• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

golgo013

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2014
I just tried some of hand loads last weekend.
24 inch AI barrel
I swear to god, my rem 700 shoots a lot better. most of my rem 700 shot falls under .2~.5 moa with 168 HPBT 41 grains IMR 4895.

I bought the AIAT used, I am not sure how many rounds it has gone through but whatever, I will probably buy another barrel after start to getting
1moa grouping.

most of the smalls holes in the middle were my Steyr Aug shots. I was zeroing the AUG and the AI last weekend.

1. 168gr eld match Hornady 2.83 OAL XBR 8202 43. grains
2. 168gr HPBT sierra. 2.83 OAL XBR 8202 42.5 grains
3. 155gr TMK Sierra. 2.83 OAL XBR 8202 42.5 grains
4. 155gr TMK. Sierra. 2.78 OAL IMR 4895 43. grains
5. 155gr TMK. Sierra. 2.78 OAL IMR 4895 43.4 grains
6. 155gr HPBT. Sierra. 2.83 OAL XBR 8202 42.3 grains

Illustration.png

S__7970833.jpg

wow, maybe I should reload some of these 175 grains.
Do you know what fps comes out of your barrel?

There is one other thing that can affect accuracy. When i got my AIAT i had some accuracy issues, my groups were just about 1 moa at 100 yards. I found that I didn't have the correct torque on the barrel set screw. I got a 6NM preset T handle Torque wrench and my groups dropped to 1/2 moa or better. This was with FGGM factory 175 SMK's. You just need to use the same torque when ever you change or remove the barrel. Also never had much luck shooting anything lighter the 175 gr bullets in my .308 barrel. If i remember 6nm is about 53 inch pounds.

Reactions: golgo013
thanks for the input guys. yeah... it seems like anything under 168 will be over 1 moa

golgo -

i have had one AI barrel perform similar to your experience. all the others i've tried - either AI, europtic or gradous have shot very very well. i have 3 new ones yet to try, but aside from the 1 ive been pleased in the long run. if its not shot out maybe you just had a bit of bad luck with one like i did.

vr7WvZr.jpg

5 rounds of Federal xm188lr through my factory 24" 1:12 AI barrel. Try some FGMM, it should put them in one hole.

hate to see you getting the results you are. I have a AT with a 16.5" 308 barrel and it stacks them in the same hole at 100 with any ammo ive tried. I would definitely try some quality factory ammo and make sure your tq the barrel correctly. Also maybe try taking the break off and see if that changes things.

I have one, and several police departments I have trained with have them.
Of the 35 or so I've been around, none of them shot bad.
Definitely not like the posted pics.

All of those rifles shot any of the "good" lots of fgm and hornady ammunition very very very well. The very first group out of mine was one ragged hole at 100 and 2" at 500.

NONE of those rifles were braked ***** . They were either factory thread protector or suppressed.

I've loaded some nosler 150 ballistic tips in Winchester brass at 2735 out of the 24" barrel, and 2750 out of other rifles 26" barrels. Half moa all day long.

My barrel is torqued in using the armorer school supplied wrench.

HOWEVER, we have found several lots of fgm that suck in these rifles and ANY other rifles we shot it in, to the 2moa nasty range.
Rifles built by GAP, APA, and Hart (did the rebarrel).

Ammo CAN suck, no matter how 'match' it is. We havent shot any issue M118LR that shot less than 3/4 moa, with some running to 3moa, no matter the rifle, and no amount of tuning would make it better.

While some of us tune ammo to a specific rifle, I prefer to have ammo that shoots well in more than one rifle, in large amounts. Less headaches trying to figure out problems like this.

Again, NONE of the rifles in this post, AI or built, have 'that brake' on them.

Be curious how yours shoots without the brake and torqued in with an issued armorer wrench.
With ammo that shoots sub moa in at least 5 other various rifles.
Real curious.

Edited to add. That brake in the picture, I hate, it imho/imhe, is about useless.
Had one on a 338 lapua. It didnt brake ANYTHING... and after trying it on a few other rifles, it is now a shelf rider.
Have it and a APA bastard brake side by side. Hate one and love the other noisy little sucker...
Will occasionally put them on other people's rifles to show them a useless piece of shit brake versus a real working brake.

Army Marksmanship Unit did a study years ago on muzzle devices.
'No muzzle device' shot the best. Plain properly crowned barrel, or "gently smithed" threaded properly crowned barrels.

The tighter they torqued them on, the worse they shot.
On the service rifle m16's, a fitted, tuned, thread loc substance attached un-torqued muzzle device did the best.

Have found that true on every rifle I own that has a flash suppressor, silencer/suppressor qd adaptor, or brake.

vr and best to you.

Last edited:
ok guys, I just. got some 175 smk bullet. I am going to load it and see the result. I will let u guys know.

I will also remove my muzzle brake.

appreciated for the help guys.

I would do what someone else said before and go and buy a box of FGMM 175 SMKs and try it.

My 24" AT barrel with no brake using FGMM 175 routinely groups below 0.5 MOA and many times below 0.3 MOA. It has 3,600 rounds through it.

Something isn't right

golgo -

i have had one AI barrel perform similar to your experience. all the others i've tried - either AI, europtic or gradous have shot very very well. i have 3 new ones yet to try, but aside from the 1 ive been pleased in the long run. if its not shot out maybe you just had a bit of bad luck with one like i did.
yeah, it sounds like you may have received a bad barrel which is rare with AI but I'm certain it happens. Mine has been absolutely stellar with both 6.5 and 308 barrels in 20" and 24".....

yeah, it sounds like you may have received a bad barrel which is rare with AI but I'm certain it happens. Mine has been absolutely stellar with both 6.5 and 308 barrels in 20" and 24".....

While you may be correct that he has a bad barrel the variable of the ammo has to be eliminated before making that claim.

FGMM 175 and 168 are proven performers.

do you guys hand tight the barrel and the lock screw or torque wrench?
how do you guys do it?