• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AE, how...accurate?

harrisjl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I've been looking at picking up a real AI (I rather like my 223 rem700 in an aics) for awhile.

But one key piece of info I can't seem to find is, exactly how accurate is this rifle? (and because the word accuracy is in the name..searching for this is a bit...difficult, I found one article where the results werent awe inspiring). On average are we talking about MOA, .5 MOA, somewhere in the middle?

No I'm definately not .5 MOA all day, I've done it but I wouldn't put money on repeating it, but I'm generally sub MOA and improving every trip.

I'm not looking for alternatives (GAP is building me a 260 already), just some first hand experience (I know Lowlight has one which says something).

Thanks.

Re: Accuracy International AE, how...accurate?

I think the spec is 30mm at 100m with any ammo... but most shoot much better than that. Needless to say, they are better than the shooter.

30 mm is about 1.2 inches.

Every AI I've seen shot by someone who could shoot reasonably well with match grade ammunition was easily shooting 0.5 to 0.6 inches at 100 yards. Some were better.

With my AE Mk1, I've cleaned 600yds more than once; 200-15x is my highest X-count (shooting FGMM168).

A friend of mine (johnAE308) shot a 200-17x (IIRC) with his AE.

Reactions: deersniper

Besides shooting dots and such, myself and velcroflyer (AW and an AE) were at the range last Saturday taking the eyeballs out of targets. Easily .25 MOA. Sample Target:

PHT-ST.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: agent-smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With my AE Mk1, I've cleaned 600yds more than once; 200-15x is my highest X-count (shooting FGMM168).

</div></div>
Wow,good shooting if F/TR. Either of those scores bests the national record handily.

for some reason that target reminds me of the spring shootout this last year. what kind of glass are you using on your ai?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: agent-smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With my AE Mk1, I've cleaned 600yds more than once; 200-15x is my highest X-count (shooting FGMM168).

</div></div>
Wow,good shooting if F/TR. Either of those scores bests the national record handily. </div></div>
Nope; I wish.

I could be wrong about my/John's score, but that is what I recall the result being. If I recall, I shot a 595-34X; I sure know that I didn't set a national record so I could be wrong. I have shot a 200-11x in a registered tournament I'll see if I can find it documented somewhere.

I tried to find a link where the scores were posted (shot at the CO Rifle Club a couple of years ago) but the link is no longer active. I know it was at least an "approved" tournament, but I don't think it was a "registered" tournament so I don't believe the NRA will have a record of it. Feel free to disbelieve it; it still happpened.

(If I'm wrong, feel free to ridicule me but it wasn't intentional)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: probablycause</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for some reason that target reminds me of the spring shootout this last year. what kind of glass are you using on your ai? </div></div>We were both using S&Bs.

I was unaware the record was 200-19x. The NRA site says different, but I guess they haven't updated in awhile.

Didn't think I implied that "I disbelieved." I would love for it to have been shot in a registered match so a factory rifle would have the record.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was unaware the record was 200-19x. The NRA site says different, but I guess they haven't updated in awhile.

Didn't think I implied that "I disbelieved." I would love for it to have been shot in a registered match so a factory rifle would have the record. </div></div>
You're right, I'm wrong (http://www.nrahq.org/compete/natl_records.asp).

The national record isn't 200-19x; I guess that is what David Tubb shot but he evidently wasn't shooting F-Class. Okay, I look like a schmuck here but johnAE308 can back me up that the AE's shot extremely well.

Once I get home on Friday I can see if I can find the final match scores so feel free to point and laugh at me as much as you like; I have it coming.

I'm going to go hang my head in shame here and then cry
frown.gif

Take it easy. I am not pointing or laughing. I realize the AE's shoot very well. I haven't owned one, but every one I have shot impressed me.

You have nothing to prove to me or anyone else. I don't shoot F/TR often, and I surely don't shoot @ the High Master level. All I said or implied was it was good shooting. Sorry for the compliment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take it easy. I am not pointing or laughing. I realize the AE's shoot very well. I haven't owned one, but every one I have shot impressed me.

