• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Accuracy difference between thread on and QD suppressors

Siso

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2002
WI
I have been thinking of getting a surefire 7.62 SOCOM for a .300 blackout. I'm wondering how well this suppressor would work for my GAP bolt rifle that shoots less then 1/2MOA. I know a thread on is supposed to be more accurate, but how much more? Will the SOCOM increase my group size 1/4 MOA? 1/2 MOA?

Last edited:
My YHM Titanium Phantom doesn't really to increase or decrease accuracy. That's all I got as I have don't own a thread on rifle can.

Lowlight had videos posted up with both thread mounted and QD or brake mounted cans. It is a good one to watch. If you still don't know what to do just KISS and get a direct thread can, lots of good choices out there.

i asked zak at TBAC and he said theres not a difference in the 30p-1 and 30BA. I went with the thread on to keep it simple.

I have a Brakeout on my .308 GAP that's being held on by the rocksett that came with it. My gunsmith mentioned that over torquing the mount or even the can would affect accuracy... based on another customer's experience.

I've shot a lil over 200 rounds so far and only difference is just the POI shift (1 inch at 6 o'clock), but the 5 shot group with 175gr is still under 1 moa.

^My experience too, so far, but listen to the testimonies about the AAC suppressors here. Make SURE you're getting one people are happy about. I already have some buyer's remorse for it. Only thing better about QD is the ability to swap suppressors on different threaded barrels with an appropriate brake mount, and people are happy about TBAC soo...

^My experience too, so far, but listen to the testimonies about the AAC suppressors here. Make SURE you're getting one people are happy about. I already have some buyer's remorse for it. Only thing better about QD is the ability to swap suppressors on different threaded barrels with an appropriate brake mount, and people are happy about TBAC soo...

I should mention too that I shot about 200 rounds with the can through the GAP and a couple hundred more (Over 200 rounds) with my Krinkov.

I'm happy with it :)

Had a conversation the other day with another shooter and he claimed that there was a loss in velocity due to the QD mount vs the thread on mount??? Had a hard time wrapping my head around his concept. Any thoughts?

Had a conversation the other day with another shooter and he claimed that there was a loss in velocity due to the QD mount vs the thread on mount??? Had a hard time wrapping my head around his concept. Any thoughts?

Wow! You know... I need to try this.... I have a chrono F1 and as soon as the weather permits me I'll try it out and see what I get with and without my SDN6 on the rifle.

Nothing wrong with running the thread on can on the 300 BO. QD has become far less necessary in my view after actually owning and shooting suppressors for a while. The QD is added weight and complexity for my needs

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I had always planned on getting QD for my semi autos. So I went ahead and ordered the 7.62 SOCOM. I guess my question is if I went ahead and ordered a Thunderbeast, what would I get for my money? Or should I just set up my GAP 6.5x47 to take the Surefire too? I don't want to spend the extra money on a precision can if I don't have to. But then again I don't want to set my GAP up with the Surefire, and have the groups go from 1/4 MOA to 3/4 MOA.

islandermyke how do you like your sdn-6? I have been looking at suppressors for my future 300blk 8" shorty. I like the size, decibel reduction rating on their website(39db), and price of the sdn-6. Although they look heavy. Also I may want to run it on my repr and maybe even on one of my 5sixers.
Oh and noveske says they tuned their 8" barrel to run with it and somewhat recommend it.:D

Last edited:
Siso...why do you need a QD mount? Reason being is that i used to think I'd want QD until getting to mess with suppressors on a regular basis. So far I don't see much use for the average shooter needing anything more than a direct thread system

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

After shooting my AX with the Surefire 762K can on it vs without, I cannot tell an accuracy difference at all. I also use the K can on a 14.5" AR and have no problems, the QD feature is great. Surefires attachment system is leaps and bounds better than AAC's thought of being.

After shooting my AX with the Surefire 762K can on it vs without, I cannot tell an accuracy difference at all. I also use the K can on a 14.5" AR and have no problems, the QD feature is great. Surefires attachment system is leaps and bounds better than AAC's thought of being.

Surefire QD cans are great, but they can be a bitch to get off if you let them get dirty. We did a torture test on a weapons system with a Surefire can and that thing was an absolute bitch to get off. We did though and it cleaned up fine. Several K of full auto fire in a single day.

Siso, your accuracy generally will be better with any suppressed rifle,however depending on the contour of your barrel, you can have some big differences in poa shift with either thread on or quick attach, this said depending on the rifle it is usually recommend to sight in how your going to shoot, so zero with suppressor and your good, then take it off and note the different poa, example on my 10" 300 blk with gemtech quicksand there is almost no poa shift between can on/off. Example 2 sames can on my 14.5 light daniel defense barrel there is 4" poa shift at 100 yds between can on/off, hope this helps.

islandermyke how do you like your sdn-6? I have been looking at suppressors for my future 300blk 8" shorty. I like the size, decibel reduction rating on their website(39db), and price of the sdn-6. Although they look heavy. Also I may want to run it on my repr and maybe even on one of my 5sixers.
Oh and noveske says they tuned their 8" barrel to run with it and somewhat recommend it.:D

I love mine... not just cause I bought it, but it really works for my systems (GAP rifle 22 Bartlein Barrel non-fluted, and a Krinkov in 5.45x39).
On the GAP; I had to polish up the adapter/Brakeout to get it to really lock up tight without wiggle. ON the Krink on the other had.. it wobbles like a son of a bitch.
Accuracy with the SDN6 is there with my 22 inch Bartlein. I get very well under a MOA at a hundred with it shooting 175gr SMK's.
As far as the decibels go.... the can is at the end of that barrel... I don't really think you'll notice. I sure didn't when i was shooting beside my buddy with his .308 suppressed with a YHM (a heavy can by the way).

Another thing I'm learning with these quick attachment mounts. They are a pain to clean!
If I had to do it all over again for a QD system.... I'd try one of these out, but I can't say much about the accuracy.... but I think it would avoid the troublesome adapter issue that AAC has with their 51T
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16ZHYfmBG3E

I think its cool swapping out and using one "can" for multiple host, but if you can afford a dedicated suppressor per firearm. I'd say you'd probably want to stick with a thread on for precision and QD's on other applications.
I also want to add: If you go with a QD system. Try to get a muzzle brake type adapter. I hear it helps the baffles in the can from getting to beat up too.

I haven't been in the suppressor game very long, but this is just my humble opinion based on my little to none experience.
Hope this helps a little. Regardless what you get... when you get it to work for you... you'll have the shittiest grin on your face every time you pull the trigger :)

Last edited:
7mmSTW, all the knowledge that I have about cans is from researching online. I've just read that with thread on cans there is a chance that it could loosen up under heavy fire. For my needs I just wanted the piece of mind that my can was locked on.

I respect what people have to say on this board and most say that a precision rifle needs a thread on can. However on the flip side others say that most see an accuracy improvement regardless of QD or thread on. So my question is besides weight, what is the advantage? I assume accuracy but some seem to disagree. It just seems that I'm finding two different stories? The Surefire mounts are supposed to be solid so I may just have to see what kind of accuracy I get with the Surefire.

Thanks for everyone's replies so far.

I think the surefire will work well for you. It's a rock solid mount and highly unlikely that it'll come loose or cause any kind of noticeable accuracy degradation. The aac mounts on the hand seem to be more hit or miss