• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accessories make the outfit...

joelinux

hed weezul
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2019
Hello you wonderful peoples!

So, as I've posted in previous posts, I'm a beginner, and I have a plan:

I'm starting out with a Ruger Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm going to get as good as I can with that rifle, then eventually move up to something much more ELR/ULR (Either a .375CT or .416B).

Buuuut, my wife has stated that I can only keep one rifle at a time, so, in an attempt to avoid re-buying equipment, I need equipment that can be useful for the 6.5CM as well as the ELR/ULR I will eventually buy.

I've settled on a Nightforce ATACR 7-35×56 F1 for my scope, as I've been told it will be useful at ELR/ULR, as well as (overkill?) 6.5CM.

Now, I need to know about the rest of my equipment:

Scope rings (should that be in the Scope thread area?)
Rear bags
Bipod
Mat (If that makes a difference?)
Ballistic Calculator? (I understand some break down at ELR/ULR)
Spotting Scope (I plan on doing this with a buddy)

I also want to know if it is worth it to try to get an internal laser boresight, or if a front barrell-mounted one is "close enough" If so, which should i get for the 6.5CM?

Reactions: seansmd
I'm not sure about "keeping" one rifle at a time but if you are only allowed on rifle look at a Savage. You can swap barrels and bolt heads relatively easy

Reactions: The DFC
^^^^^Exactly-or an Accuracy International. Point is you can adhere to the 1 rifle only rule but can have more than 1 caliber by swapping barrels easily. LMT for a gasser does same thing.

Tough crowd.

The hide is a pretty dangerous place nowadays to put out any kind of personal or emotional posts :ROFLMAO:

OP, if you're wife is being that painful.... Look at:
- AI AXMC (this is the long action version) (308 bolt face with short action conversion kit, up to 338 variants)
- DTA (308 bolt face up to 338 variants with some chatter about a .223 bolt face mod but I don't think it ever really took off)
- Barrett MRAD (308 bolt face up to 338 variants)

Buy one of those and have multiple barrels so you can cover most bases.

None of those are really what most would consider 'ULR' but it depends how much money you want to spend on rounds.

Like the others have said... Might need to re-assert yourself here, one rifle is outrageous.

I'm not sure about "keeping" one rifle at a time but if you are only allowed on rifle look at a Savage. You can swap barrels and bolt heads relatively easy
Does 6.5CM, but not .375CT or .416B
Barrett MRAD
Does none of the caliber I'm looking at...
^^^^^Exactly-or an Accuracy International. Point is you can adhere to the 1 rifle only rule but can have more than 1 caliber by swapping barrels easily. LMT for a gasser does same thing.
Also does none of the calibers I'm looking at.

Closest is DT HTI, but they don't have a completely modular system that does both 6.5CM and .375CT/.416B.

I'm fairly committed to the 6.5CM, then .375CT/.416B, unless a new cartridge comes along that takes it by storm.

I want to train for the REALLY long distances eventually, so .308/.338 are not in my future.

So, ignoring the rifle/scope, I'll reiterate:

I need equipment that is good for 6.5CM, but can also be used when I get my .375CT/.416B rifle:

Rear bags
Bipod

Rifle: DTA HTI for the larger barrels but you can't shoot short action from this.... You'll need to have a stealth rifle, or your buddy can 'own it' :p

Scope - NF ATACR 7-35, Spuhr mount, Tremor 3 reticle.
Bipod - Atlas PSR, does the job with aftermarket claws and spikes available
Mat - Worth getting, lots available. Depends on how bulky you want it. I use a SORD / Low Vis Gear - Enhanced Shooting Mat.
Calculator - Ballistic ARC or Applied Ballistic, ARC is my go to with some really slick features
Spotting Scope - Depends how deep your pockets are, I'm waiting for Nightforce to release one of theirs with a reticle. Swaro make some excellent spotters with lots of modularity but they are $.

Does 6.5CM, but not .375CT or .416B

Does none of the caliber I'm looking at...

Also does none of the calibers I'm looking at.

Closest is DT HTI, but they don't have a completely modular system that does both 6.5CM and .375CT/.416B.

I'm fairly committed to the 6.5CM, then .375CT/.416B, unless a new cartridge comes along that takes it by storm.

I want to train for the REALLY long distances eventually, so .308/.338 are not in my future.

So, ignoring the rifle/scope, I'll reiterate:

I need equipment that is good for 6.5CM, but can also be used when I get my .375CT/.416B rifle:

Rear bags
Bipod

The mrad, dt srs and the ai axmc will all do the creedmoor. You could run the 37xc in them as well which isn't far from the 375 cheytac but are single feed only.

Spuhr is the gold standard for scope mounts if you don't care about weight. The Atlas CAL is a superb bipod for all around use and would be great on a 6.5. Neither will necessarily translate to ELR; the scope mount is likely going to need more inbuilt cant, and many in ELR use bipods like the Phoenix Precision that are pretty unwieldy for a lighter rifle.

