• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Absolute Best Red Dot and Magnifier Setup for AR-15’s with Pictures and opinions…Please!

cschastain2

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2018
    Fort Worth Texas
    I’d love to hear and see pictures of what folks here feel is their favorite setup for the combination. Eotech, Aimpoint with mounting options and why?
    Thank you!

Before I switched over to a LPVO I was running aimpoint, dot and magnifier, both on LaRue QD mounts and had zero complaints. I only switched away due to my astigmatism - the dot and magnifier at distance just didnt work with my eyes.

Reactions: cschastain2
    The best combo I've seen after testing quite a few options is an Eotech XPS3 (Mind you there are some durability questions with this optic so ymmv) Unity tactical riser and Aimpoint 3x magnifier (Get a new one not one of their older versions) in the Unity flip to center mount.

I know you didn’t ask about LPVO’s but I’m a huge proponent of the Steiner P4xi 1-4x. It’s cheap, very durable and daytime bright. Throw it in a 1.93 or 2.04 mount and you’ve got yourself a 90% solution on the CQB side of the house while getting some extra magnification and a better reticle for distance.

Thanks keep them coming!
    I’d like to have CQB/NV compatibility too like on the EOTECH XPS3…I have one of those…It’s excellent…I’m just wondering about others…Aimpoint Comp5 etc? Maybe others…for another AR-15 KAC CQB 11.5?
    Thanks!

Comp M5
    Leupold LCO
    Eotech EXPS3

Unity mounts

FAST-Aimpoint-Magnifier-Mount-Behind.jpg
    FAST-EOTech-G33-Magnifier-Mount-Up-Down-2.jpg

FAST-Aimpoint-Magnifier-Mount-UpDown.jpg

FAST-Aimpoint-Magnifier-Mount-SL1.jpg

FAST-Aimpoint-Magnifier-Mount-SL2.jpg

opplanet-unity-tactical-optics-riser-platform-fde-fst-orf-main-1

FAST-Riser-LCO-1-510x339__85199.1558536175.jpg

Imo you want the EXPS3 if you are using a magnifier. It has the controls on the side vs the back.
    71MPw1+mXAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

As far as what you want out of your dot/holographic is up to you. Those are all excellent and offer different pros.

As far as the magnifiers themselves look at aimpoints and eotechs newest offerings. Look at the eye relief.

Comp M5
    Leupold LCO
    Eotech EXPS3

Unity mounts

FAST-Aimpoint-Magnifier-Mount-Behind.jpg
    FAST-EOTech-G33-Magnifier-Mount-Up-Down-2.jpg

FAST-Aimpoint-Magnifier-Mount-UpDown.jpg

FAST-Aimpoint-Magnifier-Mount-SL1.jpg

FAST-Aimpoint-Magnifier-Mount-SL2.jpg

opplanet-unity-tactical-optics-riser-platform-fde-fst-orf-main-1

FAST-Riser-LCO-1-510x339__85199.1558536175.jpg

Imo you want the EXPS3 if you are using a magnifier. It has the controls on the side vs the back.
    71MPw1+mXAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

As far as what you want out of your dot/holographic is up to you. Those are all excellent and offer different pros.

As far as the magnifiers themselves look at aimpoints and eotechs newest offerings. Look at the eye relief.
    Outstanding Post!!!

Thanks! Perfect

I’ve compared the aimpoint (old and new) with the eotech magnifiers. The eotech has a really nice minimal footprint but the aimpoint has a much better field of view and the glass clarity is noticeably better.

The two above with the FDE rubber cover mounted to the Unity Tactical Micro mount pictured are the Micro T-2…Correct?

How is the Aimpoint COMPM5 compare to the Micro T-2?

7075 aluminum (m5) vs 6061 (t2)
    AAA battery vs cr2032
    M5b has ballistic drop compensation knob
    M5 according to aimpoint has slightly better glass and dot clarity.
    T2 is 2oz lighter
    Etc

Either is fantastic. Look at the features and layout and decide.

Aimpoint T1 or T2 or even a H1/H2 and either a Aimpoint 3x magnifier or the Eotech.

The Eotech is a "holographic" site, not a red dot. If we're getting into details. I do like the Eotech very much but the battery life and reliability of the Aimpoint is too much to over look. You can do a PRO if you prefer for whatever reason(s).

I do prefer the flip to side vs. the twist off only because you can easily flip to the side and not worry about your magnifier unlike the twist to remove which then you have to put somewhere. Also, at least in my case, the Eotech glass is better than the Aimpoint in the 3X magnifier.

All magnifiers make the dots look much better. Including the holograph in the Eotech.

IMG_6281.JPG

IMG_6280.JPG

IMG_3421.JPG

IMG_3420.JPG

I have the EXPS3-4 and Holosun HS503 ACSS, either can be paired with a vortex micro 3X. I find myself using the HS503 more because it is much lighter. However, if I’m going into a combat zone or need to use night vision then I will pick the Eotech for its toughness and lens clarity.
    What I’m trying to say is that there’s no absolute best of anything. It’s about trade offs and what’s more important to you.

Can confirm, I have the EXPS3-4 and G33 with the unity mount package and it is awesome.