• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

? abt M40 barrels

Mike_in_FL

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 29, 2008
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Is there any reference book with details what manufacturer's barrels were used in the course of history from M40 - M40A5? I'm curious if it has always been a contractual thing or if Quantico could order from multiple sources based on need. Thanks for any info you can shed on this.

Re: ? abt M40 barrels

Douglas for M40-M40A1 and Schneider for the others. There are several threads about this on here and I would recommend using the Google site search located on the right side.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nomore606</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Douglas for M40-M40A1 and Schneider for the others. There are several threads about this on here and I would recommend using the Google site search located on the right side. </div></div>

If there are several threads it would be nice if you'd have posted one or given terms to use in the search. The Google site search is what's in my signature, but thanks anyway. I guess I'll get the Senich book.

Remington then Douglas for the M40. The early A1s it was Bill Atcheson of Atcheson and Marquart. Later sold to HS precison. After Bill's death I think. I do know that in the 1980 era, those barrels were about unobtainable. Then Mr. Schneider came along. I would guess Gary could really give the details if he would and he is very nice and helpful when you call so likely he would. BTW, I once ask Gary who made the best M40. He said the USMC! I guess they make the only M40.

Thank you. There's a ton of info on this site about people building these and the gyrations of getting the correct # range of receiver and a return stock. Yet when they mention barrels they only seem to care about the contour. I think I've only read of one build here that actually used a Douglas barrel.

The M40's were initially all Remington made. There has been some recent proof that Atkinson supplied some blanks for rebarreling some M40's.

Read the first page of the M40A1 thread for barrel makers. Atkinson, HS Precision, Douglas, Hart and Schneider.(not necessarily in that order) Think Gary has pretty much been the supplier since the end of the A1 and through current?

Rem barrels in 1966 and then Remington and Douglas 1967/1968/1969, ETC...

R&D on the M40A1 began in 1972 with Gale McMillan and Bill Atkinson. I also talked to a few people that said Bill Atkinson was already getting involved with the upgrade to M40A1 before R&D started in 1972 w/ Gale McMillan...

I have also come across info from more than a few sources that state some Douglas and Hart barrels were used on M40A1's.

Also as far as I know, Schneider has been the supplier since the end of the M40A1's.

All three of Senich's book are a must have for anyone interested in this stuff as well as "The Remington 700" by John F. Lacy

I apologize for the harsh comment I was using my less than par smart phone and dealing with idiots at work. My M40 replica does have a Douglas barrel on it but if you are looking for information regarding authentic parts then I would tell you to probably call Mike at Texas Brigade Armory he is one of the leading subject matter experts on this and the M70. Unfortunately I did not get the opportunity to use a 6 digit receiver on mine (I was having it built while I was in Afghanistan) and went with a new 7 digit with a modified shroud but everything else is to spec if you would like to get photos of mine. Again, I apologize for the bad comment earlier.