• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

accidental fire

J1Rjr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2012
fort worth, tx
I have heard a few stories about loading a 700 and trying to unload it and the bolt actually firing your gun. Has anyone heard of this happening? I can't seem to find anything on it. Oh and its only on the newer 700 action.

Re: accidental fire

Search for "MSNBC Remington 700" and I'm sure you will get a slew of lefty bullshit about 700's shooting for no reason. However, you also have to watch Remington's response video. It shows that their tests concluded that people (not gunsmiths) were adjusting their triggers too lightly causing small jolts to make it fire. If you keep your muzzle pointed away from people you won't have this problem.....

Range stories or "scuttlebutt" as us Sailors call it, can take on many forms. Not to say the info you heard is not true, but it sounds like a mix of a couple of Remmy's black eye banter. Especially if it came from someone who hates Remington.

Many moons ago, the Remington receivers had a bolt lock, so in order to remove the cartridges you had to release the safety. This went away with mullet haircuts.

Over the last 20 or more years there have been cases of Remington triggers "accidentally" discharging when the safety was released, or other shooters accounts of their story. MSNBC did a story on it and it has been the subject of much debate.

The new xmark trigger has improved safety features and is not as easy to "tune" or bubba. This is another reason many folks do not like them, as the xmark tends to be heavy on the pull.

Other than that, if you have a credible source, let us know.

Being that they were stories at the range and the guy was shooting a 700, it had me a little skepticle. Especially cause he said he loved his new 700. But I just had to ask people that knew more about guns then just a guy at a range

I'm with the vote that the trigger was adjusted improperly. The old style triggers are easy to adjust with just a screw driver, and they work GREAT if you adjust them properly. Any trigger can do funky things if you mess up the sear adjustment or pull weight.

If you take it too light, you can fire the weapon without touching the trigger. In fact, you can fire it by dropping it on the butt, just messing the the safety or bumping it, or by running the bolt hard. Again, I see this as an issue with the user adjusting the setup improperly. No one wants to look foolish, so I'd wager those iffy adjustments stay quiet.

Don't get me wrong, there are always lemons and errors in human work, especially in mass produced work. Sear issues are possible of course.

I can say that I, or anyone I know, have never experienced such a failure (barring when adjusting the trigger and doing the safety checks of course). We don't have any mullet era triggers though either lol.

When I was adjusting my Howa 1500 trigger, I went so light that closing the bolt would make it fire. Of course I adjusted the trigger properly before ever putting a round in the chamber.

I can see how some this could happen by improper adjustment.

Search the TV sights. It was "covered", a few years ago. Might have been 60 Min., or 20/20. There was a "design flaw" in the original trigger. Some part loosened, and they "sometimes" went off, on their own. The Army did tests, Lawsuits flew, and the "liberal media" had a "ball", with it. Older guns, only. First long ranger, I bought, was a Remmy 700.That was AFTER I saw the "show". People get killed, when "people" get sloppy. How many deaths are being caused by "texting while driving"?

I had an AD a couple of years ago with my c. 1989 Varmint Special which I have owned since new. Trigger had loosened up. I had adjusted it when new many years ago, but had not touched it since. It was not super light, but apparently had loosened up in some 20 years of owning and shooting. It fired when I closed the bolt.

Pointed in a safe direction, downrange. Surprised the heck out of me. Had a gunsmith adjust and check, gun is fine, working well with a nice crisp pull now.

Rifles are mechanical devices. Mechanical devices fail. That's why we practice muzzle control. AD's happen. Period.

Have the gun checked over and adjusted by a competent gunsmith and resume using...

Ignore the media coverage. They are out to sell advertising space and sensational stories, not accurate facts about firearms, sell ad space.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Most of the AD's you hear about are due to dirty, un-serviced and poorly/improperly adjusted 700 triggers. I've owned/shot/worked on too many 700's to count and have never had an AD........ever!

I have seen 700 triggers so full of dried oil that you had to wonder how it even worked. Some of them even had the sear bar stuck in the side plates where a screw driver had to be used to get it out. This is where the problem lies. If the sear bar cant fully re-set properly this will cause a partial at best reset and subsequent AD or ND.

Flush and clean your triggers with brake parts cleaner and air, then with lighter fluid, keep the oil out of them.

I would have to say it's people setting there trigger way to light. I have a Older Mossberg that I can set the trigger to go off just by thinking about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snowdin5000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would have to say it's people setting there trigger way to light. I have a Older Mossberg that <span style="font-weight: bold"> I can set the trigger to go off just by thinking about it.</span> </div></div>

The force is strong in this one
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of the AD's you hear about are due to dirty, un-serviced and poorly/improperly adjusted 700 triggers. I've owned/shot/worked on too many 700's to count and have never had an AD........ever!

I have seen 700 triggers so full of dried oil that you had to wonder how it even worked. Some of them even had the sear bar stuck in the side plates where a screw driver had to be used to get it out. This is where the problem lies. If the sear bar cant fully re-set properly this will cause a partial at best reset and subsequent AD or ND.

Flush and clean your triggers with brake parts cleaner and air, then with lighter fluid, keep the oil out of them. </div></div>

This was also the case with my rifle. Besides the trigger being too light and the adjustment working loose, it was "nicely lubed" with hard, useless, gummy 20-year-old lubricant. I kept the barrel and bolt nice and clean, but never bothered with the trigger group. It lived very happily in its stock, out of sight, out of mind. As a varmint rifle, it only came out a few times a year for coyotes or woodchucks in my fields. Always cleaned after a shot or two, but not stripped down and never totally cleaned at the trigger level.

The sad part is that my duty rifles, I clean front to back, top to bottom and on schedule and duly logged in my data book. This personal rifle did not get the attention it should have. Just dumb and I should have known better!

WNROSCOE has very, very good advice for folks here.

Cheers,

Sirhr

My dad had an accidental discharge with an older 700 BDL in 7mm rem mag back in the mid 80's. He had kept his rifle loaded, including a bullet in the chamber, during the drive back to camp from his blind. When he got back to camp he went to unload the rifle and it went off when he flipped the safely to "fire" so the bolt could be cycled. He had a nice 7mm hole in the roof of his truck as a reminder.

I had this happen on a very very high end custom Rem 700 rifle that I own. When I got it, everything was fine, but after about 300 rounds, I guess things smoothed off and the sear engagement was not enough, and it would start to discharge if you pulled the bolt knob up halfway while a round was in it. Over a few weeks it got worse to the point that it would go off if you turned the safety from safe to fire. The trigger is a Shileen I believe. I took the rifle apart, cleaned the trigger, and adjusted the sear engagement, and tested by slapping it around, cycling hard, and turning off safety while pushing on end of bolt. Now everything is great. It was just too too light and not enough sear. Funny part is, after doing this, my groups improved because the trigger is more predictable and is a tiny bit heavier.

I plan on testing all my rifles for sear engagement every 6 months, just in case things wear or smooth out. I doubt there is any need, as I've never had a problem with other rifles that were set properly in over 6 years. I think this rifle just needed more and will be fine now forever.