• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

accidentally mushroomed a case. found a way to fix it if it happens to you

long range newbie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2013
Oregon
well I was loosening the die to put on a 7-08 fl die but someone forgot to tighten it down.... so when it came to seating the bullet I did the same as normal I started high and lowered it slowly. but then I was happy I got the right length when I noticed it was mushroomed. My dad fixed the seater and since it was loaded round we put it in the 7-08 fl die since it was a 260 and it pushed the mushroom in and when we shoot it, it should be good. Its a light load of 38grs with a 129gr sst boat tail just to get it fit to the chamber. (I sized down 308- 7-08- 260 and it leaves a tiny shoulder and after I shoot it the neck gets longer) So basically If you mushroom and case you can either take all apart and size it again or use a bigger die with the mandrall taken out( the center part whatever its called, with the de primer thing) and size it slowly and make sure you don't just make it worse so go part in and take it out and only enough to make it fit in the chamber.

On the occasions that I have done this, I just take the whole round apart as I don't like messing with fully loaded rounds and try to "reshape" them. While I know that it should be safe to do so, I just start over as knowing my luck something would go wrong.

Now this is a mushroom. ;)

5kwl.jpg

Thrusty, leave that on your bench. It would make a great conversation piece!