• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AE vs AW

CMonty256

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 18, 2010
Fort Campbell, KY
*Preface* Before I get trolled, I've spent the better part of the last hour searching the forms for my particular question.

Question: At what point do you believe the $2000 you spend over an AE is worth having an AW? I'm leaving for an MFO Egypt rotation and I'm looking to purchase an AI when I get back.

-Monty

Re: Accuracy International AE vs AW

A few years ago the margins would have been further apart, but with the advent of the MK II AE you realy have a choice now. Since the the Ae now has a removable trigger and 10rd capacity the question is, " Is $2K worth a beefier and bonded action with a 3 position safety".

The AW is a bit more robust but the gap is narrower.

Camaro SS or Base model Vette? Now a ZO6 Vette would be the AWS and teh ZR1 the AW50

I thought about it long and hard with the new option AE MkII. In the end, I got the AIAW in 308, since I had one previously and traded it. To me, it's worth it. Definitely, it complements my AIAWSM 338LM. I talked to Stacey about it. He told me that the AE is just very bit accurate as the AW. The thing I like about the AWs is its ability to change barrel without taking the action out of the stock. Don't plan to operate in the artic theatre at any time soon, but if have to I know the AW will function. LOL.

J/K. In the end, if it's within your budget to justify the extra 2K then get it. If not, you probably won't miss a whole lot. As for me, I am always bias toward the AWs. Saving for the AW50 soon. May have to donate one of my kidney however.

Yeah what DHK said.

If you have the extra cash to throw at it,then get it.If not, you will still be happy with accuracy and function out of the AE.I got the AW because i didnt want to look back and wonder what it was like to have the AW.Good luck on your decision.

I like my AE its a fine piece, sure i would take an AW over it but not for 2k.I think ill keep the extra 2k and save it for buying an AWSM next year because they are an addiction.Hopefully a few years after than ill have my ZR1 lol.

AW with 2.0 if you can afford it. You will not regret the decision (if you can afford it).

I agree with Mendicion... I would go with the AW 2.0. One question I have, if you go with the AW are you then going to spend less money on the optics?

I appreciate the straight answers. Right now its looking like I'll just have to see how good the tax-free money treats me while I'm over there. Either way I see an AI rifle with some S&B glass is in my future.

I chose my ae over an aw because for what I can see of the two, you are only getting a couple of things extra on the aw. Ability to change out the barrel without taking off the stock, a little better safety and maybe if I ever used it in the arctic, a bombproof system. I won't be needing one in the arctic. With the price of the aw, I could get a complete other gun. My 308 is extremely accurate. I don't know that an aw would be any better. For what I would use it for, I know the price could not be justifed. If you have the extra coin, go for it but just not for me.

Just break down the major components and you cant go wrong with the AE.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Chassis</span></span> = THE SAME ( both made out of he same material and all options available ) <span style="font-weight: bold">DRAW</span>
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Bolt</span></span> = THE SAME <span style="font-weight: bold">DRAW</span>
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Bolt Body</span></span> = THE SAME <span style="font-weight: bold">DRAW</span>
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Safty </span></span>= AE/2 position AW/3 position <span style="font-weight: bold">Advantage AW </span>
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Magazine</span></span> = Both 10rd capable. AE Single position feed, AW dual position can be topped off while mag inserted <span style="font-weight: bold">Advantage AW</span>
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Action</span></span> = AE tube style AW... AW! <span style="font-weight: bold">Advantage AW</span>
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Trigger</span></span> = Both adjuatable both removable without taking action out <span style="font-weight: bold">DRAW</span>
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Barrels</span></span> = same makers just profiled diffrent <span style="font-weight: bold">DRAW</span>
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Scope Base</span></span> = AE 0 MOA Pic Rail / AW dovetail with Pic Rail option more options = <span style="font-weight: bold">Advantage AW</span>

That's a great break down ROLEXrifleman. Based on that, I guess I made the right decision on both counts.

Now with the READY availablity of ALL AI products-its a tough decision. Having ordered and waited----and waited... for an AIAWSM in 338LM and finally owning it,there is no doubt of its overall capabilities. Fact is the accuracy or either is going to be determined by the BARREL.

As they come from AI-they are guaranteed to shot 1 moa-which is not a problem for the AW or AE. Simply screw on a Bartlein carefully chambered by an expert gunsmith of your choice you have one helluva tactical rifle. From shooter reports the factory barrels are giving outstanding results.

The beauty of it all is ALL AI products are available for IMMEDIATE purchase!!! That cannot be said for any custom build.

