• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AT vs. AT-X, help me decide **Update: bought an AT-X, first range trip added**

matt33

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2009
Bradford/Susquehanna Co, PA
I haven't posted here in a long time. In 2011, I bought a Sako TRG-22 in .308. I've been thoroughly impressed with its accuracy and quality, but I'm looking to upgrade for quick change barrels, caliber swaps, and 6.5mm ballistics. I'm just getting back into shooting after going through a divorce of few years ago and I have always wanted an AI rifle.

I went to EuroOptic in person last week and put a deposit on the rifle linked below. I like the old-school AI AT look and they had this unfired display model that was just over $4100. I'm amped up to get it, I need to sell my TRG unfortunately, but that's what I've decided to do. I'll buy a .308 barrel for the AT down the road to burn up the supply of 308 ammo and components I have on hand.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Accuracy-...neItemId=6ac16aac-0d8f-49ac-a180-943438d136cb

All of the above said, is there any good reason to get an AI AT-X instead? They were at least $1,000 more and only had the fixed stock version; the AT I put a deposit on is a folder. I'm not second guessing myself, I just never bothered to research the AT-X. Thanks for any advice or input!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mj30wilson900
I was in your shoes and sold my trg22 when I bought my AI. I still miss my Trg22 7 years later. That said I really like my AI, but I don't probably don't change the barrel enough in my short action to really benefit from the quick change feature.

I'd reccomend staying with the AT unless you are competing.

Is there any concern with damaging the aluminum arca rail on the at-x stock? That was my main thought on AT vs AT-X.
Like anything, it can get beat up, but not to the point where it’s unusable, I feel. Unless, you’re purposely slamming it hard on hard.

I’ve also seen guys put dovetails rails on MDT chassis (which has built in dovetail).

AT-X all the way they practically shoot themselves

5FD464BB-8EB6-4301-A8AC-FEBF94B7E349.jpeg

Easy answer, do you compete/ plan to compete or care how easier it is for your AI to stabilize off props? If yes, go ATX.
I should have added, I don't plan to complete, but that would be cool in the future. Realistically, I likely won't be able to make the time for meets with other things in life (single dad to little girl, work 50 hours a week, gym addict, live in the middle of nowhere so everything is a drive, heat my house with firewood from my property, mow 5 acres in summer). Most of my shooting will be prone from a bipod. I have a 300 yard range on my property, and I can get over 800 at my neighbors, probably 1200+ if I asked him nicely.

I just enjoy long range shooting mostly at home, and I really like AI's and Sako TRG's. I'd like to keep the TRG, but I plan one moving the S&B 5-25 to the new AI, so that will save me a lot of money.

I was in your shoes and sold my trg22 when I bought my AI. I still miss my Trg22 7 years later. That said I really like my AI, but I don't probably don't change the barrel enough in my short action to really benefit from the quick change feature.

I'd reccomend staying with the AT unless you are competing.
Yeah, this gives me pause about selling the TRG. I have always later regretted selling firearms that I liked, and I love the TRG. I have 60 days before I need to pick up the AI. I might just save like a madman and keep my TRG. The problem that creates is needing to buy another optic setup, so that's at least another $2,000

I highly suggest you go back for EO and ask if you can get set up both rifles in the prone position. Biggest difference will be grip and trigger since atx uses comp trigger (though I have heavy OEM’s on all of mine). Take your preferred rear bag and bipod if possible

I highly suggest you go back for EO and ask if you can get set up both rifles in the prone position. Biggest difference will be grip and trigger since atx uses comp trigger (though I have heavy OEM’s on all of mine). Take your preferred rear bag and bipod if possible
I wish I would have done that when I was there. I played with the AI AT for at least 30 minutes, including simulating prone by laying my torso over the countertop with the rifle. The trigger seemed great, a hair heavier than my TRG, but nice and crisp. I read that it's adjustable, I'm not sure of it is set light, heavy, or somewhere in between from the factory. The pistol grip seems very ergonomic to me, more so than my TRG. It was heavier than I thought, listed at 12.8 pounds stripped, I think the AT-X is 13.1 pounds which seems like a modest difference, but it's definitely a point in favor of the AT.

I've had an AT, AXSA, AXSR and shoot matches with an AT-X.

The AT is a beautiful rifle, it has really nice smooth comfortable shapes and styling... They really are a beautiful rifle out of the box and are useful for hunting, field work and general range shooting.

