• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing ABS carbon barrels

Dustin C

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2008
Ar
Just wondering what everyones opinion was on ABS carbon barrles. Looking at getting one.
Thanks
Dustin

Re: ABS carbon barrels

I like mine but they are probably not for every body.

My experience is that they fit the need very well for an accurate long range hunting gun without having to pack the additional weight of a heavy barrel. A whole lot better than Christensen's carbon barrel from what I've seen. I have no issues with POI moving when multiple shots are fired.

They are pricey and delivery times have been sporadic and unpredictable. It is my understanding that ABS is working to improve these issues but time will tell. Shooting Times did an article in their January 09 issue that covered the technology pretty well.

Look up Senderoman, he has one and I think its got a Rock barrel. I can't imagine having to much problem when it comes to accuracy with Rock at the heart of the system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Balthasar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look up Senderoman, he has one and I think its got a Rock barrel. I can't imagine having to much problem when it comes to accuracy with Rock at the heart of the system. </div></div>

If you knew what they did to it before they wrap it might change your mind. They cut the things so small just to get enough on there to do any good that you take a big chance ruining that barrel.

I'm running one on a Massoud rifle right now. I haven't got any formal testing, but so far it's shooting very well, and stays pretty cool. And of course it's light and looks cool as hell.
J

Thanks guys for all the input just kicking some tires right now trying to come up with something new. Ive had Christensen and had zero luck with it but liked the concept
Thanks
Dustin

Why not get one of the new rock carbon wrapped barrels. There is a group buy right now and they are alot cheaper than ABS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Balthasar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look up Senderoman, he has one and I think its got a Rock barrel. I can't imagine having to much problem when it comes to accuracy with Rock at the heart of the system. </div></div>

If you knew what they did to it before they wrap it might change your mind. They cut the things so small just to get enough on there to do any good that you take a big chance ruining that barrel. </div></div>

NaG - I think you are mistaken on how these barrel blanks are machined. Paul (Rock Barrels) and the others in the cut rifled business actually have a special contour worked out with ABS so when you order a carbon barrel it is made a certain way, not just some barrel blank turned down to size. The barrel is contoured before it is cut rifled and lapped. This is why ABS does not recommend the use of buttoned rifled barrels and is one of the big differences between how carbon barrels have been done in the past vs this process.

Cut riled barrels are made differently than buttoned and it creates a different set of opportunities.

With more people using this technology to wrap barrels, hopefully the price will come down making them more affordable. Cost is the biggest drawback I see. My carbon rifle shoots as well or better than any traditional barrel I have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Balthasar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look up Senderoman, he has one and I think its got a Rock barrel. I can't imagine having to much problem when it comes to accuracy with Rock at the heart of the system. </div></div>

If you knew what they did to it before they wrap it might change your mind. They cut the things so small just to get enough on there to do any good that you take a big chance ruining that barrel. </div></div>

NaG - I think you are mistaken on how these barrel blanks are machined. Paul (Rock Barrels) and the others in the cut rifled business actually have a special contour worked out with ABS so when you order a carbon barrel it is made a certain way, not just some barrel blank turned down to size. The barrel is contoured before it is cut rifled and lapped. This is why ABS does not recommend the use of buttoned rifled barrels and is one of the big differences between how carbon barrels have been done in the past vs this process.

Cut riled barrels are made differently than buttoned and it creates a different set of opportunities.

With more people using this technology to wrap barrels, hopefully the price will come down making them more affordable. Cost is the biggest drawback I see. My carbon rifle shoots as well or better than any traditional barrel I have.</div></div>

I have a hunch NAG knows a thing or two about what he is talking about...

Check his profile

Then main point i was trying to get across is that your taking a big chance of these not shooting well after the process. The barrels coming from rock i bet would shoot much better if the process is done that way and at least less of a chance of not working well.

And yes some of them will shoot like a house of fire but the many that we tried very few actually shoot well.

I would recommend stress relieving these before they were wrapped though.

No problem, each draws from their own experience and I cannot say I have actually tested a large amount of any kind of barrel. My experience with the ABS process involves 6 barrels and all of them have shot as well as traditional barrels of similar contour.

If you have tested a lot of ABS style barrels, then you must have seen things I have not.

Alot of the barrels ABS used from us were already rifled before he wrapped them we don't do that any more, everything that we send out to be wrapped is only drilled and contoured before wrapping. Every barrel that I have had wrapped has shot very well but that has only been 4 barrels that I have personally shot. I know some of the AR type barrels he did were some of our button barrels which I do not suggest doing. I am guaranteeing all of the wrapped barrels that we are doing now that I am having them wrapped by Todd Bettin not ABS. We guarantee .5 MOA with all of our barrels.

