• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy difference between 223 Wylde and 5.56 chambers

rcmigpilot

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2012
Louisiana
Back during the black Friday sale I ordered a 1-8 twist, 24" heavy profile prefit from Columbia River for one of my lesser (cheap) bolt actions. The factory barrel isn't bad, but it gets hot really fast and is a 1-9 twist. I just got the barrel (8-10 weeks turned into 4 months) and it isn't the 1-8 .223 Wylde chamber I ordered but a 1-8 5.56 chamber. I know the Wylde is a hybrid that will still shoot both .223 and 5.56 and is a little bit better with 5.56 than the standard chambers. I generally shoot .223 ammo, but want the option of using 5.56 so I ordered the Wylde chamber instead of .223. I won't be able to call Columbia till Monday so in the meantime I thought I'd get the hide's opinion on what I'd loose keeping the 5.56 vs the .223 Wylde. If its the difference between potentially shooting 1/2" groups with the Wylde and 3/4" with the 5.56 it won't be worth the trouble to get another barrel, but if the 5.56 will open up to 1" or more then maybe it's worth getting them to replace the barrel. My 20" Wylde chambered AR shoots 3/4" with Hornady black, but my 5.56s have shorter barrels and were never intended to be used for any precision shooting so I have nothing to compare to. The rifle is just a range toy that'll generally be used to shoot paper @ 100 and steel out to 600 yards, max, no competition or other serious shooting, but with that said, I want the rifle to be as accurate as possible.

Last edited:
I had a 5.56 chambered heavy varmint profile AR barrel that would group down in the .5-.6 range with relatively cheap components. I will say most bullets had a decent jump to keep me within mag length but I don’t think the chambering was the limiting factor on that rifle.

Reactions: HK-93