• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International 1/12 AW No Worries

Sgt.Henry

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2009
a shipping container, Kabul
Thanks to everyone who told me not worry about the AI shooting 175 SMKs out of a 1/12 barrel
Below is a five shot,100 yard group out of a 20" AW with standard brake.
DSC_0019.jpg

and Yes Frank I promise to stop shooting groups now and its back to the dot drill for me!

Re: Accuracy International 1/12 AW No Worries

He did that while my muzzle brake was giving him hell by the way.

Rthur

btw- have you been dryfiring lately

Not only did he pull one group off like that, all of them where worthy of being posted on here.

Now try 180 VLD's at around 2.925 OAL. It should stablize those just fine, too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You would shit a brick if you saw what my AE did during a 178 BTHP workup. </div></div>

You have me curious because I have an AI AI MKII and have only shot Fed Gold Medal 168's and some RUAG down the tube. I have not yet started to reload but was either considering the the lighter Berger 155.5's, 155 scenars or the heavier 175 SMK'S or 175 VLD'S. There seems to be those who prefer the lighter bullets and those who like the heavier projectiles.I have shot in sniper competitions and concentrations through work etc but have only shot factory ammo.I want to give some F/TR a go and it looks like reloading is the way to go.

For an AE MK II - Accurate mags and 2.925 AOL with JLK 175's and 45.0 Varget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For an AE MK II - Accurate mags and 2.925 AOL with JLK 175's and 45.0 Varget. </div></div>

I just got a AI AE MKII with 20" barrel. I hope it will shoot my standard load of 175 SMK with 44.7 Varget at 2.85" OAL.
Hopefully the weather will let me get it out to the range this week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have not yet started to reload but was either considering the the lighter Berger 155.5's, 155 scenars or the heavier 175 SMK'S or 175 VLD'S. There seems to be those who prefer the lighter bullets and those who like the heavier projectiles.</div></div>

My regular match ammo has been the 175SMK over 43gr of RE15. I just started a workup with the 178gr Hornady BTHP and it looks like I am going to be able to run these at 2700+ fps with extremely good accuracy. I hit several nodes where all three rounds went through the same hole. It's not a grouping exercise by any means, but it was a OCW workup and when adjacent charges do it at the same POI, that tells me I am going to be able to put together some magic.

Sgt.Henry
Any info on the 175 SMK load you could share? So far I can get consistent groups with 43.3 grains of varget, lapua brass and cci br2. If I wasn't so lazy I would invest in a chrono and do some substantial tests. Latest groups from last week. 5 rounds.
[img:left]
photo-1.jpg
[/img]

Sgt. will have to confirm but I believe that was with black hills 175.

Rthur

Well I guess I should explain, my "go to" load is 43.5 grains of Varget loaded to 2.82 in Winchester or Black Hills brass,(the group above) But it will do the same with Factory Black Hills as well.

I was shooting a different AW with a standard factory Barrel, The other week in Texas I shot my 2.0 with a Bartlein 1/10 Barrel and SAS brake.

Both shot great, its the nut behind the trigger thats holding em back...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt Henry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks to everyone who told me not worry about the AI shooting 175 SMKs out of a 1/12 barrel</div></div>

It amazes me how so many people online seem to think that if its not a 1 in 10 twist in a .308 your screwed past 168 grains. Its just retarded. I have a buddy who only shoots 180 SMK's out of his 1 in 12 and it is a lazer. Its just like all the AR guys who think if you have a 1 in 9 twist .223 your stuck shooting 55 grainers. Mine shoots 77's like a boss

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt Henry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I guess I should explain, my "go to" load is 43.5 grains of Varget loaded to 2.82 in Winchester or Black Hills brass,(the group above) But it will do the same with Factory Black Hills as well.

I was shooting a different AW with a standard factory Barrel, The other week in Texas I shot my 2.0 with a Bartlein 1/10 Barrel and SAS brake.

Both shot great, its the nut behind the trigger thats holding em back... </div></div>

Thanks Sgt.H, very similar specs...... any idea what kind of MV out of your barrel???

My AE II easily does 1/2 m if I do my part using BH 175 M. I just got done working a load using 175 SMK,BH brass, WLR primer with Varget. 44.5 seated 2.810 worked out the best(started 42.5 in .5 increments to 44.5) and 5 measured out to .410, velocity was 2628 average. I did 5 shots each for the testing and loaded some more at the range to chrono, 2626, 2630, 2630, only had three chrono'ed, but real happy with consistency. Same load in a stock 20" SPS was 2575 average, but .7 average of 5 shots, 12 FPS ED on that rifle.

I compared cases to factory BH and all charge weights had flatter primer and FP strike appeared the same as factory, no change in bolt lift across the board.

I only get 2525 from the BH 175

One thing I have already noted about my AE MKII, it has a more generous chamber than either my GAP or APA 308 bolt guns.
As for twist rates, I have seen so many 308 guns with 1 in 11.25 twist that I thought that to be optimum for 168-190 grain bullets.
But it seems to me that Berger Bullets has adjusted their recommended twist rates as they now say 1 in 12 will stabilize the 190 gr 208 bullets.