• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International Arctic Warfare

RedJoker

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2024
Italy
Hi everyone first time here, i am from italy and i am looking to buy a Accuracy International Arctic Warfare in 308w.
I have been looking at them for quite a while but i cant really differenciate one type from another.
The ones that i saw for sale had minor differences like the screws on the cheek pad, the monopod, the rail on which the optic was mounted, some had muzzle brake with the iron sight on top and others didnt.
So i wanted to ask if possible if there is a website or a post that explaines the differences between the various models that you can encounter.
Thank you for your time and sorry if my English is not the best.

I am only interested in the differences of the AW platform not the others.
Like this screws on the cheeck pad

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240123_195735_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240123_195735_Chrome.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20240123_195735_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240123_195735_Chrome.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_20240123_195704_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240123_195704_Chrome.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 73
I think Rolex rifleman had some info on a thread years ago. Searching back is probably going to be your best bet because there were some updates to the rifle and chassis over the years and some different options. It would be hard to put all the together.

Those thumb screws don’t look like anything factory that I’ve seen though. They mostly came with Allen heads and I think AI had an optional screw set at one point but they looked nothing like that. Lots of people cobbled together whatever they could to make their own thumb screws so you’ll run into that.

I think Rolex rifleman had some info on a thread years ago. Searching back is probably going to be your best bet because there were some updates to the rifle and chassis over the years and some different options. It would be hard to put all the together.

Those thumb screws don’t look like anything factory that I’ve seen though. They mostly came with Allen heads and I think AI had an optional screw set at one point but they looked nothing like that. Lots of people cobbled together whatever they could to make their own thumb screws so you’ll run into that.
Thank you for your answer.
I will try as you said

They may have discontinued the AI screws. Otherwise one could buy them for about $30 a screw 😁

The hardest one to find is going to be an unmolested original AI AW in the 2.0 configuration with an original AI barrel and the original Dovetail mount.

That's like a premium collectors model.
In Italy we only have this rifles with originals barrels, people dont really shoot that much to swap barrels in particular with this rifles, we tend to preserve them.

The hardest one to find is going to be an unmolested original AI AW in the 2.0 configuration with an original AI barrel and the original Dovetail mount.

2.0 configuration is the one with the folding stock?

In Italy we only have this rifles with originals barrels, people dont really shoot that much to swap barrels in particular with this rifles, we tend to preserve them.
What’s the going price there?

Another nice unicorn is:

AI AWSM with the unmolested 2.0 configuration in .338LM with the original heavily fluted barrel.

Those also fetch a pretty high price

The funny thing is both of those collector pieces were being sold for cheap for a brief moment when the AX series first came out and some folks were jumping on the bandwagon. I bet most of those wish they had kept their original AW / AWSM ones.

These are hard to find. I would pay lots for a like new example of the AW308 2.0. I searched for years and finally gave up and bought an AT thumbhole. I can’t imagine what a L96A1 would run.

I have an unmolested FDE AIAW 2.0 that I bought from Mile High back in the day. I almost sold it when the newer models came out. Then thought why should I do that. It's not going to shot any better. Glad I made that decision.

Attachments

• AIAW.jpg
    AIAW.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0427.jpeg
    IMG_0427.jpeg
    383.9 KB · Views: 211
These are hard to find. I would pay lots for a like new example of the AW308 2.0. I searched for years and finally gave up and bought an AT thumbhole. I can’t imagine what a L96A1 would run.
I know a guy who has one, the real deal OG l96a1 from the 80s is running 60-70k at the moment. To be fair I think there’s only low double digits still in existence after the British chopped them up and threw them in the north sea

This is my grail gun.
If I find one I will buy it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 56Marksman
I have an AIAW with a .243 fast twist original barrel, fixed stock with a butt spike.

Not sure why that variant was produced.

Places that didn't allow folding stocks and didn't allow or made it hard to have military caliber rifles for civilians.

Places that didn't allow folding stocks and didn't allow or made it hard to have military caliber rifles for civilians.
That's a good rationale. This one came from the English guy in Texas who was the importer for AI for awhile. Late 90's/early 2000's I'm guessing. The fast twist barrel is what appealed to me.

That's a good rationale. This one came from the English guy in Texas who was the importer for AI for awhile. Late 90's/early 2000's I'm guessing. The fast twist barrel is what appealed to me.

If it was Bill Davidson at TacPro,

That's where I bought my AW and AWSM from

Had I known then what I know now, I would have picked up more than just 1 of each.

Been on the search for a 2.0 folding too.

Curently sitting on 08 awsm non folder.
'95 awp police model. Original black stock and also non folding.

Anyone could pin point me to different coloured furnitures? Would like a tan one

Thanks for all the replies.
I have found this one for sale, they guy told me he didnt shot much about 600 rounds.
what do you think about this rifle by this photos, is it original?
I had only a doubt when i saw the rotating bolt and the color of the stock.

Attachments

• 4380418.jpg
    4380418.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 189
  • 4380408.jpg
    4380408.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 193
  • 4380405.jpg
    4380405.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 198
  • 4380415.jpg
    4380415.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 174
Since the serial number has 'AW' in it I would say it's real. However, i don't thing the scope and scope mount are correct for the time period. The '10' in the serial number indicates it was made in 2010.

Reactions: Genin
Thanks for all the replies.
I have found this one for sale, they guy told me he didnt shot much about 600 rounds.
what do you think about this rifle by this photos, is it original?
I had only a doubt when i saw the rotating bolt and the color of the stock.
Do you know if the panels are green on the inside or are they black?

Law enforcement back in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s also had a thing going about reduced penetration with rounds like .223 Rem and .243 Win on sniper rifles. After some bad shoots where the rounds failed to penetrate common barriers anybody in charge with any sense went back to .308 and usually adopted a barrier blind round to supplement standard match grade.