• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy Int AE ?

dmg308

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2005
Manassas Va,USA
Can the Accuracy International AE switch barrels like the AI? Can you just call up someone like GA precision and order a barrel chambered and ready to go?

Re: Accoracy Int AE ?

THE BARREL CHANGE ON AN AE IS THE SAME AS THAT FOR THE AW BUT THE ACTION MUST BE REMOVED FROM THE STOCK, WHEN REFITTING THE BARREL CARE MUST BE TAKEN TO ENSURE THAT THE RECOIL LUG IS CORRECTLY POSITIONED BEFORE APPLYING TIGHTENING TORQUE.

Yes sir, the AE can be rebarreled in 10-15 minutes just like the AW with a couple more steps due to removing action/receiver from chassis. If you have any questions feel free to contact me direct and I will be glad to assist. Good on you for asking the important questions before just attempting the process.

Thanks Stacey my main question was with the AW you can call George and order a barrel ready to go with out sending the action to him.Can the same be done with the AE?

Will the threadings in the action going to wear out faster, if you keep changing the barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will the threadings in the action going to wear out faster, if you keep changing the barrel? </div></div>
How often did you have in mind?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will the threadings in the action going to wear out faster, if you keep changing the barrel? </div></div>
How often did you have in mind? </div></div>

well, say that I have a barrel for the 300 win mag, and a 7 mm Rem mag and 338LM and I want to interchange it weekly or something like that.

DMG, yes. A barrel can be ordered up for an AE. Stacey arranged to have mine threaded and then Roscoe here chambered the barrel, we put it together and shot very small groups every since. Might be some good for the smith to have the action with bolt and the barrel just to have the actual essential parts for accuracy of headspace measurements.

Thanks Casey I wasnt sure if it was the same.The AW's you can just order a barrel chambered and ready to go.Thats an appealing feature not to have to ship your gun out to get barrels.Looks like thats not the case with the AE's.

I have an AE in .308, I ordered a barrel from Maddco ( Toowoomba Australia who where one of the contract barrel makers for AI ) & they made me one up to the same spec as used in the AW. It bolted in & headspaced perfectly.

So at least in .308 the AE & AW barrels will interchange. That's my experience anyway.

HTH

I suppose I could ask if you really want to change that often...........but I wont mate.

I doubt that normal barrel off & on will wear the action threads at all unless you are doing something really stupid like not keeping them free of grit & debris. Over tourque may stretch the threading somewhat but again, that is an operator error issue, not a design issue. Personally I would not worry about it.

With 3 barrels in a magnum chambering I would be more concerned with paying for ammo.

Hope you are well mate.

Cheers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will the threadings in the action going to wear out faster, if you keep changing the barrel? </div></div>

well, say that I have a barrel for the 300 win mag, and a 7 mm Rem mag and 338LM and I want to interchange it weekly or something like that. </div></div>
You'd have a real special AE as I am pretty certain they don't make it in a long action!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will the threadings in the action going to wear out faster, if you keep changing the barrel? </div></div>

well, say that I have a barrel for the 300 win mag, and a 7 mm Rem mag and 338LM and I want to interchange it weekly or something like that. </div></div>
You'd have a real special AE as I am pretty certain they don't make it in a long action!
grin.gif
</div></div>

Sorry! I didn't clarify. I don't have an AE. I have the AIAW and the AIAWSM. I thought I would ask under the same thread. Not to try to steal the thread. I would like to find out the same info.

I think anything if abused will wear out! I am hoping that wouldn't be the case w/ AI users!
smirk.gif

To answer your question on the barrel ordering without the receiver shipped to GAP. Yes and you will need to ask them for their requirements. A barrel for an AI to us is a barrel, in an out of a receiver which is 8 years old with a new barrel, torque, headspace check and you are off and running, just that simple. But this is not normal as you know with other weapon manufactures. If they request the receiver that is entirely up to them for direct replacement barrel. I would say on the AE, if you are going with the .308, you will not find a better replacement price on the original barrel than the AI OEM barrel. So I would highly recommend you contact one of our distributors for pricing. So hope this answers your questions.

On the barrels in and out with mutiple calibers wearing out the threads, receiver or parts. The answer would be no. I have been doing this exact operation for near 15 years with these weapons and no reports of issues from either myself, factory or customers to date. As another stated, it is an AI, enjoy the simplicity, follow a standard installation, maintenance and cleaning procedure and shoot.

Thanks Stacey my main reason for this question is it would be nice to have a .243 or 6.5 barrel for comps etc.Then have the 308 for traditional pursuits.

Welcome and understand, so just lmk if you need further assistance. We are hearing alot of request on the 6.5 Creedmore barrels, so it is good to hear.

Accuracy International used to make Rifles in various calibers for their "varmint" rifles. 223, 6br, 22-250m 243 etc.. I am not sure why they stopped. However..they still make the AW in 243, but at a much higher cost than the AE.

We offered years ago multiple calibers, yes and a couple of different models as well. Time, demand and cost effectiveness has effectively weeded out the lower required items and brought forward the higher demand and pushed manufacturing to an all time high. AINA has been discussing offering some new chamberings this year and upcoming 2010 for such request. When available it will be posted and publically known. Good question and points all around.