
TRG's rock.
The bipods can be a bit on the delicate side for a military system, IMO. I've beat mine up some to my disappointment. I would expect tougher. However, it can take some rough treatment but not a complete pounding. Atlas has one for TRG soon.
http://www.accu-shot.com/atlas_bipod.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The bipods can be a bit on the delicate side for a military system, IMO. I've beat mine up some to my disappointment. I would expect tougher. However, it can take some rough treatment but not a complete pounding. </div></div>

This surprises me. I fingered one in a store and it looked like the stoutest bipod I've seen. It was all steel and quite heavy. How would you break it?

cool jamiebob, let us know how it shoots when you take it out and what you think of it.

I sold my TRG's because I like the AI stock system better

I had the Sako bipod for both my 22 and 42 and was happy with it. With that being said, if I was doing it again, I would probably not spend the money ($450) on one, I would look at other options such as the Atlas. If atlas has the sako mount that would be even better