• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Accu-trigGer problem

916dude!

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2009
Sacramento,CA
My savage 10 has an accutrigger and it is so light it constantly miss-fires. It will also miss-fire is I cycle my bolt some-what aggressively. What can or should I do to fix it. Ps- I'm a newbe and bought the rifle used. Thanks in advance for your help
smile.gif

Re: Accu-trigGer problem

the accutrigger comes set at the lowest, which should be 1.5 pounds. i would be really worried about the misfires enough to call savage and ask about warranty work on the action. that being said, you can adjust the trigger yourself with a screwdriver.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun_reviews/savage_0813/

this shows the adjustment screw. but still even at 1.5 lbs, ive never had a misfire like yiou describe

Use the supplied tool and adjust the trigger about 1/8 of a turn. Mine did the same thing. The only way it would cock was by having the safety on before closing the bolt.

he bought it used, bet he didnt get the tool. call savage, they should help you out... 413-568-7001

Well guys, I couldn't wait until after work to tinker with it so I hope I'm not late to work now! LOL Anyway, I have descovered I am missing the ajustment screw! The diagram and acticle was very helpful! Thanks again! Now I just need to find a new screw! Brownells.....?

If you call Savage they may throw you one in the mail for free.

Brownells would be a good place to try if they didn't help you.

Just to clarify, the "adjustment screw" isn't a screw at all, but rather the tightly wound tail end of the return spring. The adjustment tool is a slotted 3/32" bar that grabs the absolute tail end of this spring; allowing you to turn the whole spring in or out of the threaded whole in the rear of the trigger "T". If you were missing this "adjustment screw", the whole spring would have fallen from the trigger long ago. It is possible to damage this spring by over tightening it. If yours is damaged, call savage for a replacement (and get an adjustment tool from them if you don't already have one).

Please review the following paragraph from the above linked article for adjustment information.

"To adjust the AccuTrigger pull weight, simply remove the two pillar-bedding stock screws, lift off the stock, and insert the tool supplied with the rifle into the bottom of the trigger return spring, engaging the spring-tail with the slot on the tool. For a heavier pull, turn the tool clockwise. Maximum trigger pull (nominally six pounds) comes when the spring "clicks" when rotated. For a lighter pull, turn the tool counter-clockwise. Minimum pull (nominally 1.5 pounds) is at the point when the large coil contacts the top surface of the trigger and you detect resistance. If you try to force the spring beyond these limits, you won't create any danger, but you'll destroy the spring and the pull will feel lousy."

Savage sent the tool for free and the trigger works like a charm! Thanks for all the help guys!