We will say now that you should buy for what you are doing now, and all this stuff will hold value and can be sold in the future. You will then say that's just not your way and you want things equally suited to 100 yards and 2000, and we will call you a troll.
maxresdefault.jpg

Maybe just limit her to one piece of the bikini. Completely fair and a win for you.
Did you tell her that she can only have one purse at a time?
Bad position to take in this argument. She bargain shops. In 10 years of marriage, she has MAYBE spent $600 on purses, and $500 or so on shoes.

The plus side is that she bargain shops. If I could find a way to channel that energy into looking for cheap ammo....

Reactions: Near miss
Bad position to take in this argument. She bargain shops. In 10 years of marriage, she has MAYBE spent $600 on purses, and $500 or so on shoes.

The plus side is that she bargain shops. If I could find a way to channel that energy into looking for cheap ammo....

Go shopping with her and get what she really wants even if cuts into your mad money. The next time you want something there should be no issue, if there is trade her in.

Reactions: 0dd
Go shopping with her and get what she really wants even if cuts into your mad money. The next time you want something there should be no issue, if there is trade her in.
The ratio would not even be close. At that exchange rate, in two months, I could get 50 rounds of 6.5 Creedmoor. Maybe.

The phrase "you don't know what you don't know" comes to mind

Get a Desert tech SRS. Can shoot .223-338 lapua. Sell it when you can make consistent hits out to the max range of the 338.

Reactions: Jeeper48
SRS costs about 4k. Rounds are $4-5.

RPR gen 3 is around $1600, 6.5CM are around $1.

SRS costs about 4k. Rounds are $4-5.

RPR gen 3 is around $1600, 6.5CM are around $1.
Once again that phrase lol
You can get an SRS in .223, 308, 6.5, 300WM, 300NM, 338LM etc. So anywhere from $0.25-$5+ per shot.

And you can find used ones for $3000. You can find gen 1s for $2000 or less.

And lol at bitching about buying a desert tech but wanting to shoot .375/.408

Lol

Right now you are racing go carts on a dirt path behind your house and talking about moving up to Formula 1. Nothing wrong with go carts, nothing wrong with Formula 1. Just nothing in common. Your go cart parts are not going to interchange with you F1 setup. Enjoy what you are doing and good luck with your plans.

Right now you are racing go carts on a dirt path behind your house and talking about moving up to Formula 1. Nothing wrong with go carts, nothing wrong with Formula 1. Just nothing in common. Your go cart parts are not going to interchange with you F1 setup. Enjoy what you are doing and good luck with your plans.
I dunno. I've gotten a lot of good advice on this so far. It doesn't seem impossible, and the people that have responded not disparagingly have given me good pointers. It may not be how you, or even most people go about it, but it does seem possible, and enough people have messaged me privately to encourage me.
Isn't this the 3rd or forth thread about the same thing you have posted? You obviously already know what you want, so just go do it. You don't seem to want to take the advice of folks giving it, so all the best in your journey.
Actually, if you note, each post was about a specific thing.

I posted in the rifle section about rifles.
I posted in the scope section about scopes.
I posted in this section once I had my rifle and scope figured out.
I posted in The Bear Pit because it seemed like fun. :)

You do not know, but many of us do know. This thread has all the logic of the ones about shooting your iron sighted 30/30 at 50 yards and wanting to know how that relates to shooting at 2000 yards with a .338 LM.

You do not know, but many of us do know. This thread has all the logic of the ones about shooting your iron sighted 30/30 at 50 yards and wanting to know how that relates to shooting at 2000 yards with a .338 LM.
LOL...I originally wanted to just jump into .375/.416, so that I could learn proper technique in everything, but people in other threads said I should go with a 6.5, shooting at a fair distance (1000 yards or so), then make the jump to .375/.416 when I have proper shooting form.

Their reasoning was that learning proper form at $7-8 a round made no financial sense.

So, it appears that on this board, it's "damned if you do, damned if you don't"

am I the only one here who thinks this dude is a 16 year kid living in his moms basement? every single fucking post is a jumble fuck of nonsense and no progress has ever been made
Actually, no, if you follow the posts, I started out with a wrong approach, corrected to learn on the 6.5CM, and am now trying to get the support equipment lined up. Keep up.

Actually, no, if you follow the posts, I started out with a wrong approach, corrected to learn on the 6.5CM, and am now trying to get the support equipment lined up. Keep up.
even in JUST THIS THREAD you're ignoring everything. like a fucking kid would. because you can't read and only your opinion is right

people try to help, but when you're a little shit it's hard to keep trying after like 6 threads that all all basically identical and you arent even asking real questions just 'hey wtf do you like?' there are dozens of options. narrow it down and figure out what you actually want and maybe you'll get a real answer

Reactions: AMGtuned
even in JUST THIS THREAD you're ignoring everything. like a fucking kid would. because you can't read and only your opinion is right

people try to help, but when you're a little shit it's hard to keep trying after like 6 threads that all all basically identical and you arent even asking real questions just 'hey wtf do you like?' there are dozens of options. narrow it down and figure out what you actually want and maybe you'll get a real answer
lol...If I listened to what everyone has said so far, I'd own 9 different rifles in 4 different calibers.

