• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Accidental paint job pattern

callen3615

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Peidmont, NC
So I bought this hs precision stock from a member on here, it was unused except for the OD krylon on it. I thought it would be easy to get off, little did I know.

I scrubbed on it for maybe an hour before I gave up. I tried acetone, brake cleaner, and gas. Nothing would get it off.

Anyway, I became frustrated with it and left it alone for about an hour. I came back later and washed it off and low and behold it had this sweet pattern on it, green speckled on black.

100_2533.jpg

100_2532.jpg

I think it looks pretty cool so Im gonna leave it, that and I dont think I can get it off.
wink.gif

Re: Accidental paint job pattern

yeah it gives it a different look. i cant believe that with all that it still didnt come off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rware91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah it gives it a different look. i cant believe that with all that it still didnt come off. </div></div>

I know, and after all its just normal krylon.

looks cool.

If you really want it off go to wal mart and buy some citri-strip. That stuff will jet krylon with a quickness. I used it on a scope recently after rubbing for hours with acetone, alcohol, mineral spirits whatever I could find...citristrip did the whole thing clean as a whistle in the time it took me to get 2 inches done with the other stuff.

Laquer thinner and a green 3M pad will work wonders. Don't bother with alcohol or mineral spirits.

Try a product called "TAL". It's an aircraft finish remover available at most auto parts stores. Eats the paint but has never damaged my bluing or anodizing. Recommend you test it on a hidden spot in the barrel channel before going crazy.

looks nice. i think your too close for the camera to focus. look at the last pic. its focusing way back on the stock pack. shoot it from the side, stand back further and use the zoom.

arent your rings supposed to tighten on the other side of the rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks nice. i think your too close for the camera to focus. look at the last pic. its focusing way back on the stock pack. shoot it from the side, stand back further and use the zoom.

arent your rings supposed to tighten on the other side of the rifle? </div></div>

I will agree with the focusing issues. My Nikon D3000 with kit 18-55m lens will focus I believe four inches in front of the outermost lens, and that's pretty awesome for a non-macro zoom lens. Lenses with longer focal lengths (and just plain lower quality) will generally have a much longer minimum focusing distance.

Oh, and awesome accidental paint job.
wink.gif