• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy and repeatability of Giraud Case Trimmer

Firemarshall27

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2003
Stoutsville, Ohio,
How does the Accuracy and repeatability of Giraud Case Trimmer compair to that of Sinclair/wilson Ultimate case trimmer? I really like the Giraud I just wanna make sure its going to be accurate and make the necks 100% square before I spend $450+ on it.

Thanks, FM

Re: Accuracy and repeatability of Giraud Case Trimmer

Can't speak of Wilson/Gracey etc. with Giraud repeatability is acceptable not 100%. Different case's as well as the same lot
you set up for will yield different lenght's even if full resized. I found never set to minimum trim lenght pick something in the middle. Also use the same pressure and technique that will help get acceptable/repeatable results. The machine is one of the best if not the best just don't expect CNC machine results.

IMO the Giraud is the industry standard. It just don't get any better. Made in the USA, and built to last.

Anybody that shoots a high volume of CF rifle catridges should have one. I know at least 15 people personally that have one, including myself. All I can tell you is the time you save is a gamechanger.

As far as the above described inconsistancies ^^^ those are due to variables in the sizing process, or brass properties. The Giraud indexes off a fixed point - the shoulder, so as long as your die is cranking out consistant brass, you will get a consistant OAL. I have had zero probs with mine, and don't hear people griping about theres either.

Just my 0.02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Heavy Haulin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as the above described inconsistancies ^^^ those are due to variables in the sizing process, or brass properties. The Giraud indexes off a fixed point - the shoulder, so as long as your die is cranking out consistant brass, you will get a consistant OAL. I have had zero probs with mine, and don't hear people griping about theres either.</div></div>
I agree. If you run the same brand of brass, full length sized correctly, it will yield within .001", worst case .002". It is an awesome machine. It is the coolest reloading tool I own, and highly recommend it.

Jake is correct index's off shoulder if all shoulders are same you have it made as in FL resize. Where you run into variances is when you neck size and do not bump the shoulder back prior to running brass. Even though brass may have same lot shoulder growth varies. I also agree with Chad .001-.002 if you watch your p's and q's. If perfect is what your looking for I don't know if the machine exist's.

I've tried to trim neck sized brass, and each time they would not go into the case holder to trim. I have to FL size them to get them to trim.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've tried to trim neck sized brass, and each time they would not go into the case holder to trim. I have to FL size them to get them to trim. </div></div>

Yep depending on chamber some neck only will but most won't. All agree you must FL size to get good results anyway.

First post. Been reading and trying to learn on the margins for a few months.

I got a Giraud this past Dec set up for 260. After the first time I used it, I got on the phone and ordered case holders / head cutters for 223, 243 and 308.

I think the Giraud is 100% repeatable as long as you FL size correctly before hand. I just ran about 300 pieces of .308 brass through my giraud (100 Lapua and 200 WIN) and all were within .002 easily. Use the Hornady locking rings and once you get it set to where you want it, you can get back to exactly that setting the next time you use it after changing calibers.

Without the locking rings, you'll have to keep adjusting with practice brass to get it back to your trim length.

Get a Giraud and never look back.