Like I started this thread out:

I'm getting a Gen 3 Ruger Precision Rifle and a Nightforce ATACR 7-35x56 F1. I've made my mind up on this.

From there, I need information on the support equipment. Some people above have been very helpful in providing input and starting points to look at what I need.

Be like them.

Be more signal, and less noise.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
lol...If I listened to what everyone has said so far, I'd own 9 different rifles in 4 different calibers.

Like I started this thread out:

I'm getting a Gen 3 Ruger Precision Rifle and a Nightforce ATACR 7-35x56 F1. I've made my mind up on this.

From there, I need information on the support equipment. Some people above have been very helpful in providing input and starting points to look at what I need.

Be like them.

Be more signal, and less noise.
there's dozens and dozens of each of these threads. do some research maybe you'd learn something instead of just buying shit because we tell you to. learn the pros and cons of each system

spuhr
gamechanger
atlas
kestrel
LRF bines

and never ever get a boresighter. theyre worthless

do some research maybe you'd learn something instead of just buying shit because we tell you to. learn the pros and cons of each system
Aaaand now you know why I started this thread.

I'm doing research.

Learning the pros and cons of each system from everyone else's experience. So, chime in! Let me know what your experience has been, what you would recommend, and why.
and never ever get a boresighter. theyre worthless
Now, that IS interesting.

I've been told that they get you onto paper at 100 yards without having to use ammo.

Are you in the same boat as @gunsnjeeps , where I should just pull the bolt and sight it down the barrel?

I'm doing research.

Learning the pros and cons of each system from everyone else's experience. So, chime in! Let me know what your experience has been, what you would recommend, and why.

I've been told that they get you onto paper at 100 yards without having to use ammo.

Are you in the same boat as @gunsnjeeps , where I should just pull the bolt and sight it down the barrel?
100% pull the bolt. that's the normal way to do it

research isnt done by making new threads. it's by looking at existing info and there is a plethora

spuhr: excellent machining. unlimited options for mounting
gamechanger: front and rear bag. multiple size weight material options
atlas: i have a PSR and a CAL on the way. tough as nails. will be getting a TBAC as well
kestrel: 4dof or AB take your pick
LRF Binos: 10x is more than enough for spotting and way more comfortable than a dedicated spotter. plus LRF duties

I'm doing research.

You will zero your rifle using far fewer $1 rounds than the $25-$100+ You would spend ona bore-sight that would very rarely get used.

A little friendly advice my father once told me. At the time I was dating a smoking hot girl who quite frankly wanted to live with her thumb on me always. My father asked me if I thought she was pretty I said hell yes... He said well guess what when she's fifty she's gonna be saggy worn out and still a bitch.

Live your life don't let someone else

If your pockets are deep enough to be looking at the calibers your looking at buy an AIAX and be done with it change calibers in about a minute to whatever you want. If money is an issue you need to stop dreaming of elr.

A little friendly advice my father once told me. At the time I was dating a smoking hot girl who quite frankly wanted to live with her thumb on me always. My father asked me if I thought she was pretty I said hell yes... He said well guess what when she's fifty she's gonna be saggy worn out and still a bitch.

Live your life don't let someone else

If your pockets are deep enough to be looking at the calibers your looking at buy an AIAX and be done with it change calibers in about a minute to whatever you want. If money is an issue you need to stop dreaming of elr.
First of all, thank you for being somewhat friendly.

I hear you, and that was my original approach (I was going to buy a DT HTI chambered in both .375CT and .416B.)

However, in the first thread I put out, they said I'd be spending the first 2-3000 rounds just learning how to shoot accurately out to 1000 rounds, and that I'd be better off burning that time on a substantially cheaper gun/round.

They stated that the supplemental skills need to be mastered first (windage, bullet drop charts, etc.) before I can think about going ELR/ULR. I can appreciate that.

So, I reformed my approach somewhat, which is why I started this thread:

Instead of jumping right to .375CT/.416B, I'm going to learn the skillset I need to on the 6.5CM RPR.

However, I know I'm not keeping it, and it won't be my final endpoint, so I'm going to get all the equipment around it to ensure that it can make the jump up to the .375CT/.416B.

Additionally, I've been reading that Cheytac is likely going to ramp up production of their .375. If that is the case, the decision is made. However, if not, I might be tempted to go with the .416B.

To add to the complication, I contacted Desert Tech, and found out that they are discontinuing the .416B barrel on their HTI, so that adds another wrinkle.

Of course, all this might be moot if the .224 Valkyrie takes over like I'm reading online. :p