• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Absophuquckinglutely Amazing

memtb

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2020
Winchester, Wÿ
Watched my old hometown news from last night. Power out, getting cold. People are leaving their homes to go to a motel.... how is a motel gonna stay warm with no power? Shows people lined-up, filling small suv’s and cars with firewood! I’m guessing they have someplace to burn the firewood! I can’t believe the lack of preparation!!!
whistle

If you have a fireplace, it’s winter time.....wouldn’t it be wise to have a small stack of firewood?
mad
It would be like going to the grocery store daily, and buying just enough food for one frigging meal! I’m dumbfounded! memtb

FIL's brother who live LLano, TX where it is currently 8 degrees and has been without power for two days. Running temporary power off his rig welder for heat but pipes frozen. He grew up in the country and an outdoorsman so he knows how to survive but still not easy.

Ita more than just Biden voters. People in general in cities lack preparedness for most everything. Hell, I have friends that don't even have a fireplace in their house. Such is life.
Shit, I live in a small town and my 40 y.o. house d/n have a fireplace. 100% elec.. Got a gen. though. I do have a fire pit close, so I guess I could stack a chord or two, but, I would have to stand outside and I think that would defeat the purpose. Mac

Reactions: memtb
It's more than just Biden voters. People in general in cities lack preparedness for most everything. Hell, I have friends that don't even have a fireplace in their house. Such is life.
Can't plan past today.
Waiting for someone else to fix shit for them.
Useless as tits on a boar.
Sounds like Biden voters to me...

R

Could always burn toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and masks
Depends on the order you do it in.
Damn shame she was a looker.
You drink the hand sanitizer for the alcohol.

A buddy and I were walking around lower Manhattan circa 1968 and found a bum frozen stiff clutching a bottle of Vitalis.

Use your last bit of phone charge to search fire backstop. It will reflect that heat back towards you. Another behind you and you can stay warm in some really low temps.
Shit, I live in a small town and my 40 y.o. house d/n have a fireplace. 100% elec.. Got a gen. though. I do have a fire pit close, so I guess I could stack a chord or two, but, I would have to stand outside and I think that would defeat the purpose. Mac
PXL_20201122_020223264.MP.jpg

The winter time configuration for our fire pit. Works great at deflecting the heat towards you.

Last edited:
Wood stove , Mr Heater , Heater Buddy and a generator . I live in the Northeast and when they call for snow I move extra wood to the carport just in case . Hell I even keep a few bags of hand warmers on hand . The time to get warm is not when your freezin your ass off . Cuz fuck that one up and die .

A buddy and I were walking around lower Manhattan circa 1968 and found a bum frozen stiff clutching a bottle of Vitalis.
This happens regularly in the winter months of Farmington, NM. Hand sanitizer, cologne, rubbing alcohol my buddy (firefighter) has seen it all over the last 10 years. Primarily homeless Navahos.

I caught a patient once opening the hand sanitizer dispensers in the hall. he had a hospital cup (the double wall plastic ones with the straw) about 1/2 full and was mixing fruit juices from the patient fridge with them.
We can't really removed sanitizer, so dude had to have a sitter. A bad alcoholic, and was too sick to turn loose. Usually we find someone using we just send em out.
Had more than one "oops" from visitors bringing goods in. Nothin like a little cocaine, meth, or heroin when you are sick enough to be admitted to the hospital....

Dude. We can see you neighbors house.
And another in the reflection on the windows.
You could darn near piss in his Cheerios from your driveway.
not exactly BFE

surprising how warm 38 feels after being outside a lot at -8 on Sunday AM though.

Back then pink t-shirts on bums from making "squeeze" with Sterno was a common sight in county hospitals as well.

Propane stove as back up in the house. Wood stove in the shop. One I put a addition on the house. I will put a wood stove in there. House is setup that I can drain the water lines easily. I have frost frees outside dug down 6feet on the place so I can still have water. Generator back up. A few cords stored in one of the out buildings. Extra diesel on hand to keep the tractor going if I have to plow. Studded and sipped tires on the truck. Extra gas on hand for the truck and car. A bunch of spare food in the pantry in case the weather gets bad and we can’t drive to town for a few weeks or more. That’s not prepping. That’s just being ready for a Montana winter. It’s normal here to lose power. Lots of people didn’t have power for 3 or 4 days after a recent wind storm. Everyone just hunkers down for a bit and then goes about there life. It’s tough on people that aren’t used to it though. Catches them by surprise and they don’t know what to do.