You have nothing to prove to me or anyone else. I don't shoot F/TR often, and I surely don't shoot @ the High Master level. All I said or implied was it was good shooting. Sorry for the compliment. </div></div>
Oh, I know; I appreciate the comments!!!

I just feel look/feel like an idiot, that's all.

If anyone owes anyone an apology, it is me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow,good shooting if F/TR. Either of those scores bests the national record handily. </div></div>

+1 that 1/2 minute X-ring is tough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81STFACP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow,good shooting if F/TR. Either of those scores bests the national record handily. </div></div>

+1 that 1/2 minute X-ring is tough. </div></div>
Well, that would explain things.

Perhaps I need to update my match information; we were shooting F-Class in a "conventional" highpower match, and I'm positive the targets we were using had a 1MOA X-ring and a 2MOA 10-ring.

So, we shot well but not 15/20 or 17/20 shots into 3" at 600yds.

FTR targets changed last year. We used to have alot of cleans with high x counts. Not so much any more. I think both you guys are right. Now back to the OP topic, sorry if we highjacked.

Eddie

The AI's have a reputation for producing good accuracy in a bombproof package. I am sure there are better shooting rifles out there, but will they take the abuse an AI will?

That said, I think they are overkill for the .308win and its in the .338LM that they really shine...

Thank you all, that is what I was looking for. Looks like in a few days we will find out which of the hide vendors has one they want to sell me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLharris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you all, that is what I was looking for. Looks like in a few days we will find out which of the hide vendors has one they want to sell me. </div></div> MHSA normally carries a lot of them in stock at VERY GOOD prices. Call Randy and Diann - they are both VERY knowledgeable on AIs and the respective accessories.

Stacey Blankenship at AI (he posts here) is VERY helpful and can help in numerous ways as well.

Stacey Blankenship
Accuracy International of North America, Inc.
AINA Office: (540) 368-3108
Email: [email protected]
www.accuracyinternational.us
www.accuracyinternational.com

Yep I'm aware who the 3 distributors are, as well as at least one dealer (Alex at Europtic, who looks to be the only one of the bunch coming to Charlotte this week for the NRA show). MHSA posted that they had a good number of guns incoming but the post seemed to be more focused on referring people to dealers than selling them themselves.

(and I've seen Stacey post, but besides the accuracy question..I'm good on product details)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLharris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep I'm aware who the 3 distributors are, as well as at least one dealer (Alex at Europtic, who looks to be the only one of the bunch coming to Charlotte this week for the NRA show). <span style="font-weight: bold">MHSA posted that they had a good number of guns incoming but the post seemed to be more focused on referring people to dealers than selling them themselves.</span>

(and I've seen Stacey post, but besides the accuracy question..I'm good on product details) </div></div>Respectfully, MHSA is a vendor that sells to the public. My whole set up came from them - they did not refer me to others. Just don't desire mis-information out there ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLharris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep I'm aware who the 3 distributors are, as well as at least one dealer (Alex at Europtic, who looks to be the only one of the bunch coming to Charlotte this week for the NRA show). <span style="font-weight: bold">MHSA posted that they had a good number of guns incoming but the post seemed to be more focused on referring people to dealers than selling them themselves.</span>

(and I've seen Stacey post, but besides the accuracy question..I'm good on product details) </div></div>Respectfully, MHSA is a vendor that sells to the public. My whole set up came from them - they did not refer me to others. Just don't desire mis-information out there ... </div></div>

Definately not trying to spread any, I don't have a horse/favorite in this (ok, I've met Alex at least) I'm going to call them, all they can say is "no".

here is the original post made a few days ago

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
We have close to 50 new Accuracy International rifles coming in the next 30 days check with our dealers or call us and we will direct you to them.
Thanks
Randy
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLharris</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLharris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep I'm aware who the 3 distributors are, as well as at least one dealer (Alex at Europtic, who looks to be the only one of the bunch coming to Charlotte this week for the NRA show). <span style="font-weight: bold">MHSA posted that they had a good number of guns incoming but the post seemed to be more focused on referring people to dealers than selling them themselves.</span>