Paul

I have used mostly ABS Ar barrels and I have to say all mine shot as good as any premium std. steel barrel. This why I'm curious as to what was being said at silencer talk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWSGunsmithing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BachelorJack, Unfortunatly you have to have a membership to view those links. What are they saying on them?
</div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold">It's worth signing up just to read the two threads I linked....</span>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DEVL on ST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Yeah read the thread... they suck. Biggest mistake I ever made. Want to buy an 11.5" ABS barrel cheap? Only fired 1000 rounds! I still have it.
</div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold">And</span>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DEVL on ST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Fucking garbage. If I have ONE thing someone listens to me on it would be to NOT buy one of Mike's garbage, overpriced, shot out in 1000 rounds,going from sub 1 MOA to 5-6 MOA barrels that costs a crap load, has delicate carbon fiber that cant hold onto the barrel worth a crap, and takes alomst a year or sometimes longer to get.
</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanB on ST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Mike is flaky as hell. He doesn't do stress well. My understanding is he has lots of heart attacks. A friend of mine is working with him now, and thats making him more reliable. They are going to build me a bolt rifle. I told them that when I get a picture of the rifle, put together, then he gets my credit card number.
</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chromeluv on ST and also a member here</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I cannot tell you how fast and far I would run away from any ABS barrel.

Please do not consider this as an option, this is coming from someone who has had thousands of dollars of training spoiled, years of waiting, and years of frustration.

While the concept is pretty trick, please do not consider this an option.
</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">There are other tasty tidbits, all coming from guys that have no problem spending or wasting money on the next big thing.</span>

I was really interested in them early last year, and asked around trying to ferret out information. I found few people who were happy with the experience. Those that seemed to be happy couldn't be verified as actual "shooters" (IE: the rifles were safe queens). All the shooters I could find that had them, had nothing good to say.

Neat concept, shit execution, and even shittier company from what I gathered. Lothar-Walther also offers an interesting light weight option, but I've yet to hear anyone with ANY experience with those. When I emailed them, wait time was long, prices were in-line with the ABS stuff, and only certain people were authorized to make/install them.

http://www.lothar-walther.com/396.php

As cut rifled mentioned that is a better way of doing the barrels. My biggest problem with them is most of them are contoured down to .5" or .6" where the wrap is being applied. There still going to shoot like a barrel that has been contoured that small just absorb a little more heat then the normal small contour.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dustin C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just wondering what everyones opinion was on ABS carbon barrles. Looking at getting one.
Thanks
Dustin </div></div>

Yep, I've owned at least 12 ABS barrels over the years. ABS barrels are the best barrels I have ever used.

Is it necessary to order a barrel blank first and then have it shipped to ABS? No, you can order any barrel from ABS and they will <span style="text-decoration: underline">start with a very good barrel blank</span>. But I have always loved Krieger barrel accuracy and excellence of workmanship and getting that accuracy combined with the lightweight of an ABS barrel has proven to be the best of the best for me.

I use a different approach when getting an ABS barrel made. I start out by ordering a Krieger barrel in a very light contour. Then I send that barrel to ABS to have it re-contoured for an even lighter weight, then wrapped with carbon fiber.

The end result is an extremely accurate and light weight barrel that cools much faster than steel barrels. I have yet to "shoot out" an ABS barrel.

ABS barrel accuracy? Some of the very best out there. The problems most people have with ABS barrels and accuracy is the <span style="font-weight: bold">lack</span> of weight. A heavy gun is easier to shoot consistantly the same way each and every time. The very light barrels means that more focus has to be paid to obtain the same consistant shot groups. I've demonstrated this time and again on the range. Want a benchrest heavy rifle? Use benchrest heavy components. Want a lightweight, extremely portable, tactical rifle? Start by using an ABS barrel.

Delay times. All the horror stories you have heard about delays in ABS barrels delivery time are true. However, that is "ABS version 1.0" so to speak. ABS recently expanded (doubled in size, if not more) and is now producing barrels at a much faster rate. I call the new and improved ABS by the name "ABS v2.0". Since this expansion at ABS, my turn around time on barrel orders has been improved dramatically.

Here is my rifle. I love it and it is very light weight for it's barrel diameter and very accurate.

Jense_Precision_260_Remington_Tactical_02_BIG-963x469.jpg

Jense_Precision_260_Remington_Tactical_03_BIG-965x796.jpg

Last note. When I build my next rifle, I'm simply going to order a complete custom rifle from Jense Precision.

Jense Precision

Jense Precision ONLY uses ABS barrels and has the finest of gunsmithing workmanship and guarentees. There are simply no issues allowed with a Jense Precision rifle. If any issues come up, Jense Precision repairs or replaces the rifle immediately.

And, Jense Precision has priority ordering status for ABS barrels. Yeah, they have a lot of ABS barrels IN STOCK!

ABS barrels in stock!

another thing - if I could just find these so called "crappy ABS barrels". Heck I'll be glad to take them off the hands of their current owners. Especially since these "barrels suck" and "are worthless" anyways. Shoot, I'd give them some good money (10 bucks? 20 bucks?) for those barrels. Then I'd put them on rifles and have a field day!

But that's just me!
grin.gif