I dont have a fireplace either, on post housing. However I do have a generator and space heaters.......

Doc
Thats understandable. For my own example I'll use one of my buddies is TX that has a brand new home finished in 2019. No fireplace. Overall build quality is reasonably OK, not best or worst I've seen. Track homes that were essentially rushed to get built "to code" and sold as quick as possible. That aside, he has a generator he's never even taken out of the box, no gasoline or oil for it, etc. He bought the thing a year ago when the lockdowns first started, didn't buy (and still hasn't bought) guns or ammo because, spends probably at least $600/mo on cigarettes and alcohol (very conservative estimate)....he says "that's why I have you as a friend". I told him straight out he's an idiot and his priorities of work are completely off and when shit truly hits the fan, I'm gonna be somewhere else not in the middle of a residential area where all the idiots are.

"Fuck dude, why you gotta be so harsh? I know being brutally honest is your thing, but why don't you be nice about things sometimes like other people."

Me: "Because the real world is full of stupid shit, and doesn't sugar coat it. That's why you have me as a friend."

Last edited:
Thats understandable. For my own example I'll use of my my buddies is TX that has a brand new home finished in 2019. No fireplace. Overall build quality is reasonably OK, not best or worst I've seen. Track homes that were essentially rushed to get built "to code" and sold as quick as possible. That aside, he has a generator he's never even taken out of the box, no gasoline or oil for it, etc. He bought the thing a year ago when the lockdowns first started, didn't buy (and still hasn't bought) guns or ammo because, spends probably at least $600/mo on cigarettes and alcohol (very conservative estimate)....he says "that's why I have you as a friend". I told him straight out he's an idiot and his priorities of work are completely off and when shit truly hits the fan, I'm gonna be somewhere else not in the middle of a residential area where all the idiots are.

"Fuck dude, why you gotta be so harsh? I know being brutally honest is your thing, but why don't you be nice about sometimes like other people."

Me: "Because the real world is full of stupid shit, and that's why you have me as a friend."
THIS^^^^
Fairly close friends, my sister even my own mother all say they are coming to my house if SHTF. I tell them all, except my mother, to not show up without all of their blankets, sleeping bags, food, spare water, meds, antibiotics, disinfectants, tents, firewood, fuel, ammo, firearms and such. And an attitude that they are going to be pulling shifts on guard duty, chopping wood. trips to the river to get water, manning the fire and purifying water, etc , otherwise just shelter in place and I will check in once in a while, if I can, maybe. They have to be ready to contribute rather than be just another burden.
My closest friends know how to get into my safe and where the ammo stash is, etc.
My best friend has a place for his small family and a few very close friends out far from towns with a spring and lots of standing dead timber. I have a key to all the locks there.
I have been ridiculed for about 4 decades as being a "prepper" and having a bad attitude. 2020 arrives and all of a sudden my perception of the world is far more acceptable...even to my mother! I have had long phone calls with cousins and aunts and uncles and friends about what they should be buying. I tell them but remind them that they are closing the gate after the cows got out.

Watched my old hometown news from last night. Power out, getting cold. People are leaving their homes to go to a motel.... how is a motel gonna stay warm with no power? Shows people lined-up, filling small suv’s and cars with firewood! I’m guessing they have someplace to burn the firewood! I can’t believe the lack of preparation!!!
whistle

If you have a fireplace, it’s winter time.....wouldn’t it be wise to have a small stack of firewood?
mad
It would be like going to the grocery store daily, and buying just enough food for one frigging meal! I’m dumbfounded! memtb

It would be like going to the ammo store daily, and buying just enough ammo for one range trip! I’m dumbfounded!

They're the same people on this site that wait until AFTER an election to look for ammo............

Reactions: Mater2009