The main issue I believe with the AT is how tall the chassis is, if you ever do get out to compete or even just for general barricade style shooting - you'll be working hard to stabilize the AT chassis on barricades and getting it into tight places. Another important issue is, if you plan on doing much tripod shooting with an AT, you will generally need a clamp (Hog Saddle / Vyce etc) or have to attach an RRS / Sawtooth / HRD Gear arca rail or section of picatinny rail underneath. The plastic skins on the AT are much nicer to hold onto in cold weather than the alloy AT-X. The rounded shape of the AT skins is also more comfortable to carry around in the hills.

On the other hand, the AT-X is a lot more 'practical' chassis, for 'modern' styles of shooting. You can change grips to suit your preference. Add folding hinges or keep it fixed. Add short or long NV top rails. The magazine cut out on the left side is helpful. The built in arca rail on the AT-X eliminates the need for any further mods to shoot off tripods or add arca plates. Being that the AT-X sits so much lower on barricades, they are amazing to shoot.

The AT, AXSA and AT-X all share the SAME barelled action, so you're not missing out on anything there.

Really depends what you're interested in... Personally, I regret ever selling my AT... If I had to choose between the AT, AXSA or AT-X... I would probably go the AT-X, it's the best of all three mashed together.
AI AT2.jpg

Last edited:
Having had the old school AW, AX, and now the AT-X. The AT-X is the most versatile and hands down the best do all rifle AI makes outside of the big magnums. The ATX excels at match type shooting, its light enough in certain configurations to hunt with comfortably, and the low bore axis makes shooting it a breeze.

I been thinking about picking up an AT-X and I got the dry fire an AT-X Gen 2 the other day. The owner mentioned his dislike of the rifle and was kind enough to let me handle it. For those with a AI AT-X rifle, what do you guys think about the feel of the bolt as it closes. Not sure if this is just a sample of one but man it was disruptive to close the bolt. Where the rifle cants as it is being close. I saw the owner constantly loose sight picture while being on PRS props an he would close the bolt.

I was told that this was inherent from AI designs. My other experience with other 60 degree actions is a Zeus and Curtis. I really want to try another rifle before I buy.

I been thinking about picking up an AT-X and I got the dry fire an AT-X Gen 2 the other day. The owner mentioned his dislike of the rifle and was kind enough to let me handle it. For those with a AI AT-X rifle, what do you guys think about the feel of the bolt as it closes. Not sure if this is just a sample of one but man it was disruptive to close the bolt. Where the rifle cants as it is being close. I saw the owner constantly loose sight picture while being on PRS props an he would close the bolt.

I was told that this was inherent from AI designs. My other experience with other 60 degree actions is a Zeus and Curtis. I really want to try another rifle before I buy.
1. AINA says to run the rifles dry with NO lubrication, the only brand I run dry (nothing on bolt lugs, no oil on firing pin spring)

2. after about 1000 actuations, it smooths out much better, after 2500 it's very smooth (no lube means it'll grind/smooth/polish itself)

3. AT, AT-X, AX all run the exact same action just in different chassis configurations. You'll encounter this issue with any of the AI offerings. Run the gun long enough and it'll go away, though likely not to the point of comparison with custom actions. Well, maybe Jacob Bynum's guns.

1. AINA says to run the rifles dry with NO lubrication, the only brand I run dry (nothing on bolt lugs, no oil on firing pin spring)
This must be new, my 18 AT manual says lightly oil with CLP. I've always run it with a very thin layer of grease. I've been fking up for years! 🤷‍♂️

I'm probably biased, but at a 1000$ premium and no folder, I'd keep rocking the AT if I wasn't competing and all the extra fast guy gear that entails. Straight AT loses off barricades, but if that's your metric you'd grab an impact or any other 'light throw' option.

...Plus if I squint hard, the AT almost looks like an AW. Green meanie green is the one true color!

This must be new, my 18 AT manual says lightly oil with CLP. I've always run it with a very thin layer of grease. I've been fking up for years! 🤷‍♂️

I'm probably biased, but at a 1000$ premium and no folder, I'd keep rocking the AT if I wasn't competing and all the extra fast guy gear that entails. Straight AT loses off barricades, but if that's your metric you'd grab an impact or any other 'light throw' option.

...Plus if I squint hard, the AT almost looks like an AW. Green meanie green is the one true color!
@tomirwin

Would love to get an answer on lubrication for AIs.

Dry or CLP? Which locations?

