• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AT purchase...fixed or folding stock?

BravoSector1

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 26, 2011
    Idaho
    I see a lot of complaints surrounding "cleaning" with the fixed stock version of the AT. I'm assuming this is due to pulling the cheek riser every time cleaning is required?

Other than a compact package, especially with barrel pulled, what is the premium on the folding stock version getting you?

I'm getting ready to purchase my first AI and zoned in on the few remaining new/used rifles out there. Thank you in advance.

Get the folder. You can also pull the barrel for cleaning if you want as well. But the folder makes it better for cleaning or using a OAL gauge if you leave the barrel on. It will also help with resale if you choose to part with it.

AT
    Folder
    Thumbhole
    At least one 308 barrel
    Green

These are the basics for a true AT owner

Folder definitely helps with cleaning. I have become spoiled with the QC barrels in my AT-X. I am set up now so I can pull one barrel and clean it thoroughly while I clean and prep the brass I fired in it...while having screwed in another barrel with freshly prepped brass and handloads ready to go.

Green = Lord’s color.

Thumbhole is the Lord’s AT.

If you shoot the Lord’s caliber through a green thumbhole you get a) a stiffy, b) 125 wet dreams of the woman of your choice, and c) hot pro-2A chicks will be mysteriously attracted to you. D) Hair will sprout where you want it to, and e) recede where you don’t.

Pulling the cheek riser is easy. However, I found that the buttpad can also get in the way of the cleaning rod and that’s a bit more of a hassle to remove.

Folding is just easier.

As said above, pulling the barrel and buying a special barrel cleaning rod guide from @pfl338 is pretty darn easy too. I suppose that would negate the folder decision except for resale or collapsing it for shorter bag.

If you live in a place where you are allowed, get the folder.
    You'll be happier and you'll save time & you'll have better resale value.

I need to fold my stock to pull my bolt which I do during travel. For that reason alone the folder is worth it 100%, I'm not screwing with my cheek piece of I can help it. All the points for cleaning are valid also although 90% of the time I just pull the barrel.

Small added benefit for a compact package when needed but that's honestly the least used benefit for me.

Resale value will also hold better. But why would you sell the lord?

• Haha
    Reactions: carbonbased
    Gee, I have thumb screws to remove the cheek rest for cleaning on a fixed AICS. $500 for the folding stock wasn't worth it to me.

I can remove the bolt without having to remove the cheek piece.

Correction-- I can not remove the short action bolt on an AT without removing the cheekpiece. I was getting confused with my short action AICS.

Last edited:
    Gee, I have thumb screws to remove the cheek rest for cleaning on a fixed AICS. $500 for the folding stock wasn't worth it to me.

I can remove the bolt without having to remove the cheek piece.
    thumb screws work on a fixed but after pulling and reinstalling a cheek pieces with o-rings for a "return to zero" I always had to readjust my cheek piece after a few times. The 0-rings just dont consistently hold. As mentioned the $500 you retain if you ever sell it.

and AICS is not an AI. If you get an AI you most certainly cannot remove the bolt with the cheek piece in.

On the aw and at the folding hinge looks like a ugly tumor to me. It takes maybe 30 seconds to take the cheek peice off and who really cleans the barrel anyway. Id go fixed

Everyone has their preferences. Personally I wouldn’t spend the money on a AICS chassis because if you sell it you won’t recoup that cost

That said if I bought another AT I would look for one with a folding hinge already or one priced low enough to justify buying and installing one. So for me it’s a definite selling point

Look for all the guys still trying to source folding hinges for their ATX. It’s something people want be it for cleaning, boresighting, compact storage or just a want/cool factor.

Justifying the cost on a AICS is much less desirable. I absolutely love my thumbhole folding AT. I didn’t care for the feel of my non folding standard AICS chassis on my 700. I thought it be close to the same but I was wrong. Even tried on my B14R rimfire and still didn’t keep it in the end

There's also length to consider. Being able to fold it down makes it easier to put into gun safes, cases, trunks, etc. Particularly if you're running a longer barrel.

Having spent a decade plus wishing my AI had a folder, it's a total no-brainer.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
    thumb screws work on a fixed but after pulling and reinstalling a cheek pieces with o-rings for a "return to zero" I always had to readjust my cheek piece after a few times. The 0-rings just dont consistently hold. As mentioned the $500 you retain if you ever sell it.

and AICS is not an AI. If you get an AI you most certainly cannot remove the bolt with the cheek piece in.
    Go to the hardware store and pick up a couple stop collars.