(and I've seen Stacey post, but besides the accuracy question..I'm good on product details) </div></div>Respectfully, MHSA is a vendor that sells to the public. My whole set up came from them - they did not refer me to others. Just don't desire mis-information out there ... </div></div>

Definately not trying to spread any, I don't have a horse/favorite in this (ok, I've met Alex at least) I'm going to call them, all they can say is "no".

here is the original post made a few days ago

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
We have close to 50 new Accuracy International rifles coming in the next 30 days check with our dealers or call us and we will direct you to them.
Thanks
Randy
</div></div> </div></div>
I can see how you may have misunderstood Randy's post, if you did not read all the ones prior to it ... (of satisfied customers) - but they still sell them and are G2G. No problems with Alex (I just purchased a NF from him last month) or any of the other dealers (SRT, etc.).

Just desired to be sure that no mis-information gets out there - as MHSA is still selling AIs to the public ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Besides shooting dots and such, myself and velcroflyer (AW and an AE) were at the range last Saturday taking the eyeballs out of targets. Easily .25 MOA. Sample Target:

PHT-ST.jpg
</div></div>

Doc1911 was kind enough to let me try out his AI a few weeks ago. Mind you, I had never shot one before, and it feels completely different than my Remington 40X w/ McMillan A5, and any time I've shot someone elses rig the POI is different... All that said, that freakin' rifle put the 2 shots I took touching each other and right where I aimed! If I had shot 5 they would have made 1 ragged hole!... FANTASTIC!!!

Thanks again Doc!

Been extremely pleased with all three AIs I've owned (ae mkI, ae mkII, and Aw). Out of all of them I believe the ae mkI with a specific load I found produced the best accuracy. When I did my part it would place 5 rnds inside 1"@300y. It was very typically capable of 1.5"@300y.

The new AW istrailing by only a slight bit and has only seen about 50 rnds worth of load development.

They shoot.

Not sure how accurate it is yet but here is my new AI AE Mark I in a starlight case. I can't wait to get my US Optics scope so I can take it for a spin.
4600100200_024a240708_o.jpg

With fed match 168's, I have shot .25 in groups at 200. Not quite as good at 300 but have been within 1.25 inchs several times. I don't always shoot like this but has happened more than a couple of times. I can or have duplicated the accuracy with 168gr match kings and varget in norma cases. I got mine from Randy and Diane at Mile High. Very good people to deal with and she made sure to get the rifle to me quicker than I expected because I was going out of town. Took care of me well without charging me any more. Mine is a 20in barrel witht he brake on it and 2.0 stock. One of the guns in my safe that I will not sell.

I picked up an aemk1 used,before i bought it i witnessed it shoot a 3 shot group at 200y with all 3 touching.that was with 20$ a box fiocchi ammo loaded with 168 smk.

I HAD AI AW .338 LAPUA MAG AND SAKO TRG-42 .338 LM, SOLD THE AI KEPT THE SAKO WITH FOLDING STOCK. BOTH HAD NIGHTFORCE NXS SCOPES AT THE TIME. THE TRG BARREL WILL LAST LONGER,TRG IS LIGHTER AND A BIT MORE ACCURATE. Mac

I really dont think a trg would be a "bit more accurate" than an AI.never heard of a "bit of angle" lol. it could be that the trg just fit you better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3%4-2nd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I HAD AI AW .338 LAPUA MAG AND SAKO TRG-42 .338 LM, SOLD THE AI KEPT THE SAKO WITH FOLDING STOCK. BOTH HAD NIGHTFORCE NXS SCOPES AT THE TIME. THE TRG BARREL WILL LAST LONGER,TRG IS LIGHTER AND A BIT MORE ACCURATE. Mac </div></div>

I would take the AIAWSM over the TRG-42. (in fact, that's what I did).
http://demigodllc.com/articles/military-338-lapua-rifles-trg42-awsm/