Saw a Youtube video where the person lubricated pretty much everything with a thick layer on his AI.

AT…. It really lacks nothing except for certain positional situations. If you want later, you can transition to the AO/Vision chassis and that’s where all of the choices play in your favor…

Get an AT. Shoot the piss out of it. Then get the Vision chassis upgrades.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, hoping to pick up an AT or AT-X this year.
I'm wondering if the best of both worlds (aesthetically and functionally) would be to get the AO/Vision chassis and do the thumbhole stock upgrade.

The bare AT-X chassis should eventually be available so if you do end up competing then this could be an upgrade you do later.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, hoping to pick up an AT or AT-X this year.
I'm wondering if the best of both worlds (aesthetically and functionally) would be to get the AO/Vision chassis and do the thumbhole stock upgrade.

The bare AT-X chassis should eventually be available so if you do end up competing then this could be an upgrade you do later.
Call MileHigh and Euro. They get demos and used ATs in from time to time. I got mine from MileHigh like that; came with 2 barrels, bipod, case, etc. Bought the thumbhole skins from Sporting UK and I couldn’t be happier.

The AO/Vision chassis may be the only upgrade I do eventually.

I have an elite sand atx I'll be listing for sale when I get home in a few weeks, has an extra carbon 65cm bartlein barrel, internal/external weights, hoptic quiver/cheek pad, I'd make you a sweet deal on it!

I prefer to get at least 500-1k dry cycles on my AIs before lubing them. As has been mentioned, running them without oil for a while will help smooth them out significantly.

Once I have about 1k cycles on the bolts, I’ll start greasing the backs of the lugs with a light coat on the cocking ramp. An AI will always feel heavier relative to a 90 degree 2-lug action, especially with cock-on-close, but certainly not to the point that it should affect sight picture or positional stability.

Re: OP’s question, it ultimately depends on use… ATX is a purpose built comp gun, AT is more for general use. Can’t go wrong with either.

2E2916A9-535A-40D8-9C31-C8E613FB9569.jpeg

As a hardcore AT shooter, with...36? matches under my belt, get the AT-X if you have even the slightest dream of competing.

Another long time TRG shooter here. I’ve been eyeing an AT-X as well. I like the styling of the older AI rifles but the new chassis is much more functional.

Keep the TRG if you can.

Reactions: matt33

It’ll never feel as good as a top tier custom action. I’ve got 2 AI’s (‘15 AT in AO chassis, and an ATX) plus my customs. That notchy feeling on the close doesn’t get much better. I definitely noticed a difference in matches. Especially on super wobbly props with the bolt close of the AI actions how it’ll move you a bit in your fov.

It’ll never feel as good as a top tier custom action. I’ve got 2 AI’s (‘15 AT in AO chassis, and an ATX) plus my customs. That notchy feeling on the close doesn’t get much better. I definitely noticed a difference in matches. Especially on super wobbly props with the bolt close of the AI actions how it’ll move you a bit in your fov.
What do you think of the AT/AO vs the AT-X? Which rifle would you prefer for comp use?
There don't seem to be too many people who have used/own both of these.

Obviously the AT butt/grip is lacking in functionality compared to the AT-X but does the AO forend improve the AT enough to make it a competent comp rifle?

What do you think of the AT/AO vs the AT-X? Which rifle would you prefer for comp use?
There don't seem to be too many people who have used/own both of these.

Obviously the AT butt/grip is lacking in functionality compared to the AT-X but does the AO forend improve the AT enough to make it a competent comp rifle?
So my ATX actually has an AXSR rear so for me it’s about the same. Both fold, both quick adjust for LOP cheek, etc. And my AO is an AT action with AX rear and AO front.

I intend to do a YouTube video at some point cause I’ve only shot the ATX in 3 matches so far. But quick thoughts, I think the AO is a little more versatile only because you can run a 1.250” barrel with the NV bridge if you want as well as it’s Mlok. And sure people don’t like it but let’s be honest, mlok is the most supported attachment method on the market. Want to try a bunch of different brand/styles of weights, want baker wings, want lights lasers and microwaves, mlok has it. I have the MPA comp side rails on my AO.

I like that the ATX allows me to change grips. I run an MKM on mine. But AO has a conversion kit for that. Or GTAC.

Neither is as nice as my custom tho.

