• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AE MKIII 308 Or POF 308

Irish Bacon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2012
Southern Oregon
I'm trying to decide between the accuracy international Ae mkiii with 20 inch barrel and brake or a pof 308 with 20 inch barrel?
it would be used for recreational target shooting from 100 to 1000 yards. what are your opinions? how will both preform.

Re: Accuracy International AE MKIII 308 Or POF 308

Both, but I'd get the bolt gun first and they will both perform great

For doing what you described, the AIAE will be better suited and probably offer better results.

I would recommend the 2.0 version for compactness. If you got both, I would guess you probably wouldn't shoot the semi as often as the bolt. That has been my experience.

Umm....You're asking opinions on 2 systems from polar opposite sides of the spectrum. Both are top tier and will get the job done, but very differently. Only you can decide what's best for you. So many "this rifle/caliber vs that rifle/caliber" threads lately. What's goin on around here?

Realizing that you are asking between a bolt gun and a semi in the bolt gun section, you could have probably already guessed the answer you are going to get. Personally, I would go with the AE, but that is because I enjoy shooting a bolt more. Both will do the job, though the AE will most likely do it with better accuracy.

The only real argument for the gas gun would be if you are afraid such things might get banned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Backstep308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm trying to decide between the accuracy international Ae mkiii with 20 inch barrel and brake or a pof 308 with 20 inch barrel?
it would be used for recreational target shooting from 100 to 1000 yards. what are your opinions? how will both preform. </div></div>

I own both an AE MkII and 21" Noveske AR10. The MkII is almost exactly the same as the MkIII although the AR10 is not a POF.

I can bet that the AE will be more accurate than the POF, however the margin will be small. The AE will be easier to shoot to it's potential than the POF. Gas guns need to be "driven" a little differently.

If you are just banging steel and you don't intend to shoot matches, then either will work. Get whatever you desire more. If you intend to shoot matches at any point, the AE will be a better choice and allowed in more matches. There are Precision/Tactical matches that are "bolt gun only". I don't think I have seen any that are "gas gun only". While some stages may favor the strength of a semi-auto, the margin will be slim. Also if you do decide to shoot matches later on, barrel changes on the AE are pretty easy (.243, 6.5CM, .260, etc.).

For just dinking around it doesn't really matter, except you will be chasing brass on the POF and the AE will drop them a lot closer.

I was saving up for the AE MKIII when Newtown happened. With all the talk of an Assault Weapons ban, I decided to purchase a P308 at the time before the prices hit the fan. I love my P308, but I am still saving to add the MKIII to my "armory". If none of this nonsense would have happened, I would have bought the MKIII first and maybe a Gap10 down the line, but in haste I bought the P308, and dont regret it one bit.

We are talking about two very different platforms here, obviously. From experience, I can tell you that to shoot a gasser at the level of accuracy that the gun is capable of takes a lot of trigger time. Secondly, the POF will not have the same degree of accuracy that the AI will have, even when you remove the man behind the trigger. There are smiths that can make custom gas guns that will shoot well under moa, at that point its up to the shooter to shoot within the capabilities of the rifle. I am looking at this from a precision standpoint, and I do not know your experience level with a gas gun, I would go with the AI

AIAE hands down. Not even close.
I totally agree with ^^^^. The AIAE is easily a 0.5" 5 shot group @ 100 yard most times even better. I have yet to see a POR 308 come even close to that and I have seen quite a few of them. They are fine weapons for what they are but not as accurate by any means as an AI. I have a POF an it's a great rifle but if my life depended on accuracy shooting the AI hands down.

Ive got both. Well, not the POF but I have an LMT MWS and a AI AE MKIII. I shoot the AI more often, it so much fun to shoot. It makes me feel like I can actually shoot worth a dam.