You can't go wrong either way IMO, but if you are strapped for cash and AE will get you outstanding performance AND you'll have extra cash to buy a quality optic.

Compared to 5 years ago-we have ALOT of choices as shooters and consumers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just break down the major components and you cant go wrong with the AE.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Chassis</span></span> = THE SAME ( both made out of he same material and all options available ) <span style="font-weight: bold">DRAW</span>
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Bolt</span></span> = THE SAME <span style="font-weight: bold">DRAW</span>
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Bolt Body</span></span> = THE SAME <span style="font-weight: bold">DRAW</span>
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Safty </span></span>= AE/2 position AW/3 position <span style="font-weight: bold">Advantage AW </span>
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Magazine</span></span> = Both 10rd capable. AE Single position feed, AW dual position can be topped off while mag inserted <span style="font-weight: bold">Advantage AW</span>
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Action</span></span> = AE tube style AW... AW! <span style="font-weight: bold">Advantage AW</span>
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Trigger</span></span> = Both adjuatable both removable without taking action out <span style="font-weight: bold">DRAW</span>
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Barrels</span></span> = same makers just profiled diffrent <span style="font-weight: bold">DRAW</span>
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Scope Base</span></span> = AE 0 MOA Pic Rail / AW dovetail with Pic Rail option more options = <span style="font-weight: bold">Advantage AW</span></div></div>

All extremely good points.

The one thing not pointed out so far is that generally speaking, the AW offers more configuration options. If you want a quick-adjust buttpad and cheekpiece system, the AW is the only way to go. Same for the side rails/NVG mount. Previously, the buttspike feature was an AW-only option, but now the AEs can be ordered with them as well, so that's a draw. Even so, there's still more barrel options currently available in the AW series than the AE.

AW30820FLDE_QDParts.jpg

At the end of the day, the question is what caliber you're shooting and what options you want. If your desire is for a straightforward .308 with a 24" barrel and nothing more, then it just simply makes sense to go for the AE (or maybe two...
wink.gif
). When you're talking about a 26" folder with quick-adjust system and all of the available rail options, then the AW is the only way to get what you really want.

And obviously, if you're wanting a magnum caliber, the AW is where it's at.

Personally, I own an AE, and have no regrets at all. Except never seeming to have enough ammo to keep it fed...
wink.gif

If you buy the AW will you still have $3k left over for scope and mount? If so and you can afford it then get the AW. If not then get the AE and an S&B scope for about the same money as an AW. No point in owning a $6k rifle if you can't afford to put decent glass on it.

jasonk, I think you mean AE you have 3K left over..

Lots of good points, information and views. It still comes down primarily to, whats your budget? What is your primary application and simply said, what options/build do you desire. With these questions answered, you will normally see your answer right there on the paper. As always, any assistance desired, PM, email or call me.

I went AW simply because it was the rifle I wanted. I spent a few year lusting after the AW and knew I wouldn't be happy if I got something else. I will likely never need the added features you get with the AW, but I got want I wanted so I'm happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin_Deaton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went AW simply because it was the rifle I wanted. I spent a few year lusting after the AW and knew I wouldn't be happy if I got something else. I will likely never need the added features you get with the AW, but I got want I wanted so I'm happy. </div></div>

My reasoning for an AW also......... But there was no Mk II back when I was buying either so like Rolex said the margin was bigger.

Successful designs tend to be in service longer. The AE has now undergone revision--to be more like the AW. Parts, options, longetivity--advantage AW!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin_Deaton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went AW simply because it was the rifle I wanted. I spent a few year lusting after the AW and knew I wouldn't be happy if I got something else. I will likely never need the added features you get with the AW, but I got want I wanted so I'm happy. </div></div>

Ive read about the AE and AW series rifles, and all in all since i found out AI makes a left handed AW308, i might have to save up and get one of those down the road.

JasonK nailed it, if you cant afford great glass after purchasing the AW, you shoulda got the AE. I really really wanted an AW so I bought one, along with a S&B.

I bought my AE MkII shortly after the AW. It shoots every bit as good. Until i had the AE in hand, i didn't know just how similar the rifles were. As far as running each of them, safety designs aside, there is no difference to the user.

The only other thing of note for me is that the fit and finish is much much nicer on my AW. I imagine I just got a poorer example of one. It's gonna get the krylon treatment here soon so it doesn't much matter.

AW has approximately 1.5 inches of threads in contact with the receiver, while the AE has 1.0 inch of threads and approximately 0.5 inches of a rounded shoulder that is not threaded.

The AE will accept an AW barrel, while the AW will not accept the AE style barrels.

HTH