Reactions: beetroot
I am also looking to get an AI AT 308 (probably from mile high). I have always wanted one and finally at a place i can get one. how is the factory AI 308 barrel? its a 1-12 twist. How does it perform with bullet weights up to 175? i shoot mostly 168eldm and 175 berger OTM. i ask because it will likely stay a 308 for awhile. Im not really looking to put 5K in a rifle to turn around and get another barrel right away. thanks in advance

To echo what others have said before... The AT-X is the most versatile. But if your intended use is prone shooting off of a bipod, and you like the feel of the AT grip, then I would keep the AT. Both platforms use the same action. The cost savings of the AT puts you 1 grand closer to buying another optic for your TRG.

I put my AI safety in the middle position and cycled the action. I learned that the bolt lug and handle drag was nil. The effort running the bolt handle was almost entirely due to cocking the firing pin. Compared to other 3-lug actions (Sako TRG-22, BAT 3L) the AI required more effort. Not a small difference.

Reactions: ZY100
I put my AI safety in the middle position and cycled the action. I learned that the bolt lug and handle drag was nil. The effort running the bolt handle was almost entirely due to cocking the firing pin. Compared to other 3-lug actions (Sako TRG-22, BAT 3L) the AI required more effort. Not a small difference.
I observed same. You'd think as stiff the bolt lift is, it'd be 100% cock on open.

Got my AIAT I ordered from euro optic today. What are the two small 4mm hex screw that comes sealed with the manual. Extra screws for the action for the quick change barrel torque?

So my ATX actually has an AXSR rear so for me it’s about the same. Both fold, both quick adjust for LOP cheek, etc. And my AO is an AT action with AX rear and AO front.

I intend to do a YouTube video at some point cause I’ve only shot the ATX in 3 matches so far. But quick thoughts, I think the AO is a little more versatile only because you can run a 1.250” barrel with the NV bridge if you want as well as it’s Mlok. And sure people don’t like it but let’s be honest, mlok is the most supported attachment method on the market. Want to try a bunch of different brand/styles of weights, want baker wings, want lights lasers and microwaves, mlok has it. I have the MPA comp side rails on my AO.

I like that the ATX allows me to change grips. I run an MKM on mine. But AO has a conversion kit for that. Or GTAC.

Neither is as nice as my custom tho.
Not to derail things, but do you happen to have a pic of the MPA side rails fitted to the vision forend?
Appreciated
Pete

Got my AIAT I ordered from euro optic today. What are the two small 4mm hex screw that comes sealed with the manual. Extra screws for the action for the quick change barrel torque?
buttstock spacers? i got two each of a few different lengths.

Update: I saved a little longer, upgraded to the AT-X, and decided to keep my Sako TRG. I ordered a Vortex G3 Razor 6-36x, and I'm currently looking a Sphur mounts (I have one on my TRG). I just starting hearing about American Rifle Company M-Brace mounts, they are quite a bit cheaper and seem highly recommended, some even say better than Sphur. Anyone have any preference regarding ARC vs. Sphur?

I might get a front bridge down the road, do any of you folks know the lowest height mount that will clear the 56mm objective?

ai at-x.jpg

Last edited:
Update: I saved a little longer, upgraded to the AT-X, and decided to keep my Sako TRG. I ordered a Vortex G3 Razor 6-36x, and I'm currently looking a Sphur mounts (I have one on my TRG). I just starting hearing about American Rifle Company M-Brace mounts, they are quite a bit cheaper and seem highly recommended, some even say better than Sphur. Anyone have any preference regarding ARC vs. Sphur.

I might get a front bridge down the road, do any of you folks know the lowest height mount that will clear the 56mm objective?

View attachment 8106057
If you don’t the full NV bridge on the ATX you can get away with a 1.18” spuhr. If you do then you’ll need a 1.5”.
I use a 1.18” with a full bridge, no top rail, and the high action rail. Clears no problem with my TT, ZCO, Kahles and MK5.

20230503_184327.jpg

I am in love with this rifle. I didn't have much time to shoot before it got dark, but after getting it zero'd, I shot 3 groups at 100 yards using Hornady 140 ELD-M:
.494"
.336"
.317"

I'm going try to find time to shoot at 300 yards tomorrow, and much further in the coming weeks. This was an expensive set up, but it put a smile on my face. It's an incredible platform.

Attachments

• 20230506_194600.jpg
    20230506_194600.jpg
    768.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 20230506_194805.jpg
    20230506_194805.jpg
    983.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 20230506_195028.jpg
    20230506_195028.jpg
    672.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 20230506_202631.jpg
    20230